Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

Red face Question about battery warning light

I can feel that my '02 Boxster's battery is about to run out of juices. Does the battery warning light go on at certain point before I should change the battery? Or should I just play it safe and get a new battery?

yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbox
I can feel that my '02 Boxster's battery is about to run out of juices. Does the battery warning light go on at certain point before I should change the battery? Or should I just play it safe and get a new battery?
Hi,

There is no battery warning light, it's a charging system warning light. If the Alternator and/or battery cannot maintain a charge, the light comes on.

Wet Cell Batteries have about a 3-5 year lifespan, so yours is closer to the end of it's life than the beginning (assuming it's the original).

On the other hand, GMT (Glass Mat Technology) batteries such as the Optima brand have a lifespan double or triple that of Wet Cell batteries. They also offer more starting power, and since they are completely sealed, they release no acidic vapors under the hood which can cause corrosion like a Wet Cell does.

The downside is that they are at least double the price of a Wet Cell battery. Also, on the Boxster, it requires an adapter plate and a longer battery cable than OEM to convert to GMT use.

But, the benefits outweigh the cost IMHO and that's what I plan on replacing my Wet Cell Battery when the time comes in a couple years (the Dealer installed a new Wet Cell in mine when I bought it in 04/05). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #3

Pity there's no proper gauge!

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote