Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

Nitrogen filled tires?

Okay. Must have been living in a cave the past many years, but what is the deal with nitrogen filled tires?

Sawa guy today. Had blue valve stem sleeves and caps. Asked what the deal with the blue as it didn't match the truck at all. He said he bought the truck factory with nitrogen filled tires. He said it is pretty common. So I checked around. Seems there are a few tire places that will do the nitro for about 20$ a tire.
Question is.. nitro doesn't expand or contract right? Is stable at any temp if I remember from grade school but isn't it very flamable? What happens during a blow out?

And will nitro take all the o2 from inside a closed space?

Just curious is all.. Is it worth the money and has anyone here done it?

Joe

RAZOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #2

I actually use nitrogen-filled tires. They're really good! I even have a special 'nitrogen compressor', fills anything with a nitrogen gas mixture. This mixture is good for so many uses...cooling hot things (believe it or not Porsche used to use it directly on their engines, before they switched to dihydrogen monoxide)...running ratchets and dental drills...there are even animals out there that like to breath a nitrogen-rich mixture... If someone's offering to fill your tires with for only $20, it sounds like a real steal

Hmm, perhaps I'm being a little presumptious tho...maybe someone else can provide an opinion?

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 12-31-2006 at 06:31 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #3

Hi,

Nitrogen-filled Tires is mostly Hype unless you track the Car. Nitrogen has been used for years in Racing, Aviation, and Museums because it is not flammable, cannot carry moisture as much and has a smaller Temperature swing than air.

We had Nitro filled tires on my F-4 PhantomII to reduce the threat of Fire when trapping aboard the Carrier. With Air, you can compress it enough for it to spontaneously ignite.

If one were to miss the trap, the pressure spike in the tires (created when you slammed into the flight deck) could cause them to ignite. If you boltered and had to go around again, you'd be doing so with burning tires, something we in Naval Aviation referred to as Very Bad.

It won't hurt to use nitrogen on street car tires, but the benefits generally don't equate to the cost and inconvenience. If you store your car for a season, nitrogen can be a good thing to use because it helps impede the growth of Dry Rot...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
bmussatti

I am running nitrogen too! It was $20 total for all 4 tires.

The tire store will:

1) Drain the current air
2) Fill with nitrogen
3) Drain again
4) Re-fill again with nitrogen
Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
...something we in Naval Aviation referred to as Very Bad...

That was the funniest thing I've read in a long while. LMAO.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #6

I'm going to buy some green caps and put them on so people will think I have nitrogen.....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
and ladies dig nitrogen filled tires too, so u may score some points there too
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
and ladies dig nitrogen filled tires too, so u may score some points there too

Well Hell.. If the chicks dig it then I am in. :dance:

The price given over the phone was $20 a tire if I heard correctly.

Thanks for the info...
RAZOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
I actually use nitrogen-filled tires. They're really good! I even have a special 'nitrogen compressor', fills anything with a nitrogen gas mixture. This mixture is good for so many uses...cooling hot things (believe it or not Porsche used to use it directly on their engines, before they switched to dihydrogen monoxide)...running ratchets and dental drills...there are even animals out there that like to breath a nitrogen-rich mixture... If someone's offering to fill your tires with for only $20, it sounds like a real steal

Hmm, perhaps I'm being a little presumptious tho...maybe someone else can provide an opinion?

-David
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZOR1
Well Hell.. If the chicks dig it then I am in. :dance:

The price given over the phone was $20 a tire if I heard correctly.

Thanks for the info...
Razor, the price should be $20 for the set of 4 tires.

Cassidy tire charges about $25 in the Chicago area. There is a $5 off coupon in the sports section of the Tribune monthly. Refills and adjustments are free. They only need to "raise" the car on the first visit to properly do the "flush".

FYI- Costco only fills with Nitrogen on new tires purchased there.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #11

I think Costco uses nitrogen as a matter of course. At least I don't remember them asking me if I wanted it on the last set of Michelins I bought there. Subsequently a Honda service rep told me they didn't check the tire pressures because they didn't have nitrogen anyway. Which left me saying wtf to myself since I had rebalanced tire pressures on the car any number of times using the compressor in my garage. Apparently mixing nitrogen and regular air doesn't cause them to explode or anything.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I think Costco uses nitrogen as a matter of course. At least I don't remember them asking me if I wanted it on the last set of Michelins I bought there. Subsequently a Honda service rep told me they didn't check the tire pressures because they didn't have nitrogen anyway. Which left me saying wtf to myself since I had rebalanced tire pressures on the car any number of times using the compressor in my garage. Apparently mixing nitrogen and regular air doesn't cause them to explode or anything.
Hi Ronzi, I think the Honda dealership was trying to do you a favor by NOT adding air to your nitrogen fill, and diluting the ratio. Now, if you don't care about the % of nitrogen, just let them know the next time. The green caps are their warning to not fill with regular air.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
...I think the Honda dealership was trying to do you a favor by NOT adding air to your nitrogen fill...
I'm sure you're right. I asked the Honda rep how the tires would have been filled with nitrogen, and he said I probably got the tires at Costco, etc. I wondered why they put on those green valve caps. Now I know. Thanks.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #14

When I see a vehicle with green valve caps I think Costco since Costco (at least the ones where I live) has been using nitrogen for years. My local dealer has also started using it. I consider it a gimmick on a street vehicle.

My 1988 Toyoya work truck needs new tires. Last set was put on by Costco, but that was years before they started using nitrogen. After the holidays I will have Costco put on another set on the truck.

Then I'm going to take the green caps off the truck and put them on the Boxster.

Then I'll let all the air out in the Costco parking lot and get free nitrogen in the Boxster.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #15

Geez, the reason I thought they filled with Nitrogen was that it was "dry" and therefore provided a more even pressure in relation to the temp. Essentially your tire pressure stays stable as the tires warm up as there is no water to vaporize and expand, thereby provide more predictable handling. As for mixing with air, dont we breath around 80% nitrogen anyways and I havent burst in to flames lately
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
take a lighter and place it behind ur rear when ure gasy, im sure ull see mad flames
make sure u wear green underwear after that
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #17

Nitrogen's advantage in racing is that it is muchg more predictable in how the pressure changes as the tire heats up. On the street it's a gimmick and is of no special value.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
Geez, the reason I thought they filled with Nitrogen was that it was "dry" and therefore provided a more even pressure in relation to the temp. Essentially your tire pressure stays stable as the tires warm up as there is no water to vaporize and expand, thereby provide more predictable handling. As for mixing with air, dont we breath around 80% nitrogen anyways and I havent burst in to flames lately
Hi,

Nitrogen (NČ in molecular form) is essentially (but not truly) inert and not easily reactive. It is non-flammable and referred to as a Dry Gas because it doesn't absorb moisture easily (though it does absorb some) as you point out. This means it expands less than a standard Air mixture, and is more consistent not varying with changes in Ambient Humidity.

But, another advantage is that Nitrogen molecules are essentially larger and therefore will diffuse more slowly from a porous material (such as a Tire) than Air would.

Normal Air is mainly Nitrogen and Oxygen (other gasses as well, but in insignificant amounts for this discussion). About 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. Since the Oxygen Molecule (OČ) is essentially smaller in diameter, it can leak easier and since it makes up basically 1 in 5 of the molecules in a given volume of Air, the tire can lose pressure more easily than if it were filled with Nitrogen alone...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #19

Quote:

"where did you get the compressor and what type is it?"

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

Ignore my post, I was just being ignorant and poking fun. In paintball there are two main mixtures of gas used for propellant, CO2 and "Nitrogen", which is really just another name for compressed air. I figured as little difference as could be expected from a mixture that is 100% nitrogen vs. 80% in air, someone offering you 'nitrogen' was just pulling your leg.

Thankfully the vastly more qualified populace of 986forum was more helpful than I..

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #20

Son, it is all about profits.

http://www.nitrogentiremachine.com/

http://www.nitrofillnow.com/

Do a google search for nitrogen tire profit.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-01-2007 at 09:52 PM.