986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Took out a late 90's Trans Am last night. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/948-took-out-late-90s-trans-am-last-night.html)

Adam 04-18-2004 09:37 AM

Took out a late 90's Trans Am last night.

To make a short story even shorter, I was out last night taking my buddy for a drive when we come across this dude with a HUGE mullet and a TA convertible. I felt like I may have a chance so I let him know that I was game. He had a car length head start on me from a 40mph roll. By the time I hit 60mph we were even. When 80mph came around I had about a car length on him....then we shut it down. Anyway, just wanted to share my story. Who says boxsters are slow!!?? American muscle loses in a straight line and doesn't hold a candle to the boxster in the corners. I'm glad I went with this car! btw, mines bone stock; I can't wait to put on a few subtle mods.

Ad Sach 04-18-2004 10:16 AM

I'm surprised.

I once let a late 90's Camaro Z28 get 2 car lengths on me at about 40 so I could reel him in, and I wasn't able to catch him until he backed off around 130. embarassing! Seemed to be faster than a C-5.

I assumed the TransAm was about the same speed - maybe he messed up his stock performance with aftermarket parts.

Adam 04-18-2004 11:46 AM

I'm assuming you have an S. If thats the case then I'm suprised you lost. I bet the camaro was either nicely modded or tuned up. I'm not sure if this TA was a LT1 or LS1 engine. I know the LS1 is the vette engine and it is the stronger of the pair. It was the ragtop TA so that made an already fairly heavy car even heavier and slower. I was giving it everything it had in it too. I didn't shift until 7,200rpm when I did the 2-3 shift.

Ad Sach 04-18-2004 07:13 PM

I didn't say I lost - I wasn't slower or faster. I was expecting to blow his doors off, but I didn't.

Around 130/135 he backed off, which seems like a really good move because I've ridden inside one of those at 95 and I'm not sure I'd have the guts to go 130 in a Camaro.

And yeah, the convertible makes all the difference. I don't think there is a stock american ragtop that will outpull the Boxster S once we are rolling.

Ad Sach
02 S w/32K

QporscheQ 04-18-2004 07:55 PM

I would imagine 130/135 is about tops for a TA/Z28. I have a '95 Firebird and I would agree things get a little dicey as you approach 100 and I wouldnt even think about going near 130 in mine. I use my Firebird as my daily driver and it drives like a truck compared to my Boxster.

Adam 04-18-2004 07:59 PM

I agree pretty much. Anything under a ragtop vette the the box S can hold up to when rolling.

Ad Sach 04-19-2004 02:31 PM

C-5 Ragtop Vettes aren't always too tough. I like to run up and 'hang' a car length to the right side and rear and make them believe I'm just toying with them. Some of them probably don't know I'm flat out just to hang there.

Trying to hang with a Z06 is impossible for a stock S - but the exhaust sound as they fade into the distance is quite nice to hear.