986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Considering a Boxster-looking for advice (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8911-considering-boxster-looking-advice.html)

batm 01-05-2007 08:29 PM

Considering a Boxster-looking for advice

Hi All. I'm new to the forum, and although I'm not currently a Boxster owner, I think I want to be. From the research I've done, it seems like a great car, and I'd love to own a Porsche, but I'm just not sure if it's the right thing for me, and I'm hoping to get some questions answered to help me decide.

1) How practical is it to drive a Boxster in the winter? I live in a part of Canada with 5 months of snow, and with periods of extreme cold (not uncommon to see minus30 Celsius during coldest part of winter). I assume that if I go for a Boxster, I'd also need a separate winter car based on my climate - is that a reasonable assumption, or could the Boxster potentially be a year round daily driver even in harsh winter climates?

2) Does the Boxster lose much of it's appeal if you don't often get the chance to drive on well maintained, twisty, hilly roads? Or to put it another way, is there still a sufficient "fun factor" with a Boxster if most of your driving is routine city driving?

3) What sort of impact does time of year have in terms of used market pricing? I'd assume that prices would drop over winter, and move upwards again as spring approached. Is that assumption correct, and if so, how large are the price swings? What months are best to buy in?

4) Is there a specific model year(s) that would represent the best value? Are there specific model years to stay away from?

5) Are there any "must have" options, or options that should be specifically avoided?

6) I currently drive a 2006 BMW 330xi sedan, which I personally consider to be an excellent car, and lots of fun to drive. For anyone who has owned both, what's your take on the advantages of a Boxster over a 3 series BMW?

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

super66 01-05-2007 09:54 PM

buy it....don't think twice about it....ready? here you go....

1) How practical is it to drive a Boxster in the winter?
I live in Chicago, pretty harsh winters, get a set of snow tires and you will not have any problems....they only time you will actually have a problem is on the days when EVERY car has a problem and the ditches are filled with the almighty SUV's....we've only had one of those so far here....

2) Does the Boxster lose much of it's appeal.....
absolutely not!!! I daily drive it and twice a week commute downtown and even on those days it is still the best car to drive period....one thing you may want to consider is the tip trans, I have a manual and some days I curse it....until I drive an automatic and realize that stick is the way to go....I just took my box to the shop, I got 2 loaners...long story.....Mercedes c230 Kompressor, and then a brand new Cayenne.....both times I was depressed and simply wanted nothing more than the box back, it doesn't get old.....

3) What sort of impact does time of year have in terms of used market pricing? I'd assume that prices would drop over winter, and move upwards again as spring approached. Is that assumption correct, and if so, how large are the price swings? What months are best to buy in?
I bought my 05 in January 06, didn't plan it, old jeep got totaled, I got about 10K off the MSRP....I was just at the dealer and they are willing to deal right now...they actually had markdowns on the car windows....that wasn't the case when I bought mine....

4) Is there a specific model year(s) that would represent the best value? Are there specific model years to stay away from?
IMHO I would go 05 and up simply becausse I prefer the interior...also the base 05 has about as much power as the earlier s models....I may be wrong but I think 240 vs 258 on the 04 S.....

5) Are there any "must have" options, or options that should be specifically avoided?
get windstop, top bose system, auto climate, seat warmers, and the rims you want

6) I currently drive a 2006 BMW 330xi sedan, which I personally consider to be an excellent car, and lots of fun to drive. For anyone who has owned both, what's your take on the advantages of a Boxster over a 3 series BMW?
I've driven a ton of BMW's and my bro currently has a Z3, they don't hold up....the handling, the way the car handles and feels, its like nothing else, not sure if you have test driven one but just do it and you'll see

MNBoxster 01-05-2007 10:09 PM

Hi,

No offense, but this is the wrong place to receive an unbiased opinion. Research the car at Consumer Reports and such, test drive it, along with it's many competitors and make your decision. If still interested in a Boxster, a PPI is a must. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

z12358 01-06-2007 12:23 AM

If you can afford (to drive and park) two cars then consider a Box for top down joyrides in the summer (stored for winter). If you can only have one car, the 330xi is already the optimal car for you -- sporty enough for fun in the twisties (the 3 series BMW are still the best sport sedans out there), and all-wheel drive for those 5 snowy months. Just my opinion, of course.

blinkwatt 01-06-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batm
Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

It comes down to two things,nothing else;

-DO YOU LIKE IT?

-CAN YOU AFFORD TO REPAIR/MAINTAIN IT?

Don't beleive anything else,only you can make the right decision.

Ronzi 01-06-2007 09:52 AM

Sports cars are inherently impractical, and most specifically so in the snow. Lack of ground clearance and big fat tires are a prescription for getting stuck on a regular basis. If you can handle that aspect, through another vehicle, public transportation, begging rides from friends, the a Box is a great choice for those other seven months.

Brucelee 01-06-2007 10:26 AM

Drive as many Boxsters as the dealers in your area will allow.

If you drive the car enough, your answers will be revealed.

YellowPorscheMan2002 01-06-2007 12:30 PM

Hi:

1)You can drive almost any car in the winter, if you have a set of snow tires, weigh down the rear axle, and have experience driving in snow. But, the Boxster is at heart a sports car, so it will never be like a heavier sedan or SUV in snow; that's not what it was built for.

2) No way doesn the car lose any appeal in the city; just whip around those corners dude!

3) Best time to buy a sprots car is in the winter. Simple question of supply and demand. Less demand in the winter for sports cars.

4) Tough question. Someone summed it up nicely earlier. Newer models are a bit nicer, and faster, but more money. Just depends what you're willing to spend.

5) I would recommend staying away from 16" wheels in olders models. Also, get a 2003 or newer if you can; the plastic window I have is lousy.

6) I've owned 3 series Bimmers, and I currently own a Benz C32 AMG as my everyday car. Go and test drive a Boxster and see what YOU think are the pros and cons. Bimmers are nice cars, but I've always found the seats to be less comfy than the Benz, but the car is definatly more driver oriented than the Benz. The Boxster is a pure sports car, so you'll find the handling to be even tighter, and more of a bumpy ride than your 330ix. By the way, nothing like 4 wheel drive in the snow. If you want a Porsche in the snow, I'd go for a Carrera 4S.

djomlas 01-06-2007 01:09 PM

you can drive pretty much any car in winter time with any tires, well not in 6 feet of snow of course, but whatever the cearance is.
i drove a muscle car(camaro LS1) with summer ony 315s as a daily driver for 2 yrs, and i was perfectly fine (no sandbags or anything of that nature)

FrayAdjacent 01-06-2007 01:27 PM

I agree with what a lot of people are saying. It can be a daily driven car, even in crappy weather.

However, I just have to gloat that I can drive the same car, year round, on the same tires. It just doesn't get that cold down here!

I bet you'll dig the Boxster. I've had mine a week and I love it.

Paul 01-06-2007 03:20 PM

I've driven Porsches in Central PA (PSU) and in WI in the winter for decades.

They are very capable if the snow is less than 6 inches deep.

It's a a matter of protecting the Porsche from salt trucks, and tractor/trailers that throw crap all over the car. It's a little daunting looking up at an 18 wheeler throwing snow 8' in the air as it goes by you.

In the winter, I drive mine on nice days, other than that I'll be in my SUV!!! Sure beats not having it for half the year like most snowbelt posters on this board!!!

batm 01-06-2007 04:50 PM

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm sure glad that I found this forum.

Based on the replies, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Boxster could definitely be used for much (if not all) of the winter, but that I'd probably still be better off if it wasn't my only car.

I envy those of you who live in warm climates, as well as those of you who have multiple dealerships to choose from. There is only 1 Porsche dealership here in Winnipeg, and the next nearest Canadian dealership is 800 miles away in Calgary. I've only been to visit the local dealer once, but they seem to be pretty decent. Unfortunately, they don't have any used Boxsters available. I haven't test driven anything yet, as I don't like test driving cars I'm not serious about buying, and a brand new one is out of the question unless it's my only vehicle.

Out of curiosity, how many of you use your Boxster as your daily driver? I get the impression that many of you have a Boxster as a "fun" vehicle, and have something else as the "practical" one.

Again, thanks for the replies.

denverpete 01-06-2007 05:57 PM

I just have to say that while it can certainly be a daily driver (DD), you simply can't rely on it as your sole vehicle in snow country. To wit, I use mine as a daily driver (all seasons + a separate set of snows) and I haven't driven it in over 3 weeks due to snow. Then, after the snow melts sufficiently to get on the clear roads, I still probabably won't drive it since I'll be getting rocks thrown up for the next few weeks.

I think it would make a very nice compliment to your BMW. But please don't buy one simply because "It's a Porsche". Buy it because you love the way it looks, drives, feels. But don't ever buy it simply so you can own a Porsche - well, unless that's somehow important to you.

There are many, many, many here who use their Boxster as a DD. There are probably equally many who use it just for summers/weekends/occasions. But who cares? We're talking about YOU. A Boxster can be a reliable DD given that you understand the maintenance costs.

My advice is to go drive a few Boxsters in your price range - Find one you like - Then report back here for further buying advice.

Good luck!

Bavarian Motorist 01-06-2007 06:18 PM

I daily drive my boxster, and I used to daily drive my 2006 325xi sedan.

The only problem I've had with the boxster in bad weather is when the RWD gave problems going up a hill when it was covered in snow. Likewise, a FWD car would give problems as well, just in different situations.

AWD is really the best for the snow, but I'm sure in canada they have snow plows ready by 4 am.

I was, however, fine on slushy roads.

The 325xi was a great car. Zippy, good handler and looked pretty good. It's more practical in the sense you can seat other people, but the boxster is much better IMO.

It has a good amount of trunk space for the type of car that it is because it has one in the front as well as the rear.

The advantages are everything you'd think they'd be: Sports car fun as opposed to sports sedan fun.

So basically it comes down to what you want. Do you need the more practical AWD sedan as much as you want a sports car?

I'd say take both if you could :D

MNBoxster 01-06-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
I've driven Porsches in Central PA (PSU) and in WI in the winter for decades.

They are very capable if the snow is less than 6 inches deep.

It's a a matter of protecting the Porsche from salt trucks, and tractor/trailers that throw crap all over the car. It's a little daunting looking up at an 18 wheeler throwing snow 8' in the air as it goes by you.

In the winter, I drive mine on nice days, other than that I'll be in my SUV!!! Sure beats not having it for half the year like most snowbelt posters on this board!!!

Hi,

Sorry, have to disagree. I could have my Boxster on the road for several weeks of our winter here in Mpls./St.Paul, but why? The Z-rated Tires don't work properly at low temps, and you never know when you'll encounter ice or salt.

What's the use of pulling the Boxster out of hibernation when you can't really wring it out to begin with? Same with my 'Z or my Esprit. I'd rather sit in them in the garage and go Vroom-vroom than break them out and ruin the car, all the while not really being able to really drive them.

Admittedly, withdrawals are a B*tch, but that makes Spring all the more worth while...

djomlas 01-06-2007 10:01 PM

i bought a boxster and didnt really intend to drive it daily, but i got so hooked that i sold my other car and now daily drive the box.
its just too much fun to drive around and i dont regret driving it every day.

and Jim, i know u said once if u have chocolate too much u get sick of it, but this is just not the case for some reason, i cant get enough of this car hehe, and i do get sick and tired of cars quite fast (7 cars in last year or so).

so yea, u can enjoy it as a daily driver, or a pleasure vehicle, its up to you

good luck in finding one and let us know how it all ends up

MNBoxster 01-06-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
i bought a boxster and didnt really intend to drive it daily, but i got so hooked that i sold my other car and now daily drive the box.
its just too much fun to drive around and i dont regret driving it every day.

and Jim, i know u said once if u have chocolate too much u get sick of it, but this is just not the case for some reason, i cant get enough of this car hehe, and i do get sick and tired of cars quite fast (7 cars in last year or so).

so yea, u can enjoy it as a daily driver, or a pleasure vehicle, its up to you

good luck in finding one and let us know how it all ends up

Hi,

you describe the quintessential difference between the Old Bull and the Young Bull...

super66 01-07-2007 03:05 AM

Dude,

its a daily driver and I drive mine daily....snow tires is all you need....I have used it now two winters on frozen and snowy roads with no problem....I think the post about not being able to use it in 3 weeks came from Denver, they are having some pretty extreme weather out there and I'm guessing the boxster isn't the only car sidelined......there has never been a day where the wife's SUV could make it to work and the boxster couldn't...

Brucelee 01-07-2007 06:05 AM

It should be pointed out again that once the snow reaches about 5 inches or so, it matters not what tires you have, your Box is not going anywhere.

So YOU have to define what a DD is to you. If it means going in tall snow, then, no.

My wife's Subaru is GREAT in tall snow.

Topless 01-07-2007 10:54 AM

You already own the best all weather sports sedan money can buy in my opinion. A Boxter is still a very different animal. Mine is a joyride only and still the most fun I have ever had on four wheels. I have zero experience driving my Box in cold weather but there are only two times I don't enjoy driving it:
1. Heavy freeway traffic... mindless low speed clutch, shift, clutch is horrible.
2. When I need to put the top up.

In fact it's about 70 outside with light winds and clear blue skies... I think I'll take her out for a spin. :D :D :D Good luck in your quest.