Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #1

Those up and down arrows on the odometer

I was just wondering what the purpose of those arrows are. Before I start my car, those arrows usually have a timer for about 6 or 7 seconds and then stop. After I gassed up this evening though, the arrows' timer was at 6 minutes. Can someone explain to me why this is so? Sorry for my ignorance and stupidity.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Are you refering to the Oil guage.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Are you refering to the Oil guage.
Ya, I guess that's what is is cos theres an icon of the oil there.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #4

Yeap, the difference in the time is to allow for the oil to drain back down to give you a good reading, when the engine is cold the timer is only on for about 7 sec's. The bar's represent the amount of oil (not 100% sure on how much a bar represents though )

And what do they say "No stupid questions, only stupid answers" :dance:
Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yeap, the difference in the time is to allow for the oil to drain back down to give you a good reading, when the engine is cold the timer is only on for about 7 sec's. The bar's represent the amount of oil (not 100% sure on how much a bar represents though )

And what do they say "No stupid questions, only stupid answers" :dance:
Thanks Travis! So if the timer goes to 6 minutes, this is normal? Should I wait for this countdown timer to end before starting the car?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
Thanks Travis! So if the timer goes to 6 minutes, this is normal? Should I wait for this countdown timer to end before starting the car?
Only if you are wanting to check your oil level, I myself will check the oil prior to a drive while the engine is cold and afterwards when I pull into the garage and wipe the car down after a day's drive I would check it (by that time the oil would have drained back down).
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #7

Hi,

The Oil Gauge on the Boxster measures 1.6 US Qts. total. The second hash mark from the top is the MAX fill line, the bottom mark is the MIN fill line - 6 in total.

This means that each hash mark is equivalent to 8.53 oz. or slightly more than 1 cup. Any mark between the bottom (MIN) and the 2nd line from the top (MAX) is the OK range - no need to add any oil. By no means exceed the MAX fill line as this will be an overfill and cause the Oil to foam, reducing your cooling and lubricating capacities.

If the Oil level drops below the MIN level, the lower portion of the gauge will flash. If there is a problem with the Sender, the Wiring or a short to ground, the entire display will flash. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The Oil Gauge on the Boxster measures 1.6 US Qts. total. The second hash mark from the top is the MAX fill line, the bottom mark is the MIN fill line - 6 in total.

This means that each hash mark is equivalent to 8.53 oz. or slightly more than 1 cup. Any mark between the bottom (MIN) and the 2nd line from the top (MAX) is the OK range - no need to add any oil. By no means exceed the MAX fill line as this will be an overfill and cause the Oil to foam, reducing your cooling and lubricating capacities.

If the Oil level drops below the MIN level, the lower portion of the gauge will flash. If there is a problem with the Sender, the Wiring or a short to ground, the entire display will flash. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Thanks Jim!