986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I de-snorked today (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9981-i-de-snorked-today.html)

kelly1005 03-12-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986 Girl
I can't say I know much about this whole de-snorkling thing... but if I have a '98, should I be worried about debris being sucked in, even if I haven't de-snorkled? At some autocrosses there is quite a bit of dirt/dust that gets kicked up.

There has got to be a regular air filter down stream of the snorkel and up stream of anything that would be damaged by dirt and whatnot. Even with the snorkel in there, you're pulling lots of air though the intake so any dirt/dust/chalk/whatever in the air will get pulled through the snorkel.

I can see with it out how you're more susceptible to having high pressure water shot through the side and into the intake. No power car washes for sure and you shouldn't blast water at the intake when you're giving it a bath at home either.

I didn't notice a crazy increase in noise/sound with it gone, but when I pulled into the garage after the test drive without the snorkel, the first thing my wife asked me when I got inside was "why is the car so loud?". She could tell the difference from inside the house. She's got good hearing and I'm 40% deaf in the speech hearing frequencies, so take that for what it's worth.

Bavarian Motorist 03-12-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

I can't say I know much about this whole de-snorkling thing... but if I have a '98, should I be worried about debris being sucked in, even if I haven't de-snorkled? At some autocrosses there is quite a bit of dirt/dust that gets kicked up.

There's dirt and dust everywhere you drive, especially if you live where I live!! (or perhaps worse, where you live.. damn that salt) I wouldn't worry about it at all, but if you still worry, just wait and see if anyone else has a problem :)

I can not figure out how to remove my damn BLINDS!!!!!!!!

BLAH!

blkboxster 03-12-2007 03:19 PM

any sound clips?

blkboxster 03-13-2007 12:03 PM

Just Did it,AWESOME SOUND

BoxsterBob - CA 03-13-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Dust & dirt is pretty much expected, snork or not, and the air filter takes car of that. The concern was regarding the extremely rare chance of a lit cigarette butt finding its way in there. :eek: There is a screen hack if you really want to cover all the bases.

blinkwatt 03-13-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
Dust & dirt is pretty much expected, snork or not, and the air filter takes car of that. The concern was regarding the extremely rare chance of a lit cigarette butt finding its way in there. :eek: There is a screen hack if you really want to cover all the bases.

Exactly! Out of all the threads/post I have read on ANY Porsche forum around the web=world I have seen one case of someone sucking in a cigarette,which then lead to the air filter catching on fire and then a ruined engine. BUT THAT WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT! Porsche updated the driver's side intake grill to ensure that a object such as a cigarette doesn't get sucked in. The only other weird object I have ever heard of someone sucking in their intake was a screw or nail(can't remember which) but that's it,it was sucked in and stopped at the filter.

blkboxster 03-13-2007 04:11 PM

is there any way to put the snorkel back in?

986 Girl 03-13-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkboxster
is there any way to put the snorkel back in?

Already wanting to put it back in? :D

Good to know about the general debris/cigarette butts though. Easiest solution to me: don't smoke! I'm safe :)

Bavarian Motorist 03-13-2007 08:15 PM

It is worth noting that the cigarette butt problem was NOT FIXED on 986 models.

It was done for the 987s, which is why us poor 987 owners have a restrictor plate in our intake area :(

If I am wrong, please correct me, but this is what I read.