Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #1

Need help - Paint costs

Hey boxster buddies,
I just got hit by someone and I was surprise there was no body damage but I have slight paint scrapes on two panels where the side marker is. (1/4 panel and part of the front bumper) How much do you think it costs to paint or touch up the scrape marks.???

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #2

Can you see any layers under the body color (ie: is it scraped through)? If it is just a surface scrape, you'll be amazed at what a finish restorer product can do... I've had great luck with the "3M Finish Restorer" recommended by some folks here. Had a nasty scrape that ran the full length of the right front corner fender and onto the passenger door - I thought it was a repaint for sure, but after many applications of the restorer and some manual effort in buffing, you can't tell it happened.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #3

Even with a scratch that appeared to be down to the metal, I've had the "3M Imperial Hand glaze" + the "P21S Multi-Finish Restorer" bring that deep scratch back to a 'hard-to-see' depression in the paint.

follow this link and scroll down for cleaners

http://carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=5
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #4

Thanks Guys!
The bumper looks possible in just buffing it out but the 1/4 panel above the side marker looks like the scrape went through because I see grey coming out of my RED paint. I went ahead and took a look at what the dealer body shop would do and they estimated it at $860. Boy that sounds pretty steep. Anybody with any experience on how much they've spent?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 AM   #5

re "Anybody with any experience on how much they've spent?"

About $50 on the repair kit.

You already think your paint job is ruined, and they will charge you for feathering for a coupe of feet in every direction, so why not try to polish it out?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #6

Hopefully that will work ok. I had a similar experience last yes, except a small dent was included in a bump (I kept my cool after the $%&#@ bumped into me!) The dent was around 1/2 inch deep, and about the size of the end of a soda can. After the dent repair, repainting the fender, re-applying the clear paint protection (autosupershield) -- the other driver's insurance company dropped $6500!!!

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote