Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
May '12 CVR PCA Autocross

Second Autocross of the 2012 season, and even more fun than the first one! There were nearly 50 cars registered this time, from a 1974 914, to an old 911S targa, to a 997 Carrera GTS (this guy's first event, and a beautiful car), to a 997 GT3RS (droooool). A 993 turbo showed up too, but didn't run much to my disappointment...sure was nice to stare at parked next to me, though.

"Other" cars included a Lotus Exige, 2 Elises, a Jaguar XJS (completely stripped inside, save the walnut dash and producing a lovely sound), an '04 C5 Corvette Z06, a MK I Rabbit GTI, an Audi TT RS, an Audi A4, an '07 Mustang GT, an '04 BMW 3-Series (pretty sure it wasn't an M3), an '04 Mazda 3S, an '03 Mini Cooper (base), an '06 Infiniti G35, and an 06 Subaru Impreza (I don't think it was a WRX).

I will be posting up a map of this months course and some pics my friend took, as well as some videos from his GoPro on the Boxster if they become available.

Here are the results from the event, which has all the cars listed that participated and their times:

Final Results - Autocross 2 5-20-12 - Sun 05-20-2012

This one was a great one: beautiful weather, a huge assortment of cars, and there were so many that we actually had to release cars 2 at a time (staggered) on the track. You'll see in some of the images that there is another car in the background on the back end of the course as the car in the foreground is going by.

I posted my best time (unexpectedly) right after our lunch break, and was unable to duplicate or improve on it, unfortunately. The videos don't show my best run, but are about a second slower or less. Still, I had a ton of fun, and learned quite a bit from the way this course was set up. There was one hairpin purposely made to make or break your run. If you nailed it along with most of the rest of the course, you'd get a good time. If you blew it, came in too hot and overshot into the gravel, came in too hot and spun on the exit, or braked to early/hard and slowed too much, you could forget posting a good time, and all of that happened all throughout the day.

And I must say, there was a guy in an identical, stock (as far as I could tell) 97 silver Boxster just like mine, only on the base model 16 inch wheels, who ran 4 seconds faster than me. He was just super smooth and nailed everything...incredibly fast, and humbling. Even his slowest time was a half second faster than my fastest.

The Mk I Rabbit has sort of become my friendly rival. The driver and I are both new to autocrossing, but he always manages to get around just a little faster than me each time. I kept catching up to his times and he kept on setting faster ones, but also giving me advice and tips on what he was doing throughout the course as we both worked on decreasing our times.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the June one. I've really gotten hooked on these now.

Pics and other media on the way later tonight!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Track Map

First things first, here's the course layout for this month:

The change to red is where the last half of the course begins, and shows how you run through the latter part of the course twice before turning off for the finish gate.

The beginning slalom provided an optional route, and I chose to put the first cone on my left for all but one of my runs. The map is a bit misleading on this, as the last cone is considerably closer than it shows here, making you have to tap the brakes to give the front tires some grip for what ends up being a sharper turn than what's shown. I chose the right because I figured it would help me avoid having to navigate the last cone of the slalom, but its actual placement proved that this was not really the case. I still preferred it to the left hand approach, since I had done it so many times, and I was simply used to it.

Where the line changes from blue to red is the 180 turn I mentioned before. It seems rather wide in the picture, but it turns out to be rather tight, or at least seems that way if you end up swinging way out to take it due to braking too late. We had a good number of people powersliding through this part, and most times they were able to hold it and head straight for the next turn. Some folks even ended up downshifting into first so they could really take off at the exit.

I didn't take a picture of last month's map, and I'm wishing I had, so I could compare this one to the last one. I found this track to be more fun, and it was definitely faster to get through.

One other thing I have to mention that I did differently from last month was set the front tire pressures to 36psi to match the rears. This could have been part of why I did as well as I did this time around. I've noticed how much more responsive the car is when set up this way and how the front doesn't lose grip quite as early, even if it does make the front end bump steer and communicate the cracks and bumps in the road more harshly.

Pics of cars will be next, some parked shots and some track shots, and videos will be up as soon as I know they're uploaded.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 05-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Ok, time to see some competitors

The Wascally Wabbit!

The Jag, hard on the brakes...it was fast.

My stock suspension strutting its stuff as I'm leaving the starting gate...

He didn't actually end up holding the slide on this particular one, but I just think this shot is awesome

The fastest car of the day, a modified 1974 911, 31.4 seconds

The Exige S flying up to the 180

The C5 Z06 braking and turning in for the 180

Me braking for the 180, and the Boxster wishing it had an M030 setup...

More to come...apparently we're limited to 10 images per post...

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Shots of the day, continued

Turning for the 180

The driver of this 944 really puts it through its paces...great driver.

Staging, and that's a 944 Turbo in the corner of the pic...and a whole lot of tire dust on the back of the GT3

The GTS, very nice, and the driver was there for his first event, came home with a podium

The GT3 RS

More GT3 RS

Another shot of the 74 911

The Jag getting a bit sideways after the 180

Almost to the exit of the 180

And here's that really pretty 993 turbo...

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Video is finally up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEfWMhQ2pJ4

These are three runs that happened after the lunch break (and right after my fastest run of the day). In the first segment you'll see me take the first slalom cone on its left side, which was the only time I did so. I felt like it kind of threw me off for the rest of the run so I stuck with going to the right as I'd been doing from the start, as you'll see in the other two segments. I believe the middle run (in-car mounted to the back window) is the fastest of the three shown.

In between is my "pep talk" from my friend Joe, which I guess worked ...and at the end is some silliness from another friend who had to be silly just because the camera was still on.

Enjoy. This weekend is the next one, so hopefully I'll have more up, and sooner, in another thread.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top