Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #1

Filter install question.

I'm trying to pull the old paper filter out of the airbox tonight so I can install the BMC, but the damn thing won't come out. I pushed on the retaining clips and pulled, but nothing happened. Is it a tight fit or something? Is there something securing the filter in that I'm not seeing?? I don't have instructions so I'm trying to take it slow before I break something. Please help me i'm frustrated. Also, are engine grill removal instructions different on 03 models compared to pre-03 models? The grills seem different and I'm still looking to desnork.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #2

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2003/6-2003.htm
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:01 PM   #3

I recently De-Snorked and originally it was a big headache, I thought I was doing something wrong.

I finally put on a a pair of leather gloves and sprayed some WD-40 and pulled like hell. and it finally popped out, it is held in with nothing more then a little compression on the outer edge.

Wiggle and pull...Up and down and all around...
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:49 PM   #4

Just wanted to let you guys know I got the air-filter in. The cartridge that holds the filter was just a "tad" tight but it finally came out with the filter. I'm glad I asked the question, or otherwise I wouldn't have known to shop-vac out the bottom of the filter housing to pick up any loose dirt that fell off the filter. I bet alot of newbies like me would overlook that. The car seems to run fine. I can't tell a difference in sound, but there is supposed to be alittle more power(like around 5hp) with is probabbly only north of 6,000 rpm. Anyway, it's a nice cheap first upgrade up the hp ladder. Next is the fabspeed exhaust.

I have one more qustion right now, I noticed that the tube that connect the air-box to the intake-manifold has chambered sections along it. According to EVO these sections are there to reduce noise and they also cut ho slightly. Well, a new tube/filter kit from evo is more than 200 bones I believe and all you get is a K&N flat filter and a new chamberless tube. I don't wan't to pay 200+ dollars for a plastic tube. Is there any other options? Another company or make my own tube??

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote