Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #1

How to clean stains on the top?

I found some stains in the top of my 2005 Boxster.
Whats the best way to clean them?

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #2

Monica Lewinsky could point you in the right direction>>>
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Monica Lewinsky could point you in the right direction>>>

You forgot to ask him if the stains were on the inside or outside of the top , but good reply...that will never get old.

RaggTop http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #4

any fabric cleaner (ie Scotch) will do.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #5

Raggtopp products seem to be the most often mentioned here. I can't wait for the weather here to clear up and get nice... I need to clean the ever loving piss out of my Boxster, including the top. I'll be using Raggtopp products to accomplish that task.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #6

Should you still use Raggtop if you don't get to see much rain? Is Raggtop easy to apply or does it require some effort in the sense that you wouldn't want to overspray or get it on your paint?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Do Not scotch guard.
I'm curious why not?
I used Scotch fabric cleaner/protector last 6 years on my previous 986, and the top was as good as new until I sold it last year.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #8

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

I just went out to replace the engine air filter, since I have NO idea when it was last changed....

... and my plastic window cracked.

Just a couple inches near the bottom passenger side... put some clear tape on it... but dang, it looks like crap like that. I guess I'm going to have to see about having the plastic window replaced, or get a new top soon. Darnit. It's probably due to the PO not taking very good care of it, so the plastic has become brittle. CRAP.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #9

the manufacturer of the canvas material endorses Raggtopp use, I'm sure there are other brands that work well at cleaning canvas as well but there's just not much feedback when it comes to Porsche.
I use a Renovo dry foam and a towel for quick spot cleanings like bird bombs and berries falling from trees. Raggtopp cleanser has to be rinsed out fully after each use and should be worked in with a super soft brush like the OXO feathertip. Then you have to reapply the Raggtopp protectant which has UV protection and keeps dust from getting into the threads. Dust is the big culprit, you want to rinse your top a few times a month.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

I just went out to replace the engine air filter, since I have NO idea when it was last changed....

... and my plastic window cracked.

Just a couple inches near the bottom passenger side... put some clear tape on it... but dang, it looks like crap like that. I guess I'm going to have to see about having the plastic window replaced, or get a new top soon. Darnit. It's probably due to the PO not taking very good care of it, so the plastic has become brittle. CRAP.
One Boxster in our parking lot has black tape all over the top itself and it looks like crap. You plastic window is replacable only for about $300-$600 depending on where you live, which is much cheaper than the poor Boxster in our lot. Just trying to make you feel better
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
the manufacturer of the canvas material endorses Raggtopp use, I'm sure there are other brands that work well at cleaning canvas as well but there's just not much feedback when it comes to Porsche.
Yep, lack of feedback. Thats what it is.
RaggTop(top) and Plexus(plastic window) are the most well known products in convertible community, but there are good alternatives out there. Renovo is one good example, they have excellent products for convertible top and plastic windows.
Switched from RaggTop to Scotch for easy of use and more effective IMHO.
Confused? Stick with RaggTop & Plexus to be safe
Old 01-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinijazz
One Boxster in our parking lot has black tape all over the top itself and it looks like crap. You plastic window is replacable only for about $300-$600 depending on where you live, which is much cheaper than the poor Boxster in our lot. Just trying to make you feel better
I had that issue also before i replaced the top. Before i replaced it, my girlfriend thought 3m had sponsered me cause of the massive amounts of tape on my window.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinijazz

Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be TOO bad... I just have to find a shop that can do it, and do a quality job. I think the result will be two-fold: Resolving the cracks, and starting with a fresh, clear window!

I'll have to start doing research... I have a bonus and my tax return coming up soon, so I might be able to get it done soon.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

Fray,

I think your best bet may be to shell out the $$$ for a replacement top with the glass rear window.

If you have to do it, might as well do it right !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Fray,

I think your best bet may be to shell out the $$$ for a replacement top with the glass rear window.

If you have to do it, might as well do it right !

Nick

I'm thinking I might have to do that, too. Asked my dad for the name of the shop that replaced the top on mom's LeBaron. I looked at their website, and they list the Boxster glass top. I'm going to drop them a line soon and ask a few questions.

I'd definitely do it if it were sub $1k installed, and if the top has the headliner. I LOVE the stock top with the nice soft headliner.

I'll start a post when I get into it.