Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #1

Post cylinder head gasket leak?

I have a 97 euro-spec Boxster with 17k km (or roughly 11k miles) on the odometer that I only use on weekends. The thing is I've noticed a leak coming from the cyl head gasket for a month now. Also it hasn't registered on the dipstick as it still shows full on the stick. I was wondering if any of you would know if this is a normal occurence for the Boxster (given that mileage is very low) and if so what's the best option? Leave it as it is or replace the gasket or reapply silicone, etc? The dealer here in the Philippines is charging me and arm and a leg for the repair since thwey only have the special tool for it-something about a holder for the camshaft.

rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:29 PM   #2

Has a compression test been done?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:01 PM   #3

Nope no compression test has been done and I suppose it's unnecessary at this point as really everything runs smoothly. The shops I have gone to have told me that aside from mopping the floor and checking the dipstick more often, there's no immediate concern. I'm really curious if this problem is normal for the boxster.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #4

Are you talking about an oil leak from the cam cover(s)?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #5

No this is the one towards the block. The cam cover is further out. On the right bank, it's the one with an aluminum gasket (visible), directly underneath it is a hose.