Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #1

ok, I give up...what's the best way/place to sell the Boxster?

I have it listed here / autotrader / cars.com / renntech.org..........ZERO interest in the car....not one email! (tons of photos on each listing too)

any help would be appreciated.

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
try puting the amber corners back on, to some people it might not look tasteful.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
lower the price by half, it will sell in a day

on the serious note, go to carmax and they will give you a price that they will pay for your car, if you like it sell it to them
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #4

Might add Pelican Parts and Rennlist. Also here.

Since I know nothing about the car, I can't tell if you've over priced it, is it in bad shape etc. Also realize for most in the US (northern climates/snowy areas etc) people aren't looking to buy convertibles this time of year.

Did you just list it? How long has it been listed? I would expect at least a week before drumming up interest. I wouldn't expect instantanous response/sale. Boxsters are not a rare commodity.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
lower the price by half, it will sell in a day

on the serious note, go to carmax and they will give you a price that they will pay for your car, if you like it sell it to them
I have a feeling CARMAX will rape me on it....but thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #6

I sold my WRX to Carmax. Needed to sell quick. Not my asking price. Not the lowball amount a dealer offered me either.

Sounds like you are asking too much. Realize that a boxster is NOT a rare car. Sorry. It may be special, but it ain't rare. At any time there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) available for sale nationally. This is your competition. Thus, when it comes to pricing, places like KBB and NADA ARE accurate for NON modified cars. If your car is modded, be prepared to wait for a buyer who appreciates your mods. If they can be reversed, you might get a quicker sale offering them as a "package" or selling them seperately. Just a thought.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 01-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #7

I might also suggest Ebay - I have sold many cars and motorcycles using Ebay. But - the buyer was not actually one of the bidders. Many times, someone in the general area would see the vehicle on Ebay and send me an email. They would come and check it out and offer cash on the spot. In my case, Ebay worked as a great "advertising" tool. Just a thought...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Looking at your other post and options/price, I do not think you have it "overpriced" but close for this time of year

My 0.2 would be if you have the original headlights/taillights to put them back on and sell the upgrades on eBay or here and reduce the amount you are asking by what you get selling them.

Also as the others said it is just a bad time of year to sell a convertable.

Do a search on eBay of like optioned cars that have sold in the last three months and you can get a feel of the average price that they are selling at.

In the meantime, relax and meet the other Houston Boxster's on the 20th for a get together and ride

ps: might want to delete the part of the "
just had the engine cleaned (spotless)" people might think you have something to hide.

2001 Boxster 2.7 silver/black 22k miles
OEM Litronic Xenons
2003 tail lights (have the orig 01 tails as well)
17" wheels with gold colored center caps
heated seats
sport package
brand new OEM 5 speed shift knob
fresh oil change
just had the engine cleaned (spotless)
brand new charcoal acitvated cabin filter
brand new air filter
rear center wind blocker
brand new custom fit car cover
Price is $22900 FIRM

Last edited by Travis; 01-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Nice car, fair price. The calendar is against you. Nobody buys cars in Jan/Feb... ask any dealer. I am also selling a Honda civic for my daughter right now. Three weeks and not one serious cash buyer... Just getting tire kickers and lowballers.

Wait one minute... Your wife might look good in a civic... and just think of all the mods you could do with that 1.6L VTEC... Do I smell a trade??? I think I do!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
2001 Boxster 2.7 silver/black 22k miles
OEM Litronic Xenons
2003 tail lights (have the orig 01 tails as well)
17" wheels with gold colored center caps
heated seats
sport package
brand new OEM 5 speed shift knob
fresh oil change
just had the engine cleaned (spotless)
brand new charcoal acitvated cabin filter
brand new air filter
rear center wind blocker
brand new custom fit car cover
Price is $22900 FIRM
* Spotless engine sounds great. But, you can't easy access the motor to check, so it may not be a selling point

* FIRM - That is perhaps a reason for no noted interest. My take is that $22,9 is a bit market high (but then again, who asks for "too little" expecting more ) but, the FIRM makes it sound you won't haggle/ take a little off the top. If asking $22,9, to a buyer that might mean, $22,5, and I can talk him down.. to .. $21.

$22,9 FIRM to me means $23 and for $23, I can find a higher mileage "S". Or, a 964 or a 993 (if I limit my searches to only Porsches).. So. $23 + tax/registration etc might really mean its a $25K hit for a buyer. Not many folks have $25K in liquid funds, so then some will be scrambling for financing/loans or they would need to sell their car first.. yadda yadda

Ebay is a great tool for getting exposure and feedback for a price range. Not sure its worth the posting fee to find out, but it is another venue.

Good luck on the sale and be patient.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #11

I would also suggest Ebay. I bought my 328i and Boxster S by using them. As someone posted, I saw it but traveled to look and drive the cars without actually going through the auction.

I sold a SUV to buy the S and had alot of offers to cancel the bid and sell.

Two advantages of Ebay. One, you can keep it for sale on auto trader etc, just state it is for sell locally and reserve the right to cancel the auction. Second, you can set the reserve so there is no concern of it selling for less than you want.
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #12

thanks for all the input....I really appreciate it

guess I'll put the amber side markers back on it...

and the orig 01 tails too?

hummmm do you guys really think the engine cleaning looks like I'm hiding something? let me know and I'll remove it...(personally I love seeing a car with a spotless motor...it shows the owner cares about it).

thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
bmussatti

Bagwell, would a dealer in your area take the car on consignment? Just a crazy thought. Sorry.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #14

What some other people touched on... if you look at the BUYER's side of Autotrader, etc, there are a LOT of Boxsters out there for sale. I think when I searched (and btw found my Boxster on Autotrader) within my parameters - 2000 to 2002 year model somewhere around $xx,xxx- I found probably thirty to forty cars!

It's a sad fact for the seller... but good for the buyer.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #15

Hi,

All good suggestions. But you haven't mentioned how long you've had it up for sale? The waiting is always the hardest part.

As mentioned, the time of year is bad, not just for convertibles, but most luxury items. People are just opening their credit card bills from Xmas and their 1040 forms arrive by mail this week. These things don't put people in a buying mood.

As mentioned, remove the word FIRM from the listing. Think about what incentives or discounts you're willing to offer - get creative. If you stick to your asking price, you'll be waiting awhile, maybe 'til Summer.

I tried to sell a '73 Lotus Elan S4 about 6 yrs. ago. I advertised to the Gen'l. Public - Autotrader, Hemmings, etc. and within the Lotus community - not even a nibble for 5 mos. despite asking a mid-high, but still very fair, price, and the Car being an award winner and pristine. I was going to lose my storage space in a month, and didn't want to pay for storage elsewhere, things were getting more desperate.

So I did some researching and found two reputable Nat'l. Auto Transport Cos. who each agreed to transport the car anywhere in the country for $1000 max. (less if distance was shorter). I had already decided I would move off my price by $1200 if necessary, so I changed my ad to read "Free Transport delivery anywhere in the Cont'l. US for advertised price". The value perception of this incentive was far greater than the actual cost.

Within a week of the ad hitting print, I had a dozen inquiries and 6 solid offers, 1 prospect wanted it so badly that he offered $600 more than my asking price if I'd take it across town for a PPI he'd set up (and paid for) at a local Foreign Car shop!

I ended up selling it to that buyer, who only lived outside St. Louis, Mo., so the Transport Co. only chrg'd. me $650. I sold it in a week for only $50 under my asking price once I threw in free shipping.

So, try to be creative. Post flyers at local Auto Store BBs, Import Service shops, College Student Centers, etc. Maybe a $X Gift Card from Tire Rack or something, anything to get to as many prospects as possible and/or try to make your ad and offer stand out above all the others. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-10-2007 at 09:38 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
you know what tho, give carmax a try, my friend was selling his car on autotrader, we went to carmax for hell of it to see how much they will give him for his car, and since they do a full inspection of your car if the price is not good at least you got ur car checked for free (he had a leak of some sort that they discovered, but the point of the story was that they offered him 300 dollars more than what he was asking for the car on autotrader, needless to say we took a cab home
you never know what they might offer you...not that im affiliated with carmax, just a funny experience.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
I would also suggest Ebay. I bought my 328i and Boxster S by using them. As someone posted, I saw it but traveled to look and drive the cars without actually going through the auction.

I sold a SUV to buy the S and had alot of offers to cancel the bid and sell.

Two advantages of Ebay. One, you can keep it for sale on auto trader etc, just state it is for sell locally and reserve the right to cancel the auction. Second, you can set the reserve so there is no concern of it selling for less than you want.
I also do the same thing with the reserve. I prefer to sell the vehicle locally, so I set the reserve high ( in your case, I would say $24,215 ). That way you are not obligated to sell if the auction does not hit your reserve, but if someone bids $24k + ( unlikely ) I would take the money and run !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote