986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   In reply... LPC, sorry long... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8994-reply-lpc-sorry-long.html)

MNBoxster 01-12-2007 08:28 AM

In reply... LPC, sorry long...

Hi,

Bruce, I apologize in advance for attaching the locked thread, but I feel it necessary, and only fair, to respond to some of the attacks made. Then I’m done with it, whatever the replies.

Sorry I failed to entertain some of you. Looks like the door’s been opened now and everyone wants to Pile On. People who never even contributed to the $0.52 Mod thread now feel compelled to get involved. Of course, that’s their right if they choose, I recognize and respect this.

And, am I required to just stand by and remain mute? Who are these people and what right do they have to accuse me (or anyone else for that matter) of anything? Realize that it was ohioboxster, and especially Grizzly, who hi-jacked that thread as a vehicle to criticize me, don’t take my word for it, read the entire thread and look at the timeline, then tell me it’s untrue.

Of course I don't know everything! It's seems silly to have to remind people of that (do they actually think that I do, or possibly think that I think that I do?). Kindly direct me to where I ever posted such a statement? Oh, you can’t? False accusation maybe? Mistaken assumption your part perhaps? How can I be responsible for that? Oh but you say, people think that I do? Am I now responsible for what other people choose to think?

I've been hanging around Cars and Machinery for 40+ years, and while I certainly don't know everything, that doesn't mean I don't know anything. Many wise and patient people were kind enough to pass on the knowledge they acquired over the years to me and if it can aid someone else, I share it. There is however no requirement on your part to read my advice or follow it.

Must I now alert the Media every time something comes along I have no knowledge of? If so, what about all the other 7000 members, do they have the same requirement? Count up the number of threads where I made no contribution or expressed an opinion at all, do you think maybe, just maybe, that was because I had nothing to say or didn't know?

Yea, I have opinions, so what? Don’t all of you? How do you get through Life without them? There certainly seems to be no shortage of them here. Isn't that a big part of Forums like this? My opinion on the Mod in question is that it’s useless, idiotic and Ricer, I’m entitled to have this opinion as you are to yours. I respect your right, please respect mine.

Whenever I express opinion, I always say IMHO, or I believe, I think, etc. You can take it or leave it as you choose, makes no matter to me. That means, occasionally, you and I are going to disagree.

You don't like my style? Too bad, don’t read my replies! The reciprocal may also be true, I may not like your style either, ever think of that? I am not asking you to conform to me, why do you insist that I conform to you? I have never criticized anyone on style. Unlike some others, I try to keep my criticism on point, without digging up past posts out-of-context, or personal slurs about me, or my cars, just to try and bolster an argument.

I’ve been accused of being wrong more often than so-and-so. So what? I am wrong sometimes, again, so what? Why do people deem it necessary to keep me so informed? Is there some sort of running total, or competition going on here which I’m unaware of? If so, I’m not here for that, so count me out!

Many of you only see what goes on in open Forum. I get regular PMs from Members asking my assistance or advice which I give freely, my mailbox is often full. For some, namely those who’ve chosen to Pile On here, I simply am no longer compelled to help them.

I also get many PMs offering encouragements (even in that thread) from those who feel too intimidated by some of the main contributors here to do so openly.

Disagreement turns to attack rather quickly here. But, I know of no instance, including this one, where I openly attacked someone except as a response. And if some of you supposed Fact Checkers come up with such an instance, which may be possible as I haven’t re-read all of my posts here, what is the weight of the evidence? Mostly what I say is true, it just isn’t my style. If you look objectively at some of the replies here, aren’t the accusers doing exactly what they accuse me of? They think I deserve it? WTF are they that they decide what I do, or do not, deserve?

Some people just love to jump into the fray, fight someone else's fight, criticize me, or Bruce, or the Forum (such as Grizzly’s past assertions that there are favored classes here?), etc., just to stand out, or to be cool, like Hyenas waiting for their share of the kill. They have even referred to other cars I own with derogatory remarks just to hurt me ( I am unfazed because they’re really only showing their own ignorance of one best Sports Cars ever made and the 2nd longest production run of any Sports Car, incl. the MGB). Interesting that each of these were members who had run-ins with me in the past. So be it, I can’t, nor do I want, to control what they do. Frankly I could care less about them. As any human being, I’d prefer to be liked than disliked, but not at any cost and certainly not here. I have many good friends and family members who give me that, and unconditionally, as I do them.

But, realize that these accusers often relate things to past threads without ever even actually reading the topic at hand and its progression, they pre-judge as it were. Der Geist for example throws numerous quotes totally out-of-context, and each of these were carefully selected for maximum effect, just to hurt and/or strike back at me (did Der Geist actually dig up and review every past thread of mine, and at 2:30am, just to slect the best ones and throw them in my face? How psychotic is that?). A whole lot of generalizations are being made about me with no weight at all. Do we see anyone criticizing those members? Read my 1st contribution to that thread and then look at how, and who, escalated it. If you're truly fair, you'll see there's plenty of room for blame here.

I will, review the bashing I’ve taken in that thread and adjust where I feel appropriate. But I will not be intimidated, or driven away by Bullies, Tag Teams, or angry Mobs. I will continue to express my opinions here like everyone else. That will mean that I sometimes disagree with you. Get over it! This whole debate has just been worthless, if you don’t like me or my posts, the answer is simple… DON’T READ THEM! Everybody vented now?

CJ_Boxster 01-12-2007 09:47 AM

Sorry Jim, but this long post doesnt change the plain fact that you are sometimes a Jerk to people. Thats the only issue people have with you here, Nothing else, other than that, I find your posts to be very informative when they have helpful information, I guess I wouldnt have an issue with your "jerk Like" posts if you just didnt post your negative opinion on someone thread, Theres something about the way you word your negative posts that send a wild hair up my ass sometimes... Other than that, you've helped me and given me great advice and I know your probably a nice guy but you dont hardly seem to express positive feelings and thoughts more than you express negative ones, Thats all.

Perfectlap 01-12-2007 10:50 AM

attacking other forum members should be left for political forums or sports forums. (great fun!) But should not be done on here.
Also, criticisms related to perceived lack of good taste in mods or admitting to grand theft larceny during a wayward youth, should be handled with care and some sensistivity. No need for a public lynching because someone exercised poor judgement in their wheel choice or personal business practices. Ok we get it you are sylisticaly impaired and we get it no need to proclaim it or you obviously follow a different set of ethical guidelines than the balance of the Boxster lot.
Send them a PM don't make 986forum.com a MySpace-type public free for all.
Drama is for the dollybirds (aka females).

blinkwatt 01-12-2007 11:02 AM

I think that alot of you guys are forgetting this is a DISCUSSION forum where people should feel free to express their opinoins/thoughts on something.

CJ_Boxster 01-12-2007 11:06 AM

true, i forget sometimes. I also like to defend the under dog/noobs also.

Brucelee 01-12-2007 11:08 AM

Lets try to put a stake in the heart of this issue.

We should try to stick to making points about ISSUES, not people.

Look, I don't like the RICER look on cars, I think it looks assinine. Therefore, I refrain from buying this type of auto.

However, these statements are NOT a attack on the guys who LOVE that look.

Unless of course I start making it personal by attacking them.

Some folks HATE Porsche autos, which is their right. That hate says NOTHING about me, unless the person starts to make those attacks on my person.

Lets ALL try to do better.

SD987 01-12-2007 12:03 PM

Can't we all just get along?

http://i13.tinypic.com/2aevviq.jpg

Here's something I sing to myself when reading posts about aerokits and boost gauges, maybe it will help you.

Before we begin, I think it would be better if everyone joined hands and got in a circle...

Kum ba ya my Lord, kum ba ya,
Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Someone's crying, Lord, kum ba ya,
Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Someone's singing, Lord, kum ba ya,
Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Someone's praying, Lord, kum ba ya,
Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Now, don't you feel better?

Travis 01-12-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
Oh Lord, kum ba ya.

Dude you crack me up!

Disclaimer: The above post was not an attack on any forum member or their family, just a personal statement and or observation posted at http://986forum.com.

cfos 01-12-2007 12:20 PM

"Sorry Jim, but this long post doesnt change the plain fact that you are sometimes a Jerk to people. "

I couldn't agree more. Some people, it seems, can only be pitchers -- not catchers.

"And if some of you supposed Fact Checkers come up with such an instance, which may be possible as I haven’t re-read all of my posts here, what is the weight of the evidence?"

I can recall personal experience, being that I don't post very much. After all: "I’m entitled to have this opinion as you are to yours."

MMMEMMMMMMOOOORRRRIIIEEESSS... Or the lack thereof. Ahem: "Unlike some others, I try to keep my criticism on point, without digging up past posts out-of-context, or personal slurs about me, or my cars, just to try and bolster an argument."

"@cfos,

Hi,

Too Much! What's it like to be the Girl anyway..?? Think, say, write what you will. The fact is, the sale of the device is legal. If you don't want to buy it, then don't...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99"

For those interested in the thread of origin:
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=27649#poststop

Grizzly 01-12-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
Can't we all just get along?

http://i13.tinypic.com/2aevviq.jpg

July 27, 1987: According to a complaint filed by his wife, King beat her while she was sleeping, then dragged her outside the house and beat her again. King was charged with battery and pleaded "no contest." He was placed on probation and ordered to obtain counseling. He never got the counseling.

November 3, 1989: King, brandishing a tire iron, ordered a convenience store clerk to empty the cash register. The clerk grabbed the tire iron, causing King to fall backwards and knock over a pie rack. King swung the rack at the clerk and fled the store with $200. King was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree robbery, and intent to commit great bodily injury. In a plea agreement, King pleaded guilty to the robbery charge and the other charges were dropped. He was sentenced to two years in prison, but was paroled on December 27, 1990.

March 3, 1991: After being seen speeding on the 210 freeway by CHP officers, King led them on a chase at speeds estimated at up to 110 to 115 mph. When finally stopped, King refused requests to get into the prone position and appeared to charge one of the officers. He was beaten and arrested. King was charged with felony evading. Charges were later dropped.
King's 3/3/91 Arrest Record

May 11, 1991: King was pulled over for having an excessively tinted windshield. Although King was driving without a license and his car registration had expired, King was not charged.

May 28, 1991: King picked up a transvestite prostitute in Hollywood who happened to be under surveillance by LAPD officers. King and the prostitute were observed in an alley engaging in sexual activity. When the prostitute spotted the officers, King sped away, nearly hitting one of them. King later explained that he thought the vice officers were robbers trying to kill him. No charges were filed.

June 26, 1992: King's second wife reported to police that King had hit her and she feared for her life. King was handcuffed and taken to a police station, but his wife then decided against pressing charges.

July 16, 1992: King was arrested at 1:40 A.M. for driving while intoxicated. No charges were filed.

August 21, 1993: King crashed into a wall near a downtown Los Angeles nightclub. He had a blood alcohol level of 0.19. King was charged with violating his parole and sent for sixty day to an alcohol treatment center. He was also convicted on the DUI charge and ordered to perform twenty days of community service.

May 21, 1995: King was arrested for DUI while on a trip to Pennsylvania. King failed field sobriety tests, but refused to submit to a blood test. He was tried and acquitted.

July 14, 1995: King got into an argument with his wife while he was driving, pulled off the freeway and ordered her out of the car. When she started to get out, King sped off, leaving her on the highway with a bruised arm. King was charged with assault with a deadly weapon (his car), reckless driving, spousal abuse, and hit-and-run. King was tried on all four charges, but found guilty only of hit-and-run driving.

March 3, 1999: King allegedly injured the sixteen-year-old girl that he had fathered out of wedlock when he was seventeen, as well as the girl's mother. King was arrested for injuring the woman, the girl, and for vandalizing property. King claimed that the incident was simply "a family misunderstanding."

September 29, 2001: King was arrested for indecent exposure and use of the hallucinogenic drug PCP.

So SD987, did you choose to quote Rodney King because he is a man of questionable character, motive and mental stability, who received a bad beating because he just didn't know when to quit, or was that pure serendipity?

Brucelee 01-12-2007 12:34 PM

OK guys, lets just stop this now.