986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Gas milage..? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8862-gas-milage.html)

Peer 01-02-2007 04:53 AM

Gas milage..?

Usually I drive with the top down, even when it's cold, but for the heck of it I decided to check my gas-milage with the top up. (Well, this was actually the first time I checked the gas-milage) And yes, mine is a none-opt model.

After depleting one tank of gas on 70% freeway, 20% city, and 10% high-rev canyon roads, I ended up with 23.4 MPG.

Is this about average for a '98 Box with its top up?

-- peer

Brucelee 01-02-2007 05:30 AM

Averages vary, but yes, that seems OK to me.

koya1893 01-02-2007 05:43 AM

Peer,
with that kind of driving which what the Boxster enjoy what you are getting is about right. although I induced "sea foam" in mine about a month ago and when on a business trip with hills and tight turns I got 27mpg. I to rev my car up no 6th gear until about 65-75 mph. How many miles do you have on your car?
Ben

Peer 01-02-2007 06:13 AM

Koya1893 wrote:
> I induced "sea foam" in mine

Is this a term that everyone knows except me..?

> How many miles do you have on your car?

About 104k -- (and never failed smog)

-- peer

FrayAdjacent 01-02-2007 06:22 AM

I believe Sea Foam is a fuel system cleaner/additive. Supposed to have a good reputation.

I haven't had my Boxster for a week yet, but I've asked questions about fuel economy, and it seems that low 20's for city driving and mid to high 20's for highway driving is the norm.

MNBoxster 01-02-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I believe Sea Foam is a fuel system cleaner/additive. Supposed to have a good reputation.

I haven't had my Boxster for a week yet, but I've asked questions about fuel economy, and it seems that low 20's for city driving and mid to high 20's for highway driving is the norm.

Hi,

Sea Foam is really just another Snake Oil out there to snare the unsuspecting enthusiast.

It has 3 main ingredients are - Pale Oil (40-60%), Naptha (25-35%) and Isopropyl Alchohol (10-20%) by volume (source - Sea Foam MDSS Sheet). In bulk, these chemicals can be bought for under $10/gal., but packaged by Sea Foam it goes for more than $42/gal. (not a bad mark-up).

The volatiles in the formula act as a mild Octane Booster (read 0.001 Octane), if you add it to the Fuel Tank, and can clean some deposits off an unhealthy engine. But, it can also attack many of the synthetic hoses and seals used in today's modern engines (especially with that great a Naptha content). If added to the Crankcase, the volatiles (Naptha and IPA) will flash off at 180°, but not before stripping beneficial Oil layers from Bearing Shells and Seals, leaving nothing but a light crude - not too good in the long run.

It's been around since 1942 and so has gained quite a following, if nothing else than due to it's longevity. Back in '42, when Motor Oil and Gasoline were much less refined, it's qualities were much more beneficial. But today, it can actually do more harm than good to the plumbing and emissions system over time.

If you want a good engine treatment made for today's cars, I would recommend Jectron from Lubro-Moly - http://www.********************************************/acatalog/Lubro_Moly_Jectron_Fuel_Injection_Cleaner.html . It's good to use it every other year, or if storing the car for more than 2 months, add a ½ Can to the Fuel Tank when breaking the car out of storage. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

djomlas 01-02-2007 08:41 AM

when i had my other car, i put seafoam in mine, revved it up, wow soooo much white smoke came out, and idle was much better.
i was wondering if anyone put it in their boxster.

btw, there are 3 ways to put it in the car, which one did you use? gas tank?