Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #1

Rear Speaker Kits

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a rear speaker kit from?

I cant seem to find one on ebay and P-Dealers price made me faint....

Ta.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
heres one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Rear-Speaker-Kit-THE-Upgrade_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42612QQihZ011QQ itemZ320073118859QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
DJ hit the nail on the head with this one

Harvey at PNP is a great person to work with and those speakers help fill out the sound in the Box, I installed a pair and am happy with them; and the price is not bad at all.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i cant say if they are good or not, i saw them on ebay, but i dont really care bout the crappy stereo or speakers since i had the radio on fmaybe 5 times in the car
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
kls

"I installed a pair and am happy with them; and the price is not bad at all."

Was the install easy? Also, I have the sliding door storage behind the seat, will in interfere with that? It looks like a pretty good setup.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls
"I installed a pair and am happy with them; and the price is not bad at all."

Was the install easy? Also, I have the sliding door storage behind the seat, will in interfere with that? It looks like a pretty good setup.

Hi,

Install is pretty easy, I'd rate it a 2.5 on the difficulty scale (1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult). You need to have the hard storage box to do a proper install, though at least one installation I know of used the soft storage bag.

You will need a dremel tool/exacto knife and either some epoxy or a hot glue gun to remove the storage cubbyholes on the storage box and install the speaker grills. And, you need to remove some of the interior trim to route the wiring harness, again, not difficult. The OEM came with wonderful instructions and I suspect the PnP is the same. You'll also need a set of Radio Keys to remove the HU from the dash. The OEM came with them, I suspect the PnP does as well.

I didn't go with the PnP kit, I did OEM, but it's esentially the same as is the overall effect (a buddy did the PnP and we compared the two). Both good kits, I'd say go with the one which costs you less. Consider enclosing the Storage Box and adding some spun poly batting as this improves the sound and reduces/eliminates vibration issues. You can do this for maybe an extra $4 worth of Poly Batting and some thick mil vinyl. PM me if you want some pics of how I did it.

Don't expect Carnegie Hall, just a proper fill instead of the definite Front Staging present on the OEM stereo alone w/o the rear speaker pkg. Well worth it IMHO anyway. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Pretty much as Jim said below, I installed the PnP kit and it did come with the Radio removal tool.

Took me about 2.5 hours to install, but I did not route the wires as per OEM, I went along the passenger side of the console (maybe not the "correct" way but it works) and the guide does not say anything about installing insulation but again as stated below, you really want to.

also the PnP kit does have better drivers than the OEM kit from what I have been told, I myself have not heard the OEM so can not say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Install is pretty easy, I'd rate it a 2.5 on the difficulty scale (1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult). You need to have the hard storage box to do a proper install, though at least one installation I know of used the soft storage bag.

You will need a dremel tool/exacto knife and either some epoxy or a hot glue gun to remove the storage cubbyholes on the storage box and install the speaker grills. And, you need to remove some of the interior trim to route the wiring harness, again, not difficult. The OEM came with wonderful instructions and I suspect the PnP is the same. You'll also need a set of Radio Keys to remove the HU from the dash. The OEM came with them, I suspect the PnP does as well.

I didn't go with the PnP kit, I did OEM, but it's esentially the same as is the overall effect (a buddy did the PnP and we compared the two). Both good kits, I'd say go with the one which costs you less. Consider enclosing the Storage Box and adding some spun poly batting as this improves the sound and reduces/eliminates vibration issues. You can do this for maybe an extra $4 worth of Poly Batting and some thick mil vinyl. PM me if you want some pics of how I did it.

Don't expect Carnegie Hall, just a proper fill instead of the definite Front Staging present on the OEM stereo alone w/o the rear speaker pkg. Well worth it IMHO anyway. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #8

When looking at the ebay post, I have a set of the "other" speakers. Got them off the net last yr for $199. Never been impressed with the sound they produce, even when the radio is set to just them - they still don't make a lot of sound. I understand they are tiny speakers, but please let's hear something. Don't know what the PnP kit sounds like but those speakers look much more impressive. If I had it to do over, I would spend the extra bucks on the PnP.

There is an excellent article on Pelican detailing the install. It takes you thru every step start to finish.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

If the instructions are like the ones I got, the plug diagram for the back of the radio is very tiny. After I did the install I found a nice diagram in the Radio booklet of my Owners Manual collection. Much easier on the eyes.

Good luck and enjoy.

Terry
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #9

Smile

Thanks,

Got a quote for the PNP kit to be sent to slovenia.

275 US all up, so Im going to go with it.

I also have a guy looking at adding two small (10cm thin)subs behind for some added base.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote