Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

WTB: 986 passenger side mirror motor

I managed to dislodge the ring that the mirror connects to, and have apparently toasted the little ribbed plastic bits that move the mirror left and right (or, if there were four, to handle all directions, I;ve completely dislodged and lost two of them).

I think the safe bet is a new motor assembly.

MIRROR ADJ. MOTOR
G99662404800 - Genuine Porsche

Price online is: $167.91 for a new one.

Hoping someone is parting theirs out.....

nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

Contact several Porsche dismantlers. There are several dc automotive, oklahoma foreign. There is even one in the bay area, whose name I've forgotten. Just google Porsche dismantlers and see what you get. My experiences so far have been good. Or you can try ebay and see what pops up.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Contact several Porsche dismantlers. There are several dc automotive, oklahoma foreign. There is even one in the bay area, whose name I've forgotten. Just google Porsche dismantlers and see what you get. My experiences so far have been good. Or you can try ebay and see what pops up.
Thanks!

Yeah I have a note in to Parts Heaven here in the Bay Area.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #4

Yep, ebay is where I found a really good condition mirror for $60.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Vista glass

Garage
nathan h

I have a passenger side mirror from a 98 986. The setup was for remote drivers side control, 3 position memory, heated. The motor is fine. The housing(black) has a crack and the glass is broken. PM me if that might help you out. I will send the whole thing. I can disaasemble and check #s and take pics to see if it matches the one you posted.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista glass View Post
nathan h

I have a passenger side mirror from a 98 986. The setup was for remote drivers side control, 3 position memory, heated. The motor is fine. The housing(black) has a crack and the glass is broken. PM me if that might help you out. I will send the whole thing. I can disaasemble and check #s and take pics to see if it matches the one you posted.
That sounds very promising.

We don't have the seat position memory, nor the related mirror position memory, on our 986. But I'd guess the motor assembly is the same.... probably.

This is the ring that came off the motor assembly. It is not supposed to do that when you pull off and put on new glass. In trying to see how to secure it, it was apparently that some of the retaining mechanisms were damaged, aged.....

Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

I just learned that the motor *IS* different if you have seat/mirror memory. Since we don't have that, we have to go with a motor for a car without seat/mirror memory.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Vista glass

Garage
Yes there is a difference, knowing that will help you to get the right thing the first time. I got my replacement from a dismantler in Jacksonville Florida after a short web search. They were sure to be very specific and it worked out well.I got the entire assembly in the correct color for about the price quoted for the motor alone. Replacing the entire mirror assembly was a ten minute job Welcome to the forum. Merry Christmas
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

$50 seems like the going rate for a used motor. Fingers crossed I can replace it without taking all the housing off the car.... time to track down some DIY's.

Thanks for the welcome!

Our merry christmas is that the drunk driver who crashed in front of our house yesterday didn't end up smashing the Boxster.... but our neighbor's un-merry christmas is that their car, parked in the street next to our driveway, is what saved our baby :-(

It was a LOUD crash in the middle of the night, and the wife ran to the window to check the car much more quickly than I did.

Last edited by nathan_h; 12-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.