Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

DE Insurance

I recently purchased an '07 Boxster and am interested in doing a DE event. My insurance company (AIG) rep tells me the car will not be covered on the track, even though the DE is not a race.

What do participants in DE events do? Does your standard auto policy cover your car? Do you purchase special insurance? Does the track (in this case Pocono) provide insurance? Do you run without insurance?

Thanks.

Ken

Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #2

Try: Laurel insurance (maybe lauralde.com?)

There are others, but their names escape me at the moment.

NJ is a tough state in general for auto insurance. I don't believe you can sell just specialty insurance in NJ. If you provide specialized auto coverage you must also offer general coverage and since NJ is such a rip off state (yes, I lived there once) it can be tough. Several of my NJ friends in the tristate area have had to go to "connecticut" to get coverage. You might also try looking for "race" coverage.

Be forwarned that some of these alternatives can be $$$ as well. It would not be uncommon to have, say, a $5-10K deductible when filing a claim to begin with. If you can afford to "self" insure you might try that.

All this bad news being said, I've done DE and AX for 17 years and haven't needed to replace a single body panel/wheel etc.

You might try different "regular" insurers. I know folks who have had good coverage with Liberty Mutual. I used a "local" agent and didn't ask who was really underwriting it. I just asked for a list of exclusions. Be sure to get you exclusions in writing and NOT rely soley on the word of the agent.

Don't be a afraid of DE. Don't let it bumm you out. Be smart though. you know whats best for you/your financial situation.

In direct response:

1) Some Ins. companies DO allow for DE participation.
2) Tracks DO NOT provide coverage to participants to pretect against damaged vehicles
3) The CLUBS carry insurance only to protect themselves while renting a facility (like pocono)
4) Some simply "self insure" and figure if they wad up the car, its out of their pocket.
4b) Some drive really old, somewhat cheap cars that, if damaged, don't hurt them financially
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 02-15-2007 at 05:22 PM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
one quick Q, do DE events cost anything if going trough PCA?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
The local region will set the entrance fee. It all comes down to how many people they can fit on the track (ie maximum number of participants) and how much they have to pay to rent the track. For an example (about 4 years ago) Watkins Glen charged $15,000 for a two day rental.

On average in the Mid-Atlantic, entrance fees are about $200-300 per event, per person. Often instructors get a financial incentive since they get to do the "work"
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #5

Quote:
The DE events for NNJR-PCA (Northern NJ) cost about $300.

Ken
Old 02-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Try: Laurel insurance (maybe lauralde.com?)

In direct response:

1) Some Ins. companies DO allow for DE participation.
2) Tracks DO NOT provide coverage to participants to pretect against damaged vehicles
3) The CLUBS carry insurance only to protect themselves while renting a facility (like pocono)
4) Some simply "self insure" and figure if they wad up the car, its out of their pocket.
4b) Some drive really old, somewhat cheap cars that, if damaged, don't hurt them financially
Very comprehensive answer. Thanks.

Ken
Old 02-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
DJ, you can see all of this at www.pca-chicago.org. Dates, locations and costs.