986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   550 Spyder vs Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/966-550-spyder-vs-boxster.html)

GDietrich 04-26-2004 07:53 AM

550 Spyder vs Boxster

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1998 Boxster and I love it!!! I have also had the privlage of owning a Vintage Spyders 550 Spyder replica. Due to a very unfortunate accident, the 550 was destroyed and then financial problems set so I had to sell her - a hard day!!! Some of you may remember My550Spyder.com - no longer up.

Many of my friends ask me if the 550 was a better car and if given the opportunity would I trade it for a new 550. Although the Boxster is the sibling of the 550, it's very hard to compare. The 550 was a pure sports car - no A/C, heat, radio, power seats, etc... It was you, a seat, a Banjo style wheel, a frame, 1914 cc engine and the open road... The Boxster on the other hand is very exciting to drive, technologically advanced in every way, loaded with all the creature comforts but the hood line reminds me of the 550...

Anybody who has owned a real or replica 550 and now owns a Boxster has probably been asked the same question... For me... I would have to take the 550 Spyder. No disrespect to the Boxster at all. Driving a 550 Spyder was as close to Euphoria as it got...

Any other opinons / stories would be great

Be Good!

Greg

BrianF1960 04-26-2004 07:17 PM

Hi Greg -

I had a Beck 550 Spyder for six months back in 2000. Just like yours, it had the tube frame, spartan interior with speedster type buckets, and a Jake Raby type IV in the tail - a 2270cc engine that made 153BHP at the rear wheels on the dyno and 150lb/ft of torque, and pushed the Spyder like a rocket! The car was very basic and fun to drive. The skinny tires really made it a handful at times, but the balanced chassis and four wheel discs did their best to keep the car on the road. I sold it after six months due to two factors - 1) it was a car suited to warmer weather and a longer driving season than we have in New England, and 2) I was just too tall for long comfortable drives - at 6'5" I could only get so comfortable by adjusting the seat and pedals as the cabin is only so big. The car cost me $22K new and I sold it for the same with just over 3000 miles after six months of driving fun. I bought a 98 Boxster to replace it and really enjoyed the Boxster more. I didn't miss the Spyder. It was a phase I went through. I bought a tube frame Speedster replica off eBay in March 2001 that was a bit more workable than the Spyder with a top and side curtains, but it still was a bit small for a guy my size. In 2003 I sold the Boxster and the Speedster and realized my dream of owning a 911 by purchasing a 2003 C2 Cab. The dream ended kind of quick as I traded it for a 2004 Audi A4 and a 2003 Boxster S in early fall 2003. What car do I miss the most? I miss the 98 Boxster. As much as the 2003 S is a better car in a lot of ways, it doesn't hold the place in my heart that the first Boxster did. I drove 38K miles - most with the top down and really loved the experience. So much so that the recent Boxster S purchase was a homecoming of sorts.

Good luck with your Boxster - I think it will find a place in your heart as you drive it more and get to know it better.

Brian