Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #1

Is it bad?

Hello all. I'm planning on washing my car and in order to do that, I would have to move my car out of the garage which it would have been in for about 2 days. My question is, since I would be moving it for only about a few feet which equals about a minute or 2, would it be bad for the engine to be running for only this much time? Should I let it run for a longer period of time before turning the engine off? I really don't want to get the engine too warm since I'm gonna be washing her. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Hmmmmm . . . . . .
  • You have a Boxster
  • You live in LA
  • It's Friday
  • It is Sunny with a high of 67 degrees
My question is how can you get in your car and not drive it longer than 2 minutes?

Of course it will not hurt the car to move it or only start it up for a few minutes, during the break in period they say not to make a lot of short trips, but your's is a 2001. And as long as you are not washing the engine it will not matter if it is warm when you wash it.

Myself I would drive the Angeles Crest over to Palmdale and back then wash the car
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Hmmmmm . . . . . .
  • You have a Boxster
  • You live in LA
  • It's Friday
  • It is Sunny with a high of 67 degrees
My question is how can you get in your car and not drive it longer than 2 minutes?

Of course it will not hurt the car to move it or only start it up for a few minutes, during the break in period they say not to make a lot of short trips, but your's is a 2001. And as long as you are not washing the engine it will not matter if it is warm when you wash it.

Myself I would drive the Angeles Crest over to Palmdale and back then wash the car
Thanks Travis! Actually, I'm washing her tomorrow. I also believe weather in LA today will be nice, sunny and 70 degrees out.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

Interesting. Believe it or not, my Porsche mechanic actually mentioned this when I took it in to have the MAF replaced. His first question was whether or not I frequently started it to move it out of the garage and then immediately killed the engine (I don't). I can't quite remember the particulars about what problems this might cause, but essentially he didn't recommend it and it seemed to be related to the MAF. Perhaps Jim could expound or refute, but none-the-less, I was told "That's a no-no".....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
well maybe it would be safer to start the car, back out of the garage and let it idle for 1 minute in a half so the crank can float and the oil will circulate, then shut it off... That way there is no dry and shakey engine stall when you kill the ignition.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #6

A motor always prefers to be warmed to operating temperature before heavy use or being turned off. That said, will it "hurt" the car to move and shut it off, not likely. Would I move it 10 feet per day every day for years in that manor? no.

Heck, if it was 70 degrees here I the only time I would turn the car off is for refueling!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If you're worried just push it in and out of the garage!!!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If you're worried just push it in and out of the garage!!!
And leave hand and fingerprint marks after washing her?! Forget it man! :troll:
Old 12-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
bmussatti

During the summer, this happens to me a couple times per month, when I am only moving the car from the garage for washing and detailing. Sometimes, I move the car around 2-3 times per day, waiting for wax to dry, taking a break, or moving onto another weekend project.

I don't worry about it too much, because when I do drive the car, I am gone for several hours and hundreds of miles.