Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #1

Remote Entry System

I'm a new member... recently bought a 2002 Boxster without a keyless entry system. Nor does it have the option to add a keyless entry system. So, my question is, does anybody have a suggestion as to how I add a keyless, remote entry system to this car in Orange County, CA?

jpmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
That's strange, I thought that was standard equipment?

Did not see it as an option either.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5329&stc=1
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #3

you can just call around and get an after-market alarm and auto lock system

it should not cost more than $200-300. the only downside is the alarm remote (separate iunit like a matchbox) will not be integrated with your key like the Porsche all-in-one key/alarm unit. i am sure it will be like $1000 for a new alarm system at the dealer with a new set of motions sensors and new key head required and programmed etc. i recall the alarm system is an option with a comprehensive sports package or something but i may be wrong.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the pdf, Travis.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

I thought keyless entry/security was standard? Maybe our OP here just didn't get the remote keys?

I was also under the impression that if you didn't have at least ONE of the remote keys, you'd have to get a whole new control unit AND a remote key, pay to have the controller installed and then programmed for the key.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input. I'll call around and find out what it will cost to install an after market keyless entry system. I actually went to the local dealer (Newport Beach Porsche) and was told my car did not have the necessary components to add the manufacturers keyless entry/alarm system. I must have bought the very basic model!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #7

jpmiller,
I have a boxster that didn't come with keyless entry either. Just think of it this way - you got the no frills "racing package" - we're saving weight with no keyless entry, and no front door speakers

I ended up hooking up an aftermarket keyless entry system myself - it was easy, but i failed to disconnect the battery before removing the front drivers seat which set off my airbag light (which required a PST2 tool to turn it off).

Here is a link to a thread I started a while back
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2880

- it may be possible to retrofit your boxter for use with a factory style keyless entry keyfob (all in one), but it'd be expensive.

Good Luck,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 PM   #8

Thanks!

I appreciate your input. I'll let you know how it goes.