Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

Really good iPhone GPS laptimer

I get asked a lot how I create my track videos.
Example: Carrera vs. Boxster in Thunderhill clockwise (reverse) - YouTube

It's basically a combination of good GPS data acquisition a GoPro and using TrackVision (or RaceRenderer) to overlay the GPS data and the video

For the GPS data acquisition: Until now I was using a PocketPC based solution called "MaxQData". The company went bust a long time ago and my old PocketPC isn't very stabile anymore, so I was looking for alternatives.

Harry's Laptimer is nice but I missed the "predictive lap timing"
(Predictive laptiming gives you immediate feedback if you lost or gained time by - example - trying a different approach to a turn).

And finally I found that a fellow Porsche racer (he drives a 993 TT) apparently bough the rights to "MaxQData" ported it to the iPhone/iTouch and is now selling it for very little money under the name CMSLapTimer Pro in the iPhone app store.

You will need an external GPS module which will set you back by about $100, but then you will have more functionality than much more expensive standalone solutions.

CMSLapTimer Pro even allows you to record a video of your session which you can watch (with GPS data overlay) right after your session
CMS Lap Timer Pro video + data overlay - YouTube
So if you don't want to go the "super fancy" route using TrackVision or RaceRenderer to create your YouTube vidoes, you're all set.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the company or developer, but we exchanged a few e-mails while troubleshooting one little bug (which he immediately fixed).

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 07-21-2012 at 07:20 AM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

soo...this is better than Harry's lap timer in all areas??

Have you tried using the iphone for video? If so how are you mounting it so that you have it on the roll bar and see your posture and the road?

Last edited by jaykay; 07-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

Q: Is it better than Harry's in all areas?
A: Well, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder...
For me it is. I didn't use Harry's a lot but here is where I see the the advantages of CMS over Harry:
a) predictive lap-timing: a GPS laptimer takes samples every 0.1 ~ 0.2 seconds (depending on which GPS you are using), which means you have hundreds of virtual beacons in one lap. CMS (and for example AIIM Solo) take full advantage of this and display "Time since last been here" a.k.a. "predictive laptiming". You get instant feedback if you're slower or faster than your last lap, ANYWHERE on the track, not just when passing the start/finish line
b) CMS allows portrait and landscape mode, Harry only allows portrait. My iPhone is attached to the windscreen and I like it out of the way as much as possible, Obviously with landscape mode it's much easier to do that
c) Video recording. If I recall it right, when Harry's is recording video, you no longer see your laptimes while you drive. With CMS you still see your laptimes (you get the same screen no matter if you're recording video or not), the video is rendered after the session is over
d) I am not sure if Harry's allows you to compare two lap side by side in the lap analysis screen, CMS does
e) Where Harry currently has an edge is OBDII data integration (and display of current gear - if you have OBDII), I understand that CMS is working on this as well

Q: How do you mount your iPhone on the rollbar?
A: I don't and have no plans to (I am using a GoProHD for that). My main objective for the laptimer is to see my "predictive" lap times while driving, and for that the iPhone obviously needs to be in-sight and therefore is mounted to the windscreen.
What I do like however is the fact that just a few minutes after the session is over (when the rendering is finished) I can review my lap with video and "telemetry" on my iPhone
One video for a 20 ~ 25 minutes session is a little less than 2 GB, so make sure you have enough free space.

Last edited by ChrisZang; 07-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #4

Garage
This looks really great! Thanks for posting
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

How do you mount the phone to the windscreen?
Bruce
moonrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
So this can also be used with an iPod Touch? Would there be any difference in the process by using one of those as opposed to an iPhone?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
So this can also be used with an iPod Touch? Would there be any difference in the process by using one of those as opposed to an iPhone?
I am actually using a 32 GB iPod Touch.
The only difference is that finding a solution to mount an iTouch to the windscreen is harder to find. I jerry-rigged myself a windscreen mount made from an iTouch belt holster and the windscreen mount for a garmin Nuvi GPS (parts for both can be found on eBay for less than $10)

I'll post more details later
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
These mounts work great for iphone/ipod touch:
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

"Redneck windscreen iTouch mount"

Here is what I used for my "redneck windscreen iTouch mount":

BLACK ROTATING BELT CLIP HOLSTER CASE APPLE IPOD TOUCH 4:
BLACK ROTATING BELT CLIP HOLSTER CASE APPLE IPOD TOUCH 4 ACCESSORY | eBay

Car Suction Mount Cradle Holder for GARMIN NUVI 265:
Car Suction Mount Cradle Holder for GARMIN NUVI 265 265T 265WT 270 275 275T 465T | eBay

From the clip holster we only need the part which holds the iTouch (duh), so take of the belt clip off and you're left with the cradle, you might need to dremel off a piece of plastic which sticks out from the back.

Now we have to create something which allows us to mount it to the windscreen.
Now dremel off the protruding parts on the side of the Garmin Nuvi holder and you're left with a baseplate which is attached to the suction mount.
Now hot glue your two parts together, make sure that the suction mount is not in the line of sight of the camera (in the picture you'll see that the suction mount is not centered, which is not a problem as the ball of the suction mount sits very tight). I also attached two strips of velcro (only the felt part) to stop the iTouch from wiggling in the cradle

The final product looks like this:

Last edited by ChrisZang; 07-28-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That's...rather nifty! I'm impressed...hm...maybe time to start hunting for this stuff.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #11

Garage
Has the suction mount ever fallen off at speed? Mine has sometimes come off during normal driving,and I think that would be exciting on the track. Perhaps I just have a low quality mount.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
These mounts work great for iphone/ipod touch:
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
Thanks D! these look really good for the iphone....just have to get hold of the roll bar mount or adapt one
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #13

Just did my first Autocross over the weekend, and researched iPhone GPS lap timers. It appears Harry's has a predictive lap timing feature:

Harry's GPS Suite Forum • View topic - More Fields in Timer Views

Does CMS handle this differently/better? They are both around $20.