Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #1

Autocross.. Never done one.. would like to

So I've been wanting to try autocross for the longest. I'm on my fourth sports car and now that I have a great handling one I'd like to try. Only thing is I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions or information from the veterans for first timers?

tbplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Just make sure your car is in good mechanical condition, good tires, and good brakes then get plugged into your local PCA and go! No special equipment needed. here is the link:http://www.pca.org/
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
FTD

+1 join your local PCA
Read Secrets of Solo Racing
I have also heard Skip Barber's book Going Faster is excellent. I don't know if it is more appropriate for intermediate and up driving because I haven't read it yet.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #4

My local PCA members are more interested in geriatrics than autocrossing... I'd recommend checking out the SCCA as they are the kings of autocrossing in America:

www.scca.org

See if your local SCCA has an autocrossing session for beginners. They might have one right before the start of the new season.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
My local PCA members are more interested in geriatrics than autocrossing... I'd recommend checking out the SCCA as they are the kings of autocrossing in America:

www.scca.org

See if your local SCCA has an autocrossing session for beginners. They might have one right before the start of the new season.
As with all organizations some local groups are better than others. In SoCal there are 6 PCA chapters. Three are excellent and three are over the hill. Our local SCCA is pretty weak. Search your local area and find the best fit for you.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

Thanks for all the help guys.
tbplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

Another option is to check if there are any sport car clubs or autocross clubs in your area that offer a novice autocrossing school. Many put on a one day session in the spring that is a great way to teach you not only how to drive but just as importantly what your responsibilities are as a course worker. Usually if you are not driving you are working the course. I have seen far too little instruction in this aspect of autocrossing. Good luck. It really is a fun way to enjoy your car.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #8

Sign up and do it.. Check out PCA and SCCA.. you might also look for other local multimarque clubs, or even Mercedes-Benz , Corvette or BMW clubs. Since many guys will own more than one car, they often let others run in their events.

Sure, some regions are "more senior" than others.. On the other hand, sometimes it takes a few years to afford $100K cars. Also, some of those of gray hairs used to run modified 911s , 914s and 356s and well, while you may not want to have dinner with them, they may be fantastic drivers and instructors.

Be sure to keep your young minds open (afterall, we all know old people can't )
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #9

Most autocrosses do not require membership (SCCA now has a weekend membership). Also most autocrosses have loaner helmets for novices. I recommend five things:

1) Don't go in there expecting to win. Leave your ego and preconceptions at home. This is a sport that takes minutes to enjoy but years to master. Don't be surprised if someone in a Yugo beats you!!

2) Ask for help. When you register identify yourself as a novice. Autocrossers are very friendly people. We take great pride in helping our fellow competitors, Almost any experienced autocrosser can help you. Make sure you ask people for help and advice. Especially ask someone to walk the course with you.

3) Get there early. If they recommend arriving at 9, arrive at 8:30. You do not want to miss the opportunity to walk the course at least 3 times.

4) In general don't worry about car prep. Just make sure your interior is cleaned out of any debris. CDs radar detectors, cell phones, stuff under the seats, garage door openers, floor mats all have to go. It might be easier to leave that stuff at home. Then just pump up tire pressures (40 psi is a good place to start) and have fun. Don't try to modify the car in any way.

5) Have fun! Have fun! Have fun! Have fun! Have fun! Have fun!

Regards,
Alan

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote