Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #1

Question Rear View Mirror (auto-dim)

On my Boxster I am looking to get a auto-dimming mirror. I have looked on ebay motors and found a sweet one with a compass and temp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-Dim-Dimming-Temperature-Compass-rear-view-mirror_W0QQitemZ280067004263QQihZ018QQcategoryZ336 99QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, it will not work with our car. That mirror has all the gizmos that I miss from my Chrysler 300. I know there is a specific one Porsche makes, but I cannot find it on Pelican or ebay. Any ideas? Will I have to hardwire it into the car? Anyone ever installed one on a Boxster? Is there a Mirror that someone knows will work on the Boxster?

Bought it 12/2006, so far I got a Magellean and an air freshener...for now...
MrBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Here is one: http://www.dps-motorsports.com/afterMarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=8610
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #3

Hi,

The Self-Dimming mirrors on the Boxster (option code P11) is not retrofittable from everything I read, nor is it listed seperately in my parts catalogs. Besides, this features only self-dimming, no Compass or Temp readout.

I did read one instance that the Interior Mirror is available and can be retrofitted, but that the outside mirrors cannot, maybe due to a different wiring harness not available?

So, your easiest route is the Aftermarket. The one Travis suggests looks good, but it's not a genuine Porsche part. Even the one on eBay can probably be made to work, it all depends upon how much custom work (wiring and mounting) it'd need, but the ad does state that it comes with a separate mounting wedge, so I'm sure you could super glue that one to the windshield for mounting.

Many of the Aftermarket ones are self-contained and battery operated, while others require an external power source. You can tap into the Overhead Light circuit on the Windshield Header for 12V DC pretty easily for the short run which would be required. I did that when I retrofitted Illuminated Sun Visors in my car, which I was also told could not be retrofitted, it took a little creative engineering, but they work great and are indistinguishable from the exterior to the Factory mounted ones.

So, it's definitely doable. Try to find an aftermarket one you like the looks of and get it to check if it's easily mounted and make sure it's returnable if you cannot figure out (or don't want to) make it work. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote