986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Laguna Seca Video (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/37279-laguna-seca-video.html)

thstone 09-07-2012 03:49 PM

Laguna Seca Video

Here is a video from two weeks ago at Laguna Seca with the Porsche Owners Club (POC). This is the time trial group (all of the other groups were full race groups). Great fun!

Tom Stone at MAZDA RACEWAY Laguna Seca in his Porsche Boxster - YouTube

jaykay 09-08-2012 07:16 AM

Looks nice there! I need a job in Cali. Wide open tracks to drive all year round? Holy crow!

Boxster586 09-09-2012 06:09 PM

Laguna Seca is on my bucket list.

I wish I could be as smooth, relaxed, and composed as you appear to be.....especially in traffic!

Very cool video. I can't imagine the amount of time you had to spend to synchronize the all of the various camera angles to the gps data.

Thanks for posting.

san rensho 09-10-2012 02:51 PM

Laguna Seca is on my bucket list too. Very good driving Tom. Anything that passed you, and I think it was only 1 911, was because it had way more HP on the straights, but you got right back up on them in the corners. What was up with that black Boxster then ran way wide in turn 2, was slow and then didn't let you by?

I didn't realize the track was that slow. Start/finish straight is about 100-110 and the corkscrew entrance is about 40. When you go down the corkscrew are you on the gas or off? My home track, Homestead Miami is dead flat and I have no idea how to go fast on downhill corners.

Topless 09-10-2012 04:01 PM

Nice driving Tom. Canyon does a great job with their video production. :cheers:

thstone 09-10-2012 04:11 PM

The video was put together by Kent Elliot of Canyon Run Videos. I couldn't ever produce anything near that professional myself!

I can't say what the guy in the black Boxster was thinking (or not thinking). I just waited patiently until we got to the front straight and then passed him as safely as I could.

I brake hard coming into the corkscrew, down shift to 3rd, and as I go past the left apex I am back on full throttle down the hill and through the right hand exit. Then I shift to 4th as I go into the following left at Turn 9.

thstone 09-10-2012 04:20 PM

The video has a good shot of a GT-3RS that I catch in the corners just run away from me on the front straight and then I nearly catch him back in Turn 2 (7:49 into the video).

Topless 09-10-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 305573)
The video has a good shot of a GT-3RS that I catch in the corners just run away from me on the front straight and then I nearly catch him back in Turn 2 (7:49 into the video).

Tom Mueller I think. Nice guy, nice car!!!

Bob O 09-10-2012 05:48 PM

A track I'd love to drive!. wow. lots of fun. Nice video. I too am surprised how slow the track is, but aren't elevation changes a blast?? lol. Heartland Park, my home track, has some nice hills and dips and they're tons of fun.

How close to the edge were you in your BSR? 90%, 70%, ?? I have no reference since I've never driven one. Please don't take offence, I'm just asking. :)

Thanks for the vid

Bob

Little "t" 09-10-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 305572)
I can't say what the guy in the black Boxster was thinking (or not thinking). I just waited patiently until we got to the front straight and then passed him as safely as I could.

That was Terry Davis...

jb92563 09-10-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 305229)
Looks nice there! I need a job in Cali. Wide open tracks to drive all year round? Holy crow!

Come on down Jaykay.

I did in 2000 after 39 years of life between Oakville and Missisauga, you will not regret it, and there are tons of hotties down here that make Toronto girls look like prudes. The girls down here like foreigners ;).

I've had more dates in 5 years here than in 20 years up North.
I dove in head first to the California scene and the stories I could tell....wow, I have enough material for a couple very steamy novels and a documentary on the San Diego Steamy Underground . ..and that was before I got the Porsche.

Johnny Danger 09-11-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 305602)
Come on down Jaykay.

I did in 2000 after 39 years of life between Oakville and Missisauga, you will not regret it, and there are tons of hotties down here that make Toronto girls look like prudes. The girls down here like foreigners ;).

I dove in head first to the California scene and the stories I could tell....wow, I have enough material for a couple very steamy novels and a documentary on the San Diego Steamy Underground . ..and that was before I got the Porsche.

Don't worry, I have some of your exploits on micro-film .

jaykay 09-11-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Come on down Jaykay.

Did you say steamy underground? I ....think you may stumbled upon my long lost trigger phrase....!

Sheesh...You have convinced me! I am in Miserablesauga right now!

PM me with suitable employment prospects pronto!

PS I have a wrangler and had a Lebaron; it's sign!

jb92563 09-11-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 305615)
Don't worry, I have some of your exploits on micro-film .

I might need those for the Documentary.

The places I've been have been rather discreet and its also been the places where I have met some Hollywood celebs.

Had breakfast with Connie Chung and friends, hung out at the bar with Billy Idol for a drink, been to parties with some high ranking Government types etc. Seems like the celebs are always looking for a new thrill.

I wish I could tell about all the fun Ive had down here, but this is not the right place.

The average person has no clue what goes on behind closed doors here, and you wont read about it anywhere, but lets just say its a feast for all the senses to the extreme at times and would make for a very interesting read since most people like to live vicariously by hearing others experiences. (No wonder reality shows are so popular)

jb92563 09-11-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 305625)
Did you say steamy underground? I ....think you may stumbled upon my long lost trigger phrase....!

Sheesh...You have convinced me! I am in Miserablesauga right now!

PM me with suitable employment prospects pronto!

PS I have a wrangler and had a Lebaron; it's sign!

What are your skills? I know a place where sailors go to get interrogated and tortured so if you have strong disciplinary skills :p
(everything is a contest for them....:D)

thstone 09-11-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 305574)
Tom Mueller I think. Nice guy, nice car!!!

Yes, that's Tom's car. We hung out together all weekend.

thstone 09-11-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob O (Post 305579)
A track I'd love to drive!. wow. lots of fun. Nice video. I too am surprised how slow the track is, but aren't elevation changes a blast?? lol. Heartland Park, my home track, has some nice hills and dips and they're tons of fun.

How close to the edge were you in your BSR? 90%, 70%, ?? I have no reference since I've never driven one. Please don't take offence, I'm just asking. :)

Thanks for the vid

Bob

My car is really a BSX and not a true BSR. I'd say that I was running about 90% of the capability of the car because other fairly equal cars were lapping ~3 secs ahead of me. The true BSR's were 5-7 sec's ahead of me.

thstone 09-11-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Come on down Jaykay.

I went to college in San Diego and worked there for several years after graduation. The real underground is in Tijuana. Of course, that was before the drug lords turned it into a killbox.