986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Drop Links - Tarett vs. OEM (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/48416-drop-links-tarett-vs-oem.html)

iaincamp 09-16-2013 03:20 AM

Drop Links - Tarett vs. OEM

My front suspension on my '01 Boxster S with 30K miles rattles badly at slow speeds on uneven pavement. The only components for which I can determine any play are the drop links. I tightened them up, and the rattle seemed to lessen. I about to install an OEM M030 front and rear sway bar, and replace my drop links. OEM drop links are $75/pr, including various nuts. Tarett Engineering are $275 with the nuts. Given that I attend as many DE events as possible, running Nitto 01 tires, does anyone here have experience with the difference these drop links might make? Thanks.

Topless 09-16-2013 06:47 AM

Tarret Drop links are a lot more robust and fully adjustable. No performance advantage on stock sways but they take a lot of abuse. If you are running a lot of DEs and are already into R-Comp tires you are probably camber starved and need PSS9s and adjustable comp sways. Suspension mods really become necessary once you get off street tires. Welcome to the slope. ;)

spendy 09-16-2013 01:01 PM

One factor to consider with the tarret style links is that they can be noisy on the street. If that is important, you might want to consider Powergrid adjustable links, which appear to use a factory style end rather than a heim joint. I have them on my 987, and the seem to be working pretty well. I believe you can also get rubber boots for the tarret links that can be used to quiet them down.

iaincamp 09-16-2013 06:06 PM

Thanks. I really appreciate the sound advice.

RandallNeighbour 09-16-2013 07:00 PM

"Sound" advice! Hahahaha! :)

black_box 10-29-2013 07:07 PM

If you just want to quiet the thing up, you can get Moog brand links for 25/pair with warranty. The are direct replacement for OEM and have identical quality from what I could tell.

thstone 10-29-2013 08:27 PM

Since you seem to be on the slippery slope, I'd suggest investing in the Tarett end links now rather than install replacement OEM's only to replace them again later with the Tarett links when you go to PSS9's.

Same thing for the sway bars - you might as well go with the GT-3 adjustable front bar and the Tarett rear bar because you'll want those anyway when you install the PSS9's.

And as long as I'm spending your money :), might as well start saving for the GT-3 lower adjustable control arms too because they will save you a fortune in tires by allowing the big camber that those NT-01's are craving.

I'll also get on my soap box and remind folks to remember to upgrade your safety equipment as you upgrade the car and as your skills improve. In regards to safety, EXCEED the minimum requirements!

trygve 11-03-2013 07:01 AM

I just saw this thread and it reminded me that I have a set of front Tarett drop links available. I'd be happy to give them a new home for a good price. They have the Tarett dust boots and are in great shape, having run probably 2 years of track events. I switched to the Tarett "long drop links" system so these came off. Email me if interested -- trygve (at) gmail

Brad Roberts 01-01-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

One factor to consider with the tarret style links is that they can be noisy on the street
Horsesheet :)

Please, please provide me with a video showing this "noise" on the street. I've been installing them since 04 (40-50 cars at this point) 99% of the time people complain about heim joint noise?? it's something else in the suspension.

I will say this: On occasion, he does get bad batches of monoballs, but they are caught in house before they go out (pants pulled down issue 4-5 years ago on some 944 upper monoballs that made it to the public)

B