Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #1

Can I put any Porsche rims on my 2006 Boxster?

Hey guys, i am a newbie. I have a 06 Boxster and I want to change the original boxster wheels to maybe a 911 wheel? Will it fit? Does anyone know where I can purchase some wheels for cheap, I dont care if they are replicas.

Also where can I find clear side blinkers for cheap for my 06 boxster?
Thanks

Boxster06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Good pricing on replica wheels:

http://www.wheeldynamics.net/

Clear side markers:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=clearsides&Category_Code=987ext

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #3

Regarding the 'fit' question, you can purchase 911 style wheels in Boxster sizes but the actual 911 rear wheel is 11". That would require spacers and probably wouldn't be the best way to go. Stick with a 9.5" rear wheel.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #4

Wheels 101

As with all things Porsche, cheap and wheels are never used in the same sentence. Since last fall I have been chasing the elusive combination of good looking wheels that don't require the birthrite of a child. The problem has to do with a term called offset, which determines how far in or out a wheel is on the car. Too far in and the wheel / tire will rub. Do a search in the General Disscussion section for OFFSET, as there are tons of threads on this topic.

Porsches in general have uncommon offsets compared to the "normal" population of vehicles. Because of this, aftermarket manufactures need to custom build the proper offset wheels for Porsches and our community is rather small, so that equals BIG BUCKS (I found a particularly nice wheel by HRE but needed CPR when I was quoted the price - $1250 PER WHEEL!). Porsche also changes offsets between models and years, so those sexy 911 wheels you have your eye on may not work because of an incorrect offset even if they happen to be the proper width. DRB is correct, an 11" wheel will not work on a Boxster.

During research for my 986, I found these numbers listed for 987 offsets (first number are for front wheels in MM, second number rears):

17" 55 / 40
18" 57 / 43
19" 57 / 46

As an FYI, the offsets for a 986 are different than a 987 so you cannot use 986 wheels on a 987 (just in case you wanted to). There are lots of Boxster wheels for sale on ebay and this would probably be your source for the cheapest set of wheels, but be careful. The wheels may require spacers for them to work, which some forum members successfully use but I choose not to. Read the fine print of any advertisement for the offset - lots of sellers like to say their wheels will work on a Boxster. Don't trust them, do the homework.

Wheel Enchancements has a nice website to view various options available for a 987, which helps give you an idea of what a particular wheel will look like on the car. But it is not the be all - end all. And again, steer clear of the HRE wheels unless you are sitting on a pile of ca$h. Wheel Dynamics sells good quality replica wheels that many forum members use (mine are on order from them).

Hopefully this gets you started. There's a lot to know before you plunk down your hard earned $$$. You don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Terry
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #5

19" Cayman wheels should fit on a 987 Boxster without any spacers or adjustments right?
pbadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadss
19" Cayman wheels should fit on a 987 Boxster without any spacers or adjustments right?
The Cayman wheel is an 18" wheel. And if fits on the 987.

Here is an excellent example of one of our Forum Member's new cars with the Cayman Wheel:

Houston C4S's New Box!

Last edited by bmussatti; 03-12-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
bmussatti

Boxster06, here is a great link for you regarding Porsche wheels that fit the 987:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/tequipment/boxster-987/wheels/