Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
DE Blackhawk Farms May 7th

I just signed up for my first DE event. It's the Novice-only one on May 7th at Blackhawk Farms Raceway.

I'm pretty excited, I haven't been to BHF in almost 3 years. I used to do a lot of sportbike trackdays up there so I know the track quite well.

Is anyone else going?

If anyone has advice, tips, or hints to prep my 986 I'd appreciate it. The 2 main things I need to do are get a helmet and flush the brake system. I'm thinking of putting some new pads on even though my pads will probably be ok.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #2

I wish they didn't do them during the week all the time. I live really close and would go more often. I always go to the Octoberfest PCA event there though!
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thats my b-day...

quick, everyone pitch in and sign me up :dance:
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #4

Too bad you aren't coming along, DJ.

Is anyone else going? I am going to be the only 986er at this event?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 PM   #5

I would recommend a brake fluid flush and bleeding. I have never been to this track to know how it "eats brakes" but having brake issues is a real bummer. If it's your first event, and you don't think this will become addictive (yeah, right ) then I would recommend just flushing the brake fluid with a good DOT4 fluid and even new OEM pads. If you think this will be a trend, you might want to upgrade to a track duty brake fluid like ATE Gold and even a performance brake pad.

Most importantly, listen to your instructor. They are there for a reason. You will not impress your instructor with blazing speed. You will impress him/her by doing as they tell you you will impress them by being smooth, patient and having track awareness. Since you have some time there already, you have a jump on the complete newbies.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
I would recommend a brake fluid flush and bleeding. I have never been to this track to know how it "eats brakes" but having brake issues is a real bummer. If it's your first event, and you don't think this will become addictive (yeah, right ) then I would recommend just flushing the brake fluid with a good DOT4 fluid and even new OEM pads. If you think this will be a trend, you might want to upgrade to a track duty brake fluid like ATE Gold and even a performance brake pad.

Most importantly, listen to your instructor. They are there for a reason. You will not impress your instructor with blazing speed. You will impress him/her by doing as they tell you you will impress them by being smooth, patient and having track awareness. Since you have some time there already, you have a jump on the complete newbies.
Thanks for the advice, racer_d. The brakes are definitely the first order of business. This Saturday I'm heading to a friend's shop who I just found out used to do track events in his 911 years ago and is a certified Pcar mechanic. He's going to help me flush my brakes and put the DOT 4 in. He's got an Audi that he tracks... maybe I can convince him to come back to the light. lol

I'll heed your advice and listen closely to the instrustor. I am not going to this even to learn to be fast, I'm going to learn to be smooth. That's a mistake I made when I started out with the sportbike, I tried to hard to be fast. I want to learn how to drive my Boxcar the way it was designed to be driven.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #7

Be sure to check with either the group you are running with or with the track itself for any rules related to "convertibles" or "broomstick tests".

See, the 986 Boxster rollbar hoops are a bit low, so if you are seated, in the car, with a helmet on, and the helmet sits above the "line" drawn from the windshield header and the rollbar, you could be in trouble. You might even try the test now w/o a helmet and realize a helmet will add about 2" to the top of your head.

Where I live, some regions don't enforce the broomstick test.. some are fanatical and even one track (VIR) requires 986 Boxsters to use a Brey Krause Rollbar Extension (about $700 new, used can be had for about 1/2 price).

Its best to know before hand than to get to the track and be told you cant run.

** a popular, and economical, DOT 4 fluid that resists brake fade well is ATE "gold" or ATE "blue". You might want to consider using it.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #8

Chills,

Who are you running with ? Chicago PCA ?

I may be interested...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #9

Yep, doing it through Chicago PCA.

You should come on out.

I'm getting the Pcar prepped. I met a Porsche mechanic recently and he helped me (well he did it while I assisted) flush the brake lines, put new DOT 4 in, flush the coolant, and put new Pcar stuff in. He also inspected the car to make sure she's good to go. He used to do trackdays in his 911 but then sold it for an Audi A4.... which he uses for trackdays.

Now I just need a helmet, gloves, and a set of front pads just in case.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #10

Chills,

Do me a favor. Ask your buddy if there is anything I need to do to my car prior to running a DE at BHF other than an inspection ?

On Oct 1st, Sammy and I replaced all pads and rotors and flushed the brake fluid. Car was in storage from December till February so maybe 2k miles since then. But, I think my tires are at 4/32...

If all is well, I'll probably join you. I have wanted to do a DE for some time, I just didn't want to go solo.

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Chills,

Do me a favor. Ask your buddy if there is anything I need to do to my car prior to running a DE at BHF other than an inspection ?

On Oct 1st, Sammy and I replaced all pads and rotors and flushed the brake fluid. Car was in storage from December till February so maybe 2k miles since then. But, I think my tires are at 4/32...

If all is well, I'll probably join you. I have wanted to do a DE for some time, I just didn't want to go solo.

Thanks,

Nick

There's an inspection sheet on the Chicago PCA site that goes over everything. The brakes are the big thing, but it sounds like you're good there. Also make sure your oil is good because you'll be running your engine hard. Those are the main mechanical things to look for.

It would be cool to have someone out there that I know.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #12

Well, I checked out the tech inspection sheet and looks like I'm SOL

- Brake fluid must be flushed within 90 days

- Street tires must be at least 3/32

Replacement tires are coming soon ( I don't drive the car in the rain )

BTW - 1st Autocross April 20th in Maywood if you are interested...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Well, I checked out the tech inspection sheet and looks like I'm SOL

- Brake fluid must be flushed within 90 days

- Street tires must be at least 3/32

Replacement tires are coming soon ( I don't drive the car in the rain )

BTW - 1st Autocross April 20th in Maywood if you are interested...

Nick

Hmmm. Well we can do the brakes in a couple of hours. When do your tires arrive? you've got a month before the DE event. Do you think you'll have them on beforehand?

As for the autcross thanks but I'm going to hold off until the DE is done. I'd hate to do something to the boxcar that would keep me from passing tech. However I'd be up for one in May or June.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #14

Chills,

Haven't even ordered the tires yet. Think I'll have to pass on this one, maybe next time...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #15

Oh well. Look for me at a future AutoXs.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #16

Hi Chills,

I'll be at BFR that day...I'm a Chicago Region instructor (last 8-9 years) and will have my 911 (green #72) there, as well. Do flush your brakes and even look into a slightly more aggressive pad than OEM. Blackhawk is very hard on brakes and a 986 is certainly not the lightest of cars. If you plan to do more than one or two events, pick up a set of Pagid orange pads or comparable. The new owners of BFR have made some nice improvements and the track has been repaved since you last visited. You will not be the only Boxster; we've been getting quite a few at our events and BFR is a great track for the car. You will also be OK without the rollbar extension; our region does not require them. I assume you will run with stock belts...not the best, but it's also acceptable in the novice groups.

Jerry Matta

Last edited by jmatta; 04-24-2008 at 08:26 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #17

Thanks for the advice, Jerry. I flushed the brakes 2 weeks ago and ordered a set of OEM front pads. My fronts are at 50% and the rears are closer to 70%, so I wanted a set just in case.

I've seen the Pagid pads and will likley get some after this trackday. I learned from sportbikes when upgrading start with brakes, then suspension, then go from there.

I can't wait to see BHF since its been repaved. My trackday friends have good things to say about it. They've also told me the owners redid the shower/bathrooms. Way cool!

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can. I've been watching the roster on the registration site and have noticed the other Boxsters. I also saw some pretty cool 911s will be there, so I'll be sure to have my camera.

Nice color for your car. It matches my trackbike.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #18

Looking at your track bike tells me you have more beans than most of us four wheelers. The track facilities have been greatly improved and hopefully the ruts at track out have been filled. I dented my undercarriage last year whilst jumping a curb and landing in a rut! The green '73 is a lot of fun, but I always run with the GT3s and race prepped cars; mine is only a 2.4 ltr, but handles like a champ. It's fun nonetheless and it will be good to knock the cobwebs out from the long winter. My 17 year old son will be driving my Boxster S this Sunday at the autocross school, so both cars will get their spring workout. Pics to follow...
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #19

LOL, thanks Jerry. I hope to get the bikes back to the track in a couple of years.

How did the Autocross school go for your son? Any pics? Will he be there on the 7th?

I got my helmet and gloves in over the weekend. The helmet feels huge compared to a motorcycle helmet. It makes me look like one of those guys from Spaceballs.

Oh, one question for you Jerry. What should I use for numbers? I'm assigned the temporary one for this event so I'm not going to buy the magnetic ones. I was planning on using blue painters tape... is that ok or do you have a recommendation?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #20

Any update on who is going next week. I may show up to watch, weather dependent.

Tipstall is offline   Reply With Quote