Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #1

Video of 7/13 El Toro AX

Here is a video of my run at El Toro AX event.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_G8OTovxI

Last edited by blueillusion97; 07-14-2008 at 12:07 PM.
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #2

nice, looked like a fun course, i passed on el toro and ax'd with san diego on saturday.... here's the view of the course out the back of my hardtop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7FczSwtPM
986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #3

Nice...AX is just a such fun sport where you can drive at the limit..i think i need to find a cheap way to mount a camera outside that way the course is more visible, now in my vid everything is too bright sice the camera is focusing on dash, while 986barnum video is close to the window and course is much more visible but is in rear, i just dont think i want to mount my camera on front dash
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Blue,

I couldn't open your vid. Bad link??

To solve your exposure problems just set up your cam outside the car before mounting with a fixed exposure and focus. Most cams allow you to do that. When in doubt, get the manual out.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #5

yeah, getting the exposure right can be a pain, especially as bright as it gets at el toro. you can fool around with all the settings or just luck out like i did and have a little bit of cloud cover during the run. my cam is mounted on an i/o port roll bar mount on the rear bar... great for looks out the back, decent for front view with the correct zoom.
986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #6

***Link fixed*** i dont know what happened there it was correct link but only worked when copy paste, anywho works good now.....Next time i will try to mess with setings if im unable to mount it outside
Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
blue forgot to mention that both him and I walked away from El Toro's 13th July auto-x with first place trophies in our classes!

I was in LS since I had suspension mods and he got to run with the LS/S since he doesnt have any mods.

We did pretty well since this was blue's second auto-x and this was my first auto-x ever.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
blue forgot to mention that both him and I walked away from El Toro's 13th July auto-x with first place trophies in our classes!

I was in LS since I had suspension mods and he got to run with the LS/S since he doesnt have any mods.

We did pretty well since this was blue's second auto-x and this was my first auto-x ever.
Actualy its my 3rd but my 2nd didnt turn out so good at all, since my tires were 8 years old and bold i dont think i even learned anything at that event...But this event was by far the best with my Falken Azenis on and Steve with a crazy fast vette as my instructor....he is by far the best instructor i ever had, i learned alot from him.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
Actualy its my 3rd but my 2nd didnt turn out so good at all, since my tires were 8 years old and bold i dont think i even learned anything at that event...But this event was by far the best with my Falken Azenis on and Steve with a crazy fast vette as my instructor....he is by far the best instructor i ever had, i learned alot from him.
How do you like the Azenis? I assume your referring to the Rt-615s correct?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How do you like the Azenis? I assume your referring to the Rt-615s correct?
Yes 615's . I just cant believe why i dont see everyone on those tires. They a cheap but grip like glue. They worm up really fast i didnt even need to go a full course to get them up to temp, also that day it was about 85f to 90f temp outside and i didnt get to overheat them as i read about this problem from some people, to me it was all good. These tires have an amazing grip but once they start to slide they do it very progresive and predictable maner. I found that the best pressure for that day was 42psi hot front and 41psi hot rear that way i got even wear almost all the way to the roll limit line on the sidewall.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #11

Quote:

Well done!

A Hot Lap and a trophy, and just like a good round of golf, you'll be back for more.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #12

My Class was pretty much empty so 1st place wasnt hard, even thou i was able to get beter times than few ppls in other clases with boxsters and S's i believe my 1st place trophy is a bit too much. Maybe next there will be more competition quantity wise and then ill really see how good/bad i am.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox
Well done!

A Hot Lap and a trophy, and just like a good round of golf, you'll be back for more.
Yeah Im thinking about going back to El Toro for the 10th of Aug or Streets of Willow sometime in Sept. It all depends on cash flow and weather not i've bought better tires because while my Nexen N3000 tires are a great bargin and grip well on the streets, they did very bad at the autocross for 2 reasons.

First was that the tarmac on the airfield is pretty old and doesnt have any black sticky tar left on it anymore, you can see white and grey rock surfaces in the tarmac already

second is the tread wear rating on the N3000 is 349 which is about 149 higher than you really want it to be for auto-x so that made it very slippery, to the point where i felt like I had shopping cart wheels

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah Im thinking about going back to El Toro for the 10th of Aug or Streets of Willow sometime in Sept. It all depends on cash flow and weather not i've bought better tires because while my Nexen N3000 tires are a great bargin and grip well on the streets, they did very bad at the autocross for 2 reasons.

First was that the tarmac on the airfield is pretty old and doesnt have any black sticky tar left on it anymore, you can see white and grey rock surfaces in the tarmac already

second is the tread wear rating on the N3000 is 349 which is about 149 higher than you really want it to be for auto-x so that made it very slippery, to the point where i felt like I had shopping cart wheels
What tires are you thinking of? Azenis RT-615's by any chance? if so then ill have some serious competition coming my way , and if youll take all that weight again then ill have to do some serious changes to my driving to keep up for sure
Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #15
Track rat

Garage
I went to the results page at PCA-OCR. You guys both turned some pretty good times. Any time you get within 5 sec of Jackie Corwin in her fully prepared 944SPEC you are doing well. That chick really flies. She is often found in the top ten and a good benchmark for Boxster drivers. Nice driving guys!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
What tires are you thinking of? Azenis RT-615's by any chance? if so then ill have some serious competition coming my way , and if youll take all that weight again then ill have to do some serious changes to my driving to keep up for sure
Yeah im thinking about the Azenis, cant beat the price.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah im thinking about the Azenis, cant beat the price.
F*** YOU then...! who am i gona beat next time???? im just kiding, the way you drive you will love these tires, just keep in mind from what i read they dont tast too long, im yet to test that.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
I went to the results page at PCA-OCR. You guys both turned some pretty good times. Any time you get within 5 sec of Jackie Corwin in her fully prepared 944SPEC you are doing well. That chick really flies. She is often found in the top ten and a good benchmark for Boxster drivers. Nice driving guys!
I also let Steve (he drives a vette) drive my car for one lap, he did it in mid 83 seconds. He is a really good instuctor. If you get a chane to drive with him in his vette make sure you do, SixFlags is nothing compared to that ride.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
F*** YOU then...! who am i gona beat next time???? im just kiding, the way you drive you will love these tires, just keep in mind from what i read they dont tast too long, im yet to test that.
lol i dont want to risk it and get another set of tires and wind up that they arent as grippy as yours lol. Dont worry blue, just bring your boxster into our shop so i can hook you up with some eibachs or H&R's so atleast we will both be on an even playing field.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #20

Quote:
lol i dont want to risk it and get another set of tires and wind up that they arent as grippy as yours lol. Dont worry blue, just bring your boxster into our shop so i can hook you up with some eibachs or H&R's so atleast we will both be on an even playing field.
That is very tempting offer, and that drop would look quite nice, but im trying to save some cash for a rainy day...with this economy you never know when you will need it