Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Removing window glass/open trailer

I want to gut out my doors this Winter to cut weight and I wondered how the window openiings were addressed since I use an open trailer. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Bill, Pgh, PA

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

Bill,

Keep your stock glass and place two bolts through the upper beam support with fuel hose on the bolts (or heat shrink) When transporting the car (hopefully to Sebring PCA event..lol) and slide the glass down into the door resting on the two bolts. If you have a factory hardtop, push on the top of the glass to shut the door. This will make the glass go under/into the rubber like it was rolling up into it.

I'll *try* to get some pics of a door and some glass today
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #3

Any pics would be great, I do have a factory hardtop. I have to remove all the trim and headliner from the hardtop, someone said all the trim just snaps out, is this true? Bill, PGH, PA
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Leave the rubber trim on the top that the window goes up into. The weight savings is minimal and it will NOT interfere with any of the cage designs out there. You will thank me later when you arrive to NJMP/Summit/Glen/VIR after a long haul and 3 hours of rain!! lol

It takes about 1 hour to gut the plastic and head liner out of the top. Save it all!!

B
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #5

Here we go. Here are some shots of the door and how I cut it for "enclosed" trailer owners and how we do it differently for people we know who will tow "open"

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
The hardtop is easily gutted. The plastic pieces on each side and along with the header are held in place by plastic clips. My recollection is you remove both side pieces first and then the header piece. Once they are removed you can remove the headliner. It will be clear how to remove the headliner once the plastic pieces are out of the way. I didn't remove the sound installation shown in this pic but I would guess it is easily removed if you want it out.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

The factory hard top looks like ASS with that rubber removed. I can give you 1000 other tips on where/how to remove weight. We have a 2.5 Boxster out there running SCCA that weighs 1950. I know how to get weight out. That same car could have easily ended up 1930
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

Use brake clean and soak the "fire blanket" that is glued in above your head!! It will scrape off with a 6inch wide "putty" knife. Then clean up with brake clean and rags.