Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
Auto-X helmet question

I'm planning to do about 6 Autocrosses this year, and I'm trying to figure out what I need in the way of a helmet. I've read the PCA club racing rules and seen all of those requirements, but I'm not planning on doing anything that serious. Do I need to lay out $400+ on the latest Snell rated bucket, or can I get away with a DOT helmet for less than half that cost? I'd love to know what other folks are using and where purchases were made.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #2

When I was looking for my helmet I asked the same question. A friend asked me-What is your head worth?

I ended up getting the $400 Bell helmet and a hardtop to boot!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 AM   #3

I bought a helment with the required SA2000 rating (might be a newer version now, perhaps SA2005?) back when I was racing for $150. it did the job and was just as safe as some other SA2000 brain bucket.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #4

Check this link:

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=helmets_gforce

If that link doesn't work, just go to discoveryparts.com, look up helmets
and go from there.

About halfway down the list is a hybrid model from G-Force -- it's full face
but with a bigger opening for better communication to your instructor.

Talk to Ron -- or anyone else there. Good prices, great service. G-Force
is SA2005 and sells at a lower price point that, for example, Bell.

Alll the best,

- Mark

Last edited by Houston C4S; 01-20-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Snell does an excellent job of testing every helmet for safety so if it meets the Snell standards it will protect you in a crash. A DOT rated helmet is not legal at most events. It meets basic construction standards but has probably never been tested. Pyrotech and Zaamp both offer SA2005 rated helmets for around $200. Bell has a great product but it doesn't come cheap.

Beyond the safety rating the next question is fit and comfort. I have owned over a dozen helmets in my life from Bell, Shoei, MC, HJC and Zaamp. They have protected my head during some fairly spectacular crashes. The Bell and the HJC always fit my head the best and were comfortable for long events. The MC was cheap and was torture if on longer than 30 minutes. I am sure you can find one with a Snell rating with good fit within your budget.

Most Auto-x events have helmets available for rent so you can try before you buy. Get there early and reserve one.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I'm planning to do about 6 Autocrosses this year, and I'm trying to figure out what I need in the way of a helmet. I've read the PCA club racing rules and seen all of those requirements, but I'm not planning on doing anything that serious. Do I need to lay out $400+ on the latest Snell rated bucket, or can I get away with a DOT helmet for less than half that cost? I'd love to know what other folks are using and where purchases were made.

Read the rules for where you want to run. PCA, SCCA, Others? While some clubs have loaners, do you really want to put your head in a loaner helmet. Most PCA regions now require Snell 2000 SA (not M or DOT ratings). On the other hand, it should be "legal" for 5-10 years. How much is your head worth to you?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
When I was looking for my helmet I asked the same question. A friend asked me-What is your head worth?

I ended up getting the $400 Bell helmet and a hardtop to boot!
True, but then again.
Auto-X is no real racing, what danger for your head is there when you Auto-cross. The only time I ever needed a helmet was when I rode with a guy in a 996 who had a rool cage and I bumped my head (protected by a helmet) against the cage.

I went with a cheapo SNELL and DOT certified helmet from my local motor-bike store (about $120)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
we had a discussion on helmets, just do a quick search now its 2005 but i think the other ones still are acceptable
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #9

If you run short of funds or otherwise caught in a bind, any of the following make a fine alternative and are PCA approved.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
True, but then again.
Auto-X is no real racing, what danger for your head is there when you Auto-cross. The only time I ever needed a helmet was when I rode with a guy in a 996 who had a rool cage and I bumped my head (protected by a helmet) against the cage.

I went with a cheapo SNELL and DOT certified helmet from my local motor-bike store (about $120)

Depends, I've run "autocrosses" where I've reached nearly 80mph. Should one "F"up at 80 mph, it could lead to rolling the car. I think I would want a helmet for that.

Autocross, by definition of your INSURANCE company, is racing- It is a timed competitive event. Look at your policy.. Check your exclusions. So, unless you have "racing" insurance, you could be SOL, should you find your car wrapped around/over a curb or lightpost during an AX.

In the end, it comes down to "how much do you like your head"?

Consider that many folks who autocross also do Drivers Ed events or actual racing. So there is more than one venue for helmet use.

Also consider that a $300 Bell helmet, with appropriate SA and Snell ratings are good for a number of years (5-10), bringing the "annual" helmet cost down to $30-60/yr - about the cost of an event or two. Now it doesn't seem so bad
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

you absolutely need a helmet. I had a moron on foot trying to run across my line one time, I got on the brakes HARD and hit my head on a pillar. Put a nice scratch on the helmet.
Sometimes there are as many as 3 cars on the course during a hot lap. Theres allot of room for someone to get hit by a car. Its always the idiot factor that makes any type of motorsports dangerous. One guy put his car into a light pole, (ok he's not an idiot but club President!!).

You would be amazed at how little background checking goes on at these events.
You've got a car that can pass a hurried pre-event inspection, no clue how to drive and $40 and you have free reign. Most of the drivers are regulars but many are unknowns. THis one time a bunch of foreign guys show up, at first I thought they just noticed us from the highway because none are speaking English. One guy enters the Autox. The guy is all over place GOING FAST, knocking over cones in his old Beamer and when he gets to the end of the lap HE IS NOT BRAKING.
Everyone runs out of the way finally gets on the brakes, pitches the car sideways and does about a 40 foot drift toward a crowd of spectators. scary and yes they let him do the rest of his laps.

The best kind of helmet for Autocross is one without a visor that is fairly open in the face. The Sparco
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #12

Hi,

All good advise so far. But one thing to be considered, mentioned in the previous Helmet thread but not yet mentioned here, is weight.

This especially true for Auto-X where your head is thrown around much more than most other track events. A lighter Helmet can really reduce the Fatigue Factor and be the difference between a sore, stiff, neck the next day, and not. It may even help your ETs because you're not fighting as hard to keep your head upright.

Most Helmets are made from FibreGlass, but a number are also now using lightweight Kevlar. In addition to be extremely light (compared to a FibreGlass one), they are also exceptionally strong (maybe even bulletproof - I haven't checked that one yet - ).

Some of the lightest Helmets now produced (and Snell 2005 certified) are from the French manufacturer Stand 21 - http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Helmets/brand/Stand+21/prodID/181 . They're spendy, but a worthwhile investment if you do a lot of motorsports. Just a few ounces less can make all the difference in the world...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-22-2007 at 02:33 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #13

sube is a great shop and this is their BEST line up.

http://www.subesports.com/mcs/
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #14

Hi perfectlab,

I think you misunderstood me here. I never said that you don't need a helmet. I completely agree with you that you need one. But you would probably agree with me that every helmet with a current DOT or Snell sticker would have protected your head when you hit the pillar.

If you *really* manage to flip your car over, I believe we all have to be much more worried about the lack of protection from the roll bar (at least the ones of us w/o a hardtop). At least in my case as I would never pass the broomstick test without a rollbar extension.

So I guess if I'd have the choice between a $1,200 helmet like the carbon fiber ones OR a cheaper helmet and I spend the money I safe on a rollbar extension ($600) I'd go that route...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
you absolutely need a helmet. I had a moron on foot trying to run across my line one time, I got on the brakes HARD and hit my head on a pillar. Put a nice scratch on the helmet.
Sometimes there are as many as 3 cars on the course during a hot lap. Theres allot of room for someone to get hit by a car. Its always the idiot factor that makes any type of motorsports dangerous. One guy put his car into a light pole, (ok he's not an idiot but club President!!).

You would be amazed at how little background checking goes on at these events.
You've got a car that can pass a hurried pre-event inspection, no clue how to drive and $40 and you have free reign. Most of the drivers are regulars but many are unknowns. THis one time a bunch of foreign guys show up, at first I thought they just noticed us from the highway because none are speaking English. One guy enters the Autox. The guy is all over place GOING FAST, knocking over cones in his old Beamer and when he gets to the end of the lap HE IS NOT BRAKING.
Everyone runs out of the way finally gets on the brakes, pitches the car sideways and does about a 40 foot drift toward a crowd of spectators. scary and yes they let him do the rest of his laps.

The best kind of helmet for Autocross is one without a visor that is fairly open in the face. The Sparco
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #15

The rollbar extension is an excellent upgrade even if you don't track or autocross.
Improves safety and performance.
A guy in one of my clubs offered me one for sale when he moronically went from BoxsterS to M3-- well at least he ditched the benchmark roadster for the coupe and not the drop top M3.

Yeah no need to drop more than a couple hundred on a helmet for atuocross.
I have a 2nd hand nearly brand new Bieffe F1 from Ebay.
If anything my helmet is overkill, a rally style helmet with the open face is a better option because it get bloody hot waiting for you lap in the middle of July.

What I might consider is a set of harness belts if you can fit them to your seats.
Some run them under the stock seats. The belts make a big difference on lap times as you take weight off the steering wheel, you're in good.
They also sell the inexpensive CG lock to keep you anchored at the belt a good alternative if you don't want to spend hundreds on a six point http://www.cg-lock.com/

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-23-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #16

This should work for you...I have an extra one.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote