Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #1

Test drove a 996...

I finally got to test drive a 2000 Carrera C2 that I have been eyeing up over the weekend. The car had 49k miles on it but really felt more like 20k miles. I took it on a little back-road near the lot and couldn't believe the power and throttle response on it. My Boxster feels fast once it gets moving but from a stand still this thing feels like the front end is raising up and the tail end is going to kick out. I buried first and second and was doing about 80 in no time. It was at that time when the lot attendant riding with me said "Please don't kill me."

I actually got pulled over on the test drive but luckily not for speeding... the cop said we were leaving a parking lot that just had an alarm go off but I think he was just making sure the car wasn't stolen, etc. Kinda tells me how high profile these cars must be. Braking and shifting feels about the same as in the Boxster. The steering feels similar but a little heavier. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any good twisties to really test it's capabilities.

I am contemplating getting the car because it seems like a good deal ($15k over my trade-in of a same year Boxster with comparable mileage). I may need to take my Boxster out with the top down again before making any final descision though. Plus I need a couple months to get my financing in order so I hope it doesn't sell anytime soon. Here is the car to anyone who didn't see my last post... http://www.midnightracing.com/mra/W620448porsche911c2.htm

If only the Boxster had this kind of power I wouldn't have this problem. But I guess the 2007 Boxster S's will have similar power.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I remember you posting pictures of this car awhile back. Im glad you've given it a good review because i will be in the market for one in acouple years. Whats the asking price of that 996?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I remember you posting pictures of this car awhile back. Im glad you've given it a good review because i will be in the market for one in acouple years. Whats the asking price of that 996?
$35,000 which is about the best i've seen for a decent mileage 911. I can't imagine it taking too much more of a depreciation hit in the next few years either. I would definately get a PPI before buying it though. I also loved the Litronics... if I decide to keep the Boxster I may need to get a set.
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

I've simply never been impressed with the power in any of the non-gt2/gt3/Turbo 996's (Nothing like getting into a 500+ HP Corvette or similar). And pendulus cornering is well pendulus.

Not that this is your motivation but, I would never consider a standard 996 as "trading up". Maybe its fullfiling some sort of childhood fascination with the 911 legend but from a DRIVER'S point of view, its "trading down" for a bit more power. 0-60 times are marginally better between a 986S and a C2. And the standard 996s are not holding value particularly well. The higher end 911's are doing much better but even the 996 Turbo with a true GT1 dry sump engine can be found for under $60K all over the internet. Kind of amazing that a genuine exotic that can be parked next to a Ferrari can be had for less than the price of new fully decked ouut CaymanS or BoxsterS. Porsches are simply not holding value like they used to.

This car looks nice but you will miss the wind in your hair on the open highway. And you won't be any better off in the snow. Get a C4 if your going to a coupe.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-12-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #5

You forgot the most important part.

THE EXHAUST NOTE!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #6

I understand power is all relative. My old modded Altima felt much faster than in stock form. My Boxster felt very fast compared to that. And the 911 feels fast now. I guess it's all in what type of power you have experienced. I did come across a 2002 996 turbo in the $50k's although it was a tiptronic... If this car passes me by maybe i'll hold off until I can afford a car like that. And I will admit that the childhood 911 fascination does come into play. Snow isn't a factor because I have an A4 Quattro.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #7

no matter how much power you get into you'll get "used to it". Kind of dangerous condition. That's what I loved about my puny 1.8 Miata. It was a tuna can and when you were doing 70 you felt your speed, you respected it.
The 911 has more than enough power for high performance driving as does any Boxster. I think you have to evaluate what factors other than power will make you happy. The I prefer the styling of the (2002-2004) 911 to the Boxsters and that's a big motivation for many. Scratch that itch if you feel it because well maintained Boxsters will always be available for even better prices.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #8

Looks like everyone needs to own a Z06 or a 911 Turbo to get the power bug out of their system (get bored by it) and start appreciating the finer things in cars. I haven't owned either but have driven a lot of high powered (300+) cars. There's so much more about a car than HP and kick-in-the butt acceleration -- same as a value of a house not being solely defined by the # of bedrooms or its sq footage.

Porschekid, nothing wrong with just getting the darn 911 and getting it out of your system. It's only a car, after all, and there will be others.

Z.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #9

Sometimes too it's access to places to use all the other factors. Here in LA, a Miata is easy to enjoy on a twisty Malibu road. But back home in boring-road Texas, sports cars are rather useless unless they have the power to do a good peel-out. Back there I'd say get a Corvette or a 4x4 and go muddin'

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Sometimes too it's access to places to use all the other factors. Here in LA, a Miata is easy to enjoy on a twisty Malibu road. But back home in boring-road Texas, sports cars are rather useless unless they have the power to do a good peel-out. Back there I'd say get a Corvette or a 4x4 and go muddin'

-David
Very good point. Roads and geography matter a lot. It feels like my Box has been custom built for the roads it's being driven on 90% of time.

Z.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #11

I don't think you'll be happy with a 2000 C2 because it's only marginally faster than a 986S. I've been to the track many times and I don't think there was one time that a 996 ever pulled away from me on the straights. Our club also have a Breakfast drives on the Sea to Sky Highway here on the westcoast and the same story here - on long stretch hills, the 996 still won't pull away.

If you want power, wait a few more years for the 996 TT to come down. After that, there are very few cars in the world that could top it. Or you can chip the 996TT and get extra 50 ponies.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #12

God damn it. You didn't tell me about the exhaust note yet.

By the way, I would save the money and use FI on your car to get the power. It wouldn't cost nearly 15k and you'd have the convertibleness. So unless the 911-ness is what's important and convertibleness and fast-ness are not necessarily relevant, I would go this route.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 02-12-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
God damn it. You didn't tell me about the exhaust note yet.

By the way, I would save the money and use FI on your car to get the power. It wouldn't cost nearly 15k and you'd have the convertibleness. So unless the 911-ness is what's important and convertibleness and fast-ness are not necessarily relevant, I would go this route.
Exhaust note was nice... a little bit deeper than the 986 but didn't sound as loud as the Boxster with the top down. I think the Boxster is more of an intake growl while the 996 is more deep exhaust note. I can't really say from the drivers perspective that the 996 sounded any better than the Boxster though. I assume from spectators that the 996 may sound a little better.
I was thinking about forced induction but am worried about reliability. Plus most supercharged Boxsters are 2.5's and not 2.7's so I don't know if there are any problems there. I also would love a 996 engine swap but it would probably cost more than getting a 996 and wouldn't have a very good return on investment. I'm still kinda up in the air though.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #14

Check this out.

I think some guy on here did this and it cost him...13000 for everything, including labor?

I might be wrong.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #15

49K seems like a high milage, even for 7 years old car...which means high risk of breaking down, and possibly RMS issue?

I think there's better option out there if you wait a little more.

All that aside, if it makes you happy, I'll say go with it!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #16

Perhaps part of the 'front end is raising up and the tail end is going to kick out' feel was because the carrera is has the engine in the rear vs the boxster's mid engine layout.

I myself have been looking for a car that replaces the boxster (besides a newer boxster) and have not been able to find any. Seems the boxster is the most powerful mid engine rear wheel drive convertible roadster this side of $80k-$100k?

Since you said "If only the Boxster had this kind of power I wouldn't have this problem. But I guess the 2007 Boxster S's will have similar power.", I would also suggest boosting it and keeping the top down.

Last edited by vijen6; 02-13-2007 at 10:22 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #17

do the engine swap and dont look back. Dont look at it as an investment, but I am sure I would have no trouble selling mine with the swap. I doubt I would get back the entire 16k I put into it however. But one drive and the induced permagrin would sell it no problem. You definitely get that "kick in the ass" acceleration with the 3.4 in the box. It is addictive, but the best part is that you end up with a Box that beats a 911. Best of both worlds. Quick and mid engined.

having said that tho I also have the "Iwanna911someday" issue....
but I have my heart set on a 993tt. Better looks and rocket thrust. And air cooled. A real 911.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #18

PECivil, do you have a thread anywhere where you describe your experience upgrading to a 3.4? e.g. who did it? And do you have to practically steal an engine to keep the cost down (i.e. high labor costs?)?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
49K seems like a high milage, even for 7 years old car...which means high risk of breaking down, and possibly RMS issue?

I think there's better option out there if you wait a little more.

All that aside, if it makes you happy, I'll say go with it!

High milage?! Ha! Even my insurance company considers that low milage.....
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #20

PorscheKid, I only saw ONE key in those photos. I'd write $300 off the final negotiated price for the amount you'll spend getting a spare one made with a couple of bucks to offset the pain in the arse it will be.

Where do all these Pcar keys go anyway? eBay?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote