Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

What does "Corporate fleet lease" mean in a carfax?

I see it often while searching for my Boaxster...

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
boggtown

It means... dont buy. Right now, ive got a mercedes c280 loaner car from the dealership since I took the cayenne to get its free detailing (they wanted $250), and I drive that thing like its a red headed step child. Not dangerously, or destructively, just not like I will own it for a year... or month. There are plenty of exceptions though. My mom bought a company car caddy deville (04) in 2004 and got it for like 5-7 thousand under blue book due to all the highway miles. It never needed anything but an oil change every 3 thousand miles. But one things for sure, never buy a rental car, ever, unless you want a tortured soul for a car.

Last edited by boggtown; 02-28-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! That will help me narrow the field.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Lots of people lease expensive cars through their business so they can write off the expense and depreciation. It often doesn't mean multiple drivers just creative financing.

When I buy used I look at the car, the maint. records, the region, and the former driver. Who was it? A fifty year old dentist will usually be a lot gentler on a car than a 22 yr old wild eyed college student. A car that lived at the beach or in snow country will likely have a lot more hidden rust than one in Phoenix.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #5

I bought a leased box..no problems at all, but then I have all the maintenance history....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #6

I agree with bogg....i took my car for service and the dealer gave me a choice of car to rent next door for free. I pick Audi S3 2.0 Turbolax...and boy, let me tell you, that way i've driven that car for a week, made me realize that I would never buy a rental or loaner car, ever I manage to put 1,200 miles on that baby

Now for a private owner lease return, it all depends...if mileage is right, it doesn't look abuse, still look new and clean and has complete service records...I would buy it. and that my friend is the one that I've looked at when I picked up my C230 few months ago
corporate lease return...NOPE!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #7

Just because it is a former lease vehicle doesn't mean it was driven hard... In many cases the drivers of leased vehicles that are part of a company's fleet are required to adhere to strict maintenance standards. Also, the guy that drives a leased Benz for 40,000 miles is not always going to drive it like a maniac.

If you are considering a former leased vehicle chances are you should be able to find good maintenance records. Along with this do your usual checks and inspections (PPI or other if you desire) and don't think twice about buying.

I bought a used Dodge Dakota with 32,000 miles that was a former lease vehicle and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and it now has 85,000 miles on it. (knock on wood) My Boxster which has been privately owned has had more problems and I bought it with 12k and it now has 18k.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
bmussatti

GE Fleet Leasing is a very large corporate fleet leasing company. My daily driver (Ford Explorer XLT) is a "corporate leased car". Also know as a "company car".
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #9

Hi,

There's a difference between a Rental Car and a Lease Car. A rental usually has no longterm driver, many different drivers with no investment in the car.

A lease car, on the other hand typically has one driver, and that driver will be penalized at the end of the lease period for anything beyond normal wear and tear. As such, many Lease drivers take better care of the car than many drivers who own their cars because they don't want to get socked with a multi-thousand dollar bill at the end of the lease period.

Do a PPI and if it comes back clean, you're likely OK. I would not ever buy a Rental car though, these are the ones which are typically abused by irresponsible people...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-03-2007 at 06:15 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #10

Rental cars are normally clearly identified in services such as Car Fax etd.

Corp lease is another deal.

I would have no issue buying an ex Corp lease car if it checked out otherwise.

I am with Jim on the rental though.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
1JB

You just need to have the car gone over by an expert just like any other used car you would buy. I had a corporate lease car and was the only driver. I drove it as I would drive my personal car because believe me the last thing you want to have happen in a corporate car is an accident. That being said maintenance on it was the minimum required and was set out under contract. Oil & Flter every 7500 miles, etc. Other corporate lease cars have multiple drivers if they're in the fleet.

I'd be more worried about a Porsche that was tracked as a rule. Have it checked out if you're interested in it.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #12

Corporate fleet lease could also mean the car was a demo/loaner, at least according to what the Audi dealer told me when I looked at the carfax listings for some '06 loaners he had for sale.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote