Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #1

help- keyless entry stopped working!

I have had my '00 S for a few months now. When I first got it, in order for the keyless remote to work, I would have to be very close to the car (figured the battery was low). It has now stopped working altogether. I have replaced the batteries twice and tried both keys. Nothing. The locks engage and the alarm turns on when manually locking the doors. Anyone ever have this problem? (my keyless does shut off as I usually go more than 5 days between use) Perhaps that is where the problem is?

Last edited by EB847; 12-30-2006 at 11:30 PM.
EB847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #2

Hi,

FYI, the Key does not turn off after 5 days, rather, the car essentially stops listening for it after 120 Hrs.

If you have changed the battery and you get the LED to light (or not), I suspect you have a faulty Key Fob.

Replacements are available on eBay, but be certain that the Code Card comes with it, or it's useless. You'll need a Dealer Service to program the Car to that new Fob. Hope this helps...

Happpy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #3

What is a key fob?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB847
What is a key fob?
Hi,

Sorry, I mean the remote. The Key portion is actually separate and will be transferred to the new Fob...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #5

Thanks. Seems odd to me that both the remotes no longer work. Makes me think the problem is with the keyless electronics inside the vehicle.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB847
Thanks. Seems odd to me that both the remotes no longer work. Makes me think the problem is with the keyless electronics inside the vehicle.
Hi,

Could very well be, long-distance diagnoses are difficult at best. In either case, a Dealer Service will be required, or an independant with a PST2 Computer.

The Security/Immobilizer component may merely need reprogramming, which I hope is the case since replacement is rather spendy...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 12-31-2006, 12:34 AM   #7

I'm shooting in the dark here.. but do you happen to live close to a radio station/transmission tower?

I parked my car in front of a friend's place in Milwaukee.. right across the road from a radio station and it's rather imposing tower. Key remote just plain old wouldn't work. If I was inside the car everything worked fine (though to not much purpose.. since I was still sitting in my seat) but outside I got nothing. To test it out I drove down the street a few hundred yards and everything worked great.

Just one of those things.
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

Unfortunately, no. Due to the fact it never worked well for me (sometimes it took multiple attempts a foot away from the car for it to work) I'm thinking something may have slowly been going out.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #9

.........bump