986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   will i even notice 5mm spacers? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9388-will-i-even-notice-5mm-spacers.html)

porschegeorg 02-07-2007 01:50 PM

will i even notice 5mm spacers?

I'm waiting on my GT3 bumper and skirts (still)...and I've been toying with
then idea of adding 5mm spacers. For those who have seen these installed,
will I even notice the change?

bmussatti 02-07-2007 01:56 PM

I have 'em. The visual difference is very-very slight.

porschegeorg 02-07-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
I have 'em. The visual difference is very-very slight.

Did you add them on yourself?? I mean are you disappointed in them??

porsche986spyder 02-07-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschegeorg
I'm waiting on my GT3 bumper and skirts (still)...and I've been toying with
then idea of adding 5mm spacers. For those who have seen these installed,
will I even notice the change?

I notices some 15mm spacers on e-bay not to long ago. They looked like good quality to. Sold in pairs for around $100.00. If you get those, you should definately notice a difference.

bmussatti 02-07-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschegeorg
Did you add them on yourself?? I mean are you disappointed in them??

I ordered my car this way last year. I am NOT disappointed. Makes my car a little different.

NickCats 02-07-2007 06:19 PM

bmus,

Did you get the spacers only for aesthetic purposes ?

( BTW - if you haven't seen his ride in person, it is awesome ! )

Just wondering...

Thanks,

Nick

1JB 02-08-2007 05:33 AM

I saw a Boxster with them on at the dealer when asked to see if they had one. I didn't notice a thing but the car was not sitting next to another Boxster. 5mm is less than 1/8th of an inch. Take a look at that on a ruler and judge for yourself. I've also read some complaints that they push the wheels our just far enough to kick more crud up onto the car but I find that hard to believe considering the tiny amount they extend the wheel.

edevlin 02-08-2007 05:43 AM

I know 5mm is not much, but when I put them on my car it did seem like it had a little wider stance. Maybe I can notice it more because my car is sitting lower with Bilstein coilovers.

Ed

bmussatti 02-08-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JB
I saw a Boxster with them on at the dealer when asked to see if they had one. I didn't notice a thing but the car was not sitting next to another Boxster. 5mm is less than 1/8th of an inch. Take a look at that on a ruler and judge for yourself. I've also read some complaints that they push the wheels our just far enough to kick more crud up onto the car but I find that hard to believe considering the tiny amount they extend the wheel.

I would agree with the "kicking up more dirt and crud" comment. I don't have a comparision, but still think this happens.

bmussatti 02-08-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats
bmus,

Did you get the spacers only for aesthetic purposes ?

( BTW - if you haven't seen his ride in person, it is awesome ! )

Just wondering...

Thanks,

Nick

Hey Nick, yes, mainly for aesthetics. I also thought that I would get a little (very-very little) more "grip" in the corners with the slightly wider stance.

Funny thing is, at PCA Concours Events, other Boxster owners who know our cars so well, comment on the fact that I have the spacers. So they notice. The car looks a little wider from the rear to a trained eye.

Here is one GREAT benefit that I was not planning on. Since the wheel is pulled out about 1/8 of an inch from the calipers, I can get my hand and cloth in there and can clean my wheels and calipers a little easier. :)

This option (code XRP) was $490...and I did not mind spending this amount to make my car a little more different that the rest.

SD987 02-08-2007 09:17 AM

My understanding is that the primary reason they have the 5mm spacers on the 987 options list is to provide caliper clearance should a buyer choose to add PCCBs.

z12358 02-08-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JB

According to my calcs it's more like 5mm/25.4mm =~ 1/5th of an inch.
Didn't know spacers were on the option list. Now that bmuss has them and after the discussion about lowering (not planning it) and filling out the wheel well better, I'm thinking of putting some on myself this spring.

Z.

bmussatti 02-08-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
According to my calcs it's more like 5mm/25.4mm =~ 1/5th of an inch.
Didn't know spacers were on the option list. Now that bmuss has them and after the discussion about lowering (not planning it) and filling out the wheel well better, I'm thinking of putting some on myself this spring.

Z.

Z, I think I have seen the Porsche Tequipment 5mm spacers for about $300-350. Don't remember where. Sorry. This includes the longer wheel bolts. Paragon Products (www.********************************************************************.com) has some cool spacers too. And I think Wheel Enhancements has them too.

porsche986spyder 02-08-2007 10:07 AM

15mm would be more noticeable...

I found these on e-bay. 15mm. They look solid. Sold in sets of 2.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...l_Space_04.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280065944283&ssPageNam e=MERC_VIC_RUPX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=2800 71733848&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item &usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promo t_widgethttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...l_Space_03.jpg

z12358 02-08-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Here is one GREAT benefit that I was not planning on. Since the wheel is pulled out about 1/8 of an inch from the calipers, I can get my hand and cloth in there and can clean my wheels and calipers a little easier. :)

Good point. It would definitely help, especially on my stock 18"s.
Thx for the suggested links.

Z.

John Y 02-08-2007 10:24 AM

I saw the Porsche for $292.50 in a dealer ad in the curent Excellence Magazine - don't remember which dealer. I may get these to throw on in Spring, too.

1JB 02-08-2007 10:33 AM

"According to my calcs it's more like 5mm/25.4mm =~ 1/5th of an inch.
Didn't know spacers were on the option list. Now that bmuss has them and after the discussion about lowering (not planning it) and filling out the wheel well better, I'm thinking of putting some on myself this spring."

Z.

You got me - actually 0.19685 of an inch. Somewhere between 1/8th and 1/4 of an inch. My ruler doesn't have 1/5 of an inch on it.

BobMarley1 02-08-2007 10:45 AM

do you need

longer lug bolts? With the 15mm? Also, I heard they cause uneccessary stress.

Franco 02-08-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JB

HI, 5mm is closer to 3/16 (5 divided by 25.4 =.1969) and 3/16 is .187" :cheers:

bmussatti 02-08-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarley1
longer lug bolts? With the 15mm? Also, I heard they cause uneccessary stress.

Hey ya man, Mr. Marley, man! Be happy man! If you space out the wheels you need longer bolts too. I think 5mm adds negligible stress, if any. That's why I went with the Porsche approved. Now...15mm...you might be right. :)