Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #1

Window Stuck Up, How do you access clips?

Hi, I'm replacing the window regulator on my Porsche Boxster (driver side). However, the window is stuck in the up position and I cannot access the bolts that hold the window.

Does anyone know how to manually get the window to move down? Or how I can access the bolts?

nightmarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #2

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/search.php... on this search for window regulator or clb0099 as the poster and the guy firehawk gives a breakdown of what you have to do .
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

Window Regulator Replaced

Thanks clb0099.

I finally replaced my window regulator and everything works great! Before my regulator died, my first sign of trouble was the window not dropping when you open the door. It gradually progressed to the window making some grinding noises, then stopping irratically, then finally not moving at all.

Since my regulator was stuck in the up position, I had to:

1. Unscrew the nuts holding the regulator/motor to the door panel.
2. Unscrew the bolt holding the regulator and motor together.
3. Separate the motor from the regulator.
4. Unscrew the bolt holding the faceplate to the regulator.

Once I removed the faceplate I noticed that the cable sheath was stuck in the spool and would not allow the cable to move at all. Since I was going to replace the regulator, I pulled the cable from the spool allowing the window to freely go down. I suggest you have someone hold the window.

I used the instructions for replacing the window regulator found on this web site:
Boxster Project: Power Window Repair . I was a little confused about the C-shaped plastic hook referenced in step 4 until I realized they were talking about a plastic cover on the door handle.

I replaced the window regulator with a brand new one (two years ago I had paid a repair shop to replace the regulator with a used part...it didn't last very long).

When I put everything back together, I could hear the glass rattle when closing the door with the window down. I didn't know why the glass was rattling so I tore it apart again to check the clamps holding the window. They were on tight.

Looking at the old window regulator, I noticed there was a stopper on the bottom of the front tracks. This stopper was positioned higher than the stopper on the newly installed regulator. Apparently, the Boxster needs a stopper to be positioned higher on the track.

The new window regulator comes with a package that has a new stopper and a rivet to fasten the stopper on the track...which I forgot to install. My old window regulator had a stopper held in place with a T-25 screw so I just reused the old stopper. Plus I didn't have a rivet gun.

I installed everything back together, tested the windows and this time the glass didn't rattle!

I would like to thank the person that posted instructions on how to replace the window regulator. It saved me $300+ dollars doing it myself!!!
nightmarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

Be careful not to set off airbag warning light

One thing to add is if you are to test the window function by connecting the battery, while the airbag connector is still disengaged, then when you put everything back together you'll get a airbag warning light that will stay on. You'll need a PTS2 computer to reset that light. I learned it the hard way.
kkmchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
One thing to add is if you are to test the window function by connecting the battery, while the airbag connector is still disengaged, then when you put everything back together you'll get a airbag warning light that will stay on. You'll need a PTS2 computer to reset that light. I learned it the hard way.
me too !

still toying with getting the durametric. anyone have experience with the durametric and airbag lights ?
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 10-06-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #6

Garage
Yea, I do and it works great. Very user friendly and clearing the airbag warning light is a small part in Durametrics software program. As I explained in my other post, you can activate your on board computer (OBC), read and clear all fault codes (interior, engine, trans) and monitor all aspects of engine operation. I can't wait until they come out with the baby seat air bag deactivation software.

Doing this on your own will save hundreds of dollars and easily pay for itself.