986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   PCA-GGR DE #5 - Laguna Seca - Rules making my head spin ! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/30620-pca-ggr-de-5-laguna-seca-rules-making-my-head-spin.html)

nefarious986 10-11-2011 10:13 PM

PCA-GGR DE #5 - Laguna Seca - Rules making my head spin !

Hey guys,

Interested in making this my first D/E but the rules are making my head spin. I apologize for such a long post but I have a lot of questions .. I'll try to organize it as best I can..

----------------------------

TECH FORM

I understand most of the stuff on the tech form here ( http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/pdf/DEeventtechform13.pdf ) .. EXCEPT ..

Competition Belts - comply with DE Minimum Standards/must replace every 5 years (2006 or newer) .. not sure if my OEM seat belt meet the standard or do I need race harness ? If yes, and I don't have race harness will I have to just sit out the timed run portion and end the day early or can I still run untimed ?

----------------------------

RULES + REGULATION FORM

The rules + regulations form here ( http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/pdf/GGR%202011%20AX-DE-TT%20Rules.pdf ) is quite a beast. I have spent 30+ minutes going through this and still am not sure if I need to do anything to be legal to compete .. I don't want to show up and find out I didn't wear the right color / material pants thus I can't participate .. hoping a season expert help me make sense of this stuff .. or atleast help me pass tech and get on grid.

I have:

1. Valid registration, insurance, driver license
2. Current PCA membership
3. Current medical insurance =)

I dont have:

1. Any special racing license
2. Any special racing insurance

My Boxster is pretty much OEM except for these mods:

1. Front bumper
2. Aftermarket rims
3. GT3 brake air duct
4. Stainless steel brakeline

My concerns so far:

Aftermarket rims ( page 6 of rule book ) - All wheels, other than Porsche OEM wheels, must meet SEMA spec 5‐1A or be subject to approval by the tech inspector .. What is SEMA specs 5-1A ? I have ebay rims .. they're not likely to be built to any specs .. LOL ?

OEM Boxster Rollcage is unpadded .. ( page 6 of rule book ) - Any portion of a roll bar/cage assembly within 12 inches of a driver's or passenger's head shall be padded.

OEM Seatbelt ( page 7 of rule book ) - Four‐, five‐ or six‐point harnesses (i.e. any harness system that restrains both shoulders and thereby keeps the driver’s torso upright) may be worn only in non‐open cars or in cars with an adequate roll bar or roll cage .. so I dont need a harness if I have a boxster ( open car ) ?

------------------------------

Thats what I got so far .. and this is already such a long post .. cant imagine what I missed because I didn't spend another 5 hours digging through the rules PDF.

Wish it was simple like A/X. Pay, show up, drive, pick up cones. LOL

Flavor 987S 10-12-2011 03:18 AM

This is a PCA DE. You will be in the Novice run group. Most of the other rules don't apply to your situation.

The main things you need to be aware of are:

1) Recent brake fluid flush
2) Wheel bolts torqued to 96 ft-lbs
3) Attitude- ego in check, humble, and ready to learn!

Have fun. Relax.

Topless 10-12-2011 06:29 AM

Wow! Laguna Seca for your first DE. I am jealous. I have run with PCA-GGR several times but not at Laguna yet. They are good people and a very "safety first" group which is a good thing.

Every group has rules that are specific to them and it is important to be in compliance so you will be able to run. I suggest having your car pre-tech inspected by a shop familiar with GGR requirements in your area to go over specifics. Also contact their Chief Driving Instructor John Tavernetti (johntavernetti@yahoo.com) and explain that this is your first DE and you want to do it right. Perhaps he can assign an instructor in your area who can walk you through the process.

GGR is looking for 3 things: Good cooperation with others, good car control skills, and high safety awareness. If you display these things you will have a great experience with GGR at one of the most amazing racetracks in the world... Laguna Seca.

Have a great time! :cheers:

nefarious986 10-12-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks guys. I just signed up. I'm super excited too. Living in the Bay Area, I always thought it was a shame that I've never been to Laguna. I'm glad that will be rectified shortly. =]

As far as GGR goes, I did the autocross school earlier this year with the same group and had a blast. I liked the way they ran that event. Had tons of fun and learned a great deal from both of my assigned instructors. For this event, I signed up as a 'student' so supposedly there is also an assigned instructor. I'm sure I'll learn tons.

Re: the brake fluid flush .. I just got it all done about 1yr / 2700 miles ago. Did a complete flush to put on the stainless brake lines as well as all new pads / rotors. Do I need to flush again before the event ?

Flavor 987S 10-12-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nefarious986 (Post 260362)
Re: the brake fluid flush .. I just got it all done about 1yr / 2700 miles ago. Did a complete flush to put on the stainless brake lines as well as all new pads / rotors. Do I need to flush again before the event ?

YES!

Taken directly from the form you linked above (and consistant with our Chicago PCA rules):

"Brakes-condition of lines, pads (approx. 50%) Rotors-no heat cracking or wear beyond factory tolerance. Brake Fluid-Reservoir level is OK. Brakes bled within the last 90 days. Firm pedal."

nefarious986 10-12-2011 03:13 PM

Will do .. just thought I could 'get away' with skipping this since I barely drive my car .. 2700 miles in a year .. LOL

Better safe than sorry though .. will get this done.

thstone 10-12-2011 03:27 PM

I'm with Nefarious986. The PCA rules are rather confusing, complicated, and extensive. So much that I've never done an event with them.

After 18 track days with POC, I am finally going to try and do a PCA event in November. Seems like I might as well be trying to qualify for ALMS.

ChrisZang 11-04-2011 08:27 PM

Contact either John Tavernetti (e-mail in topless' post above) or Carl Switzer
switzer DOT carl AT gmail DOT com
the Competition chair, they are great guys and will answer your questions/concerns.

All these rules apply for competitive driving only.
If you have never driven with PCA-GGR before, I can assure you that you will not be in a competition group at this event ;-)
What you will need is a SNELL 2010 or 2005 helmet

mistikuss 11-30-2011 11:49 AM

http://allall.us/smail1.gif