Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #1

Radio Reset Code

HELP - Please!

I had an erroneous CEL error which my mechanic finally reset by disconnecting the battery. The good news is I can finally smog my '01 Boxster S. The bad news is I've lost my stereo and need to get the reset codes (which my mechanic informed me might ONLY be found on the back of the radio - meaning I'd have to pull it out). Hooboy! Anyway I came to find that you can get the reset code by pressing the "tp" button on the stereo for about 10s. "Becker1" will appear on the stereo display. Turn the tune button to the right and various codes appear. The first code is some sort of stereo identifier (4 digits), follwed by the reset code (8 digits), the cdplayer code (2 alpha and 4 numeric digits), and some other stuff. The radio asks for a 12 digit code to reset. Anyone know which combination might work? OR do I really have to pull the stereo?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!! :ah:

kurtdresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
The code you got from your radio is the serial number, you will need the card with the radio unlock code on it.

But if like me you were not provided that when you bought the car.....

There is a website I have used in the past, that with the radio serial number it will give you a list of three codes to try. One will work (I think you have 5 tries at it, so do not guess)

http://www.unlock-code.co.uk/radio_code_check.php?m=Becker

Also if you are in good with a dealership, they should be able to look it up for you also.

One other option, if you want the card from becker with the code on it.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Code_request/Code%20Request%20Form.htm

Good luck

Last edited by Travis; 01-25-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #3

The code is there to deter people from stealing your radio. Putting it on the back of the radio wouldn't make much sense.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #4

I would call the stealership first. (have the serial # handy - one of the previous threads here will tell you how to get the radio to display the serial #) I didnt know the service guy i called but he looked up the radio code free of charge. Use of your stereo could be a phone call away!
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #5

My radio code is just 4 numbers not 12. MY2000.
arp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #6

Hi,

Dealer can pull the Radio Code with the PST2. Some charge as much as $60. Mine pulled mine for free when I had them do some other work.

On the other hand, you can pull the radio, get the serial # from the back and go here: http://www.radio-code.co.uk/instant_online_becker_radio_code_check.php Where for $25 you can retrieve the code. Personally, paying the Dealer and avoiding all the hassle is worth it, they just use the OBDII port. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #7

There is a Becker radio decoder that has been floating around the net for a few years. I have it. It is for 4 and 5 digit code Becker radios. But this program has some bugs in it.

The standard radio is 4 digits. The Becker Traffic Pro uses 5 digits.

Sometimes there is a sticker on the radio that has the code on the radio. I believe these are replacement radios.

Sometimes the DME does have the code in it. But my DME did not, so I had the code entered in the DME. If the code is in the DME but the radio had been replaced, then the code will not work unless the code was changed to match the replacement radio.

In the old days a lot of the 220 radios were replaced under warranty due to the "peeling buttons" issue.

Of course, the usual joke is, who would want to steal a Becker radio.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote