986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Advantages of 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/36788-advantages-986-a.html)

j.fro 08-13-2012 03:36 PM

Advantages of 986

So, we know the advantages of many competing cars: Subarus have AWD and more power, vettes have gobs of torque and good brakes, Lotus are light and nimble
What are our advantages? What should we be making the most of??
I know our brakes are great, so we can often out brake other cars, and I also know the car rotates very well, so we're good in the slow, tight areas.
What are everyone else's opinions about where the 986 shines in racing situations?

The Radium King 08-13-2012 04:30 PM

expensive maintenance keeps the wallet light so that there is weight in the car whilst on the track.

Johnny Danger 08-13-2012 05:49 PM

I've been driving a 2011 WRX STi off and on for the last few months . Great platform vehicle with tremendous potential through an endless array of aftermarket support. However, in it's stock form, it feels flaccid compared to the Dangermobile. As far as a Vette is concerned, regardless of power or performance they will always be Tony Pepperoni cars in my mind. Lastly, I had occasion to drive a few Lotus Elises and Exiges in the past - the Exige being the much more impressive of the two . Still, the engines felt like a "gerbil was being whipped along a pulley", and the driving manner (or lack thereof) of either vehicle was way too primitive for my liking. Worse, IMO they both look like a high top sneaker. On the other hand, the 986 has poise and refinement, along with enough sports car DNA to satisfy most enthusiasts .

BYprodriver 08-13-2012 06:57 PM

I guess chassis layout, design & overall light weight of the whole car is the biggest advantage. Then next is the steering,& braking, all of these are among the best available at anywhere near comparable cost with the possible exception of the lighter Lotus. I have not driven a Lotus so I can't compare them.

thstone 08-13-2012 08:10 PM

Tremendous steering feedback, incredibly powerful brakes, excellent throttle response and power from the flat-6, and perfectly balanced handling make the 986 a top choice for sport/performance driving. No other car can match this combination of virtures.

Ask me how I know... (last Saturday on the banking in Turn 1/2 at AutoClub Speedway without lifting from full throttle at 125mph)

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...c/StoneACS.jpg

j.fro 08-14-2012 08:59 AM

I guess what I'm fishing for are advantages 986 autocrossers are able to use to get the better of the rest of the field.
When you autocross your 986, what are the things you know you need to do well in order to compete against the rest of the field?

ProjectM96 08-14-2012 11:23 AM

I love the steering feedback and response. But I hate the weight of the steering wheel. It is heavy, making the car feel heavy.

I love the engine sound. Nothing beats Porsche engine noise in my opinion.

Stroked & Blown 08-14-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 301584)
I guess what I'm fishing for are advantages 986 autocrossers are able to use to get the better of the rest of the field.

Momentum :)

LAP1DOUG 08-15-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 301584)
When you autocross your 986, what are the things you know you need to do well in order to compete against the rest of the field?

I would say that good throttle steering manners is one of the best benefits if you get the set-up right.

After about a year of experimentation with sway bar settings, damper settings, and camber and toe settings, my car has now taken several FTD's in local autocrosses against several pure race cars that are brought in on trailers.

However, it doesn't take much mis-adjustment to get off the mark and find snap oversteer, or too much understeer.

I think autocross is a great venue for experimentation to find the optimum set-up. I know some people think a track set-up is different, but in my experience when you find a fast and well mannered set-up for autocross, it will be fast and well mannered at serious speed on a race track.

Good luck

Little "t" 08-15-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 301529)
Tremendous steering feedback, incredibly powerful brakes, excellent throttle response and power from the flat-6, and perfectly balanced handling make the 986 a top choice for sport/performance driving. No other car can match this combination of virtures.

Ask me how I know... (last Saturday on the banking in Turn 1/2 at AutoClub Speedway without lifting from full throttle at 125mph)

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...c/StoneACS.jpg

Man I love the way your car looks! Congratulations!

jbs986 08-30-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 301514)
I've been driving a 2011 WRX STi off and on for the last few months . Great platform vehicle with tremendous potential through an endless array of aftermarket support. However, in it's stock form, it feels flaccid compared to the Dangermobile. As far as a Vette is concerned, regardless of power or performance they will always be Tony Pepperoni cars in my mind. Lastly, I had occasion to drive a few Lotus Elises and Exiges in the past - the Exige being the much more impressive of the two . Still, the engines felt like a "gerbil was being whipped along a pulley", and the driving manner (or lack thereof) of either vehicle was way too primitive for my liking. Worse, IMO they both look like a high top sneaker. On the other hand, the 986 has poise and refinement, along with enough sports car DNA to satisfy most enthusiasts .

I own a 2002 Boxster and a 2006 Lotus Elise, I love both cars.The Lotus is my track car and the Boxster is my DD, The Lotus will out perform my Boxster in EVERY way on the track.and is a great car.

As for it's looks? to each-his own..I have always have gotten nothing but compliments on the Lotus.The Boxster is the best mid-engine,convertible sports car money can buy and I love driving it with the top down.:)

Crono0001 08-30-2012 11:56 PM

It drops panties quick than my WRX does

Skrapmot 08-31-2012 12:34 AM

I don't feel like I'm going die coming off an off-ramp in the rain like in my old 911s, people can see me more than my old Miata, and I don't feel like I'm 21 years old like my old Suburu, and I don't feel as redneck as my old Mustang GT.

Plus I alway got lots of complements on my 911 from guys, but I get lots more compliments from ladies on my Boxster, even my wife thinks its sexier. Go figure?