986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Wheel Alignment? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8822-wheel-alignment.html)

Mr. Boone 12-30-2006 10:53 AM

Wheel Alignment?

Hellow and Happy Holidays to all.

I recently put a new set of Michelin Pilots on my 02 Boxster S.

Consequently I am looking for the best and most economical way to get the wheels aligned.

So far I have received a quote from my local dealer for (3) labor hours at $135.00 = $405.00

Any ideas on how to get this done correctly for less than this?

drburton 12-30-2006 11:04 AM

To be safe I went with the dealer option, I think it was $125. Not sure if they use special equipment or if any tire shop can do it.

Mr. Boone 12-30-2006 11:16 AM

Thanks fo the reply.

$125.00 total?? That seems much more reasonable. I'm in the Los Angeles area and have no problem with having the dealer perform the work provided I don't get ripped off in the process. All comments are welcome.

Paul 12-30-2006 02:51 PM

Contact your local PCA region, they usually can recommend several independent race shops that will do it right and for less money.

www.pca.org

drburton 12-30-2006 05:26 PM

Yes, my dealer did it for $125 total.

MNBoxster 12-30-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Contact your local PCA region, they usually can recommend several independent race shops that will do it right and for less money.

www.pca.org

Hi,

+1 on using a competent Race Shop. This is their Bread & Butter and they're much better equipped to do a better job than a Dealer or Tire Store.

Be sure to have the Tires individually Road Balanced on a Hunter 97XX Machine and keep the printout. Then have them do the suspension alignment.

Be sure to have the Fuel Tank Full and all other non-essential stuff out of the car so the alignment is spot on. Expect to pay at least $100-$150 for a proper 4-wheel alignment. It's a good adjunct to the very expensive new tires you've invested in...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Paul 12-30-2006 07:10 PM

Happy New Year Jim, we finally agree 100% on something!!

MNBoxster 12-30-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Happy New Year Jim, we finally agree 100% on something!!

Hi,

It was bound to happen sooner or later ;) Happy New Year to you too...!!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Sboxin 12-31-2006 06:18 AM

We just did one in Phoenix at indi shop--
127.50 for front and 127.50 for rear + tax ~270
Sometimes they check the rear and if it doesn't need an adjustment
they will only charge for the front alignment
Also, a lot of the success is due to the person doing the work,
not always the "machine" they use. (that's a story for another day)

good luck,
Ed :cheers:

Mr. Boone 12-31-2006 09:27 AM

Thanks again to all. I have been wanting to join PCA for a long time anyway. I think I will see who they can recommend in the Los Angeles area. Once again this forum has proven to be a great source for infomation about the Boxster! My best to all of you for the New Year.

Mr. Boone 12-31-2006 10:35 AM

Thinking about taking it to Hergescheimer, an independent in somewhat nearby Lake Forrest CA...... anyone have experiance with them?

Also, I just applied for a 3 year membership to PCA! Looks like there will be a lot of fun to be had there.

kt1 12-31-2006 03:44 PM

West End Alignment. He does corner balancing and regular alignments, works heavily with modified and/or sensitive vehicles. Very well reputable shop and guy...a lot of vehicles that go AutoX go to him for proper balancing and alignment. Located in Gardena, somewhat of a drive for you depending on where in LA you reside.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/november01/westend.php

bagwell 12-31-2006 06:53 PM

a local shop I use said the price of an alignment depends on how far out of alignment the car is!!!???? I said no thanks.

Paul 01-01-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
Thinking about taking it to Hergescheimer, an independent in somewhat nearby Lake Forrest CA...... anyone have experiance with them?

Also, I just applied for a 3 year membership to PCA! Looks like there will be a lot of fun to be had there.

Join us for the Parade in San Diego!!!

Porsche Parade

Mr. Boone 01-28-2007 05:44 PM

The parade sounds great! I'll see what I can do. Looks like I will have the car at Hergescheimer in early February. I'll post how the experience goes. Looks positive.