Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2026, 02:22 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Vermont
Posts: 28
2004 Boxster instrument panel lights?

The light behind the speedo display is dim in my 2004 Boxster SE, so I will pull the instrument cluster to change what may be a non-functional bulb. While I am in there I should replace all the other easily replaced bulbs. Here is my shopping list. Am I wrong about any of these? ...

12v 3w: 999-631-304-90 / analog gauges (4 needed)
12v 1.5w: 999-631-303-90 / digital display (3 needed)
12v 1.2w: 999-631-302-90 / idiot lights (unknown if these can even be replaced)

As you can see, I need to know how many 1.2W bulbs I'm going to need for the idiot lights. Or let me know that these cannot be easily replaced and I will be content to leave them alone since they all seem to be working just fine.

N227RV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2026, 04:57 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Finland
Posts: 28
I think the 9x6.2 instument clusters are backlit with leds instead of bulbs.
I can't find any pictures but maybe the displays are backlit with multiple leds and one of them isn't working?
Makrilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2026, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Western Europe
Posts: 336
997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2026, 09:34 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 17
I pulled the dash on my 2003 base apart to replace the lights, only to find there are no bulbs. The fix requires changing the headlight switch instead, which was much easier than taking the instrument cluster section of the dash apart.
CenCal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2026, 01:58 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Vermont
Posts: 28
I haven't removed the instrument panel yet, but thinking about it ... the problem may not be a bulb. What I have is a situation where the lighted panel in the center, which displays various sorts of information under the tachometer, is dim when I am driving with the lights off. It is definitely more dim than the other panels to the left and right. It comes to full brightness when I turn the lights on. I assumed that was backlit by a conventional bulb, but maybe it is a LCD panel instead?
N227RV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2026, 02:15 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Western Europe
Posts: 336
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1N9TdLCFGo

997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page