Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #1

Advise on removing Boxster Emblem

Guys, My Boxster S rear emblem / badge has been broken (got caught on my enthusiastic polishing) I have ordered a silver 987 Boxster S badge to replace the titanium 986 version (quite excited about this).... My question is what is the best way of removing the old sign and adhesive without damaging the paintwork?
If anyone has done this before I would really appreciate the hints and tips.

Thanks

This is the old badge (before breaking!)..I will post pix of new.

Last edited by Y2BOX; 01-18-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Y2BOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #2

Warm up the emblem area slightly with either a blow dryer or just leave it in the sun for a bit. Take dental floss and lightly saw through the adhesive. Once the emblem comes off, you can easily rub off the adhesive with goo gone, or just wet the adhesive a bit and rub it off using gentle pressure from your fingers, no nails!
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #3

1. Use dental floss to saw it off

2. User some Elbow grease to gently rub the rest off with a soft cloth.

good luck!
scottiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i used fishing line.

but as stated above, just take the blow dryer and warm it up, then slide underneath and call it a day. if you have some glue left over, put some goo gone and it will come off.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
bmussatti

Y2BOX, you could always run without the badge. No need to replace it! That's how I ordered my car from Germany. Love it without. Adds a bit of "mystery" to the car.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

I'm badgeless too. Makes washing and waxing far easier too. Plus, really old guys will come up to you in parking lots and ask you "what the heck kind of car is that anyway?"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #7

The silver emblem looks nice against Arctic Silver, I upgraded mine but went with the simple 986S.

1. Get some liquid soap and lubricate the rear trunk, you know like you are washing it. They sell an adhesive remover at Pepboys to remove bumper sitckers and such.
2. Dental floss, the waxed kind to prevent scrtatching. Go slowly left to right.

the badge should seperate very easily if the adhesive becomes soaked.
Then use the adhesive remover to clear off the rest of the goo. Don't rub hard if there are stubborn bits just add more liquid to lubricate.

it might be a good idea to take measurements before you remove it to center the new badge.

And don't listen to the schoolyard bullies, all Porsches should have a crest in the front and a model designation in the back. You would be surprised how many people think I don't have a Boxster just because it says 986S back there. Two guys at the gas station got into a heated argument about my car being something other than a Boxster.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #8

Hi,

I think the look of being badgeless could appeal to me. But, as my car is now 8 years old, I won't remove it for fear that the paint (Guards Red) may have faded enough for it to be very noticeable (Red is generally considered to be one of the more easily faded colors). This despite the car being garaged it's entire life and generally having spent less time in direct sunlight than many others. I don't want to have to repaint an entire panel to achieve a match. This is something every years-old Boxster owner should consider before going badgeless...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-19-2007 at 06:50 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
my emblem is actually a stailes steel decal, so washing/drying/waxing is no problem at all.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #10

My emblem looks like a third grader (on a Friday after nap time) applied it... Fresh from the factory, it's got adhesive goo all around the edges. I think it's causing enough friction on the rear to actually increase drag... LOL!

Nice clean removal might be in order!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #11

Thanks for the advise guys....going to try the soap and dental floss in the morning.

Perfect lap: I'm glad the silver looks good, it was between that and chrome...and I also considered the 986s badge...good point about measureing.

Didnt want to go badgeless I like the Porsche script, I like to keep the car pretty much factory but with subtle changes.

I know its not exciting to all but I will post my finished pictures of hopefully scratch free paintwork and a straight Boxter S Badge!

Thank again............
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #12

[QUOTE=MNBoxster]Hi,

". . . This despite the car being garaged it's entire life and generally having spent less time in direct sunlight than many others. I don't want to have to repaint an entire panel to achieve a match."

How can your paint fade with only 2 weeks of sunshine the whole year in Minnisota?

A buddy of mine from Minnisota once told me that winters in Minnisota were 10 months long . . . and then there was 2 months worth of tough sledding.

Bn
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #13

[QUOTE=bnorman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

". . . This despite the car being garaged it's entire life and generally having spent less time in direct sunlight than many others. I don't want to have to repaint an entire panel to achieve a match."

How can your paint fade with only 2 weeks of sunshine the whole year in Minnisota?

A buddy of mine from Minnisota once told me that winters in Minnisota were 10 months long . . . and then there was 2 months worth of tough sledding.

Bn
Hi,

Your friend was correct, then along came global warming and that screwed us all up for the past 6 or 7 winters. Not nearly so severe as it used to be and for the most part, all the major storms of the past few winters have dropped snow all around us - seriously socked Ontario, Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, while we stayed Sunny and Dry. Avg. snowfall is off by nearly 2/3 of what it was 10-15 years ago. Snowmobile, Snow Blower, and Winter Tire retailers have been starving here the past few years.

The downside is that Spring and Fall seem to be lengthened and Summer shortened considerably. In 2006, we only had 10 days of 90° or higher temps from April through Sept. when the average used to be more like 45-50 days for that timespan. It's getting weird, people are afraid to put away their short sleeved shirts and Bermudas...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #14

It is getting suspiciously warm and or freaky weather all over the place these days, eh? That Al Gore may be on to something...although it's been near-record cold at night here in Cali.

Not trying to start a global-warming debate of any sort, but it really seems that we may be headed towards trouble (or knee-deep in it already).

Just another reason, among many, that I'm happy to live in the generation I do, rather than a later one.

Aimless midnight musing over...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #15

Update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>u
Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #16

Update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>update>>>>upda

The HAIRDRYER/DENTAL FLOSS method worked fantastically well....just waiting for the new badge to arrive.

Maybe I should of gone for 986S......
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
It is getting suspiciously warm and or freaky weather all over the place these days, eh? That Al Gore may be on to something...although it's been near-record cold at night here in Cali.

Not trying to start a global-warming debate of any sort, but it really seems that we may be headed towards trouble (or knee-deep in it already).

Just another reason, among many, that I'm happy to live in the generation I do, rather than a later one.

Aimless midnight musing over...
Hi,

I'm not yet thoroughly convinced that it is Global Warming, but the evidence does increasingly seem to be mounting in favor of it. In any event, it sure is getting weird. Maybe Al Gore started it just to extricate himself from obscurity...

Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #18

el nino

global warming is killing the polar bear, ice caps melting bears can't travel for food over the ice.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #19

Global warming MY KEISTER!!

That's my car Wednesday night... with about 1" of ice on it. Down here in Central Texas! BRRRRRR!!!

And as a contrast, our summers have been more mild in recent years. I think in 02 or 03, we had 90 days in a row that went over 100 degrees. Last summer, I think we only broke 100 a handful of times.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #20

The following link explains how to remove the logo in good detail

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/logo_removal.htm

Pharaoh Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote