986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Story time,care to share? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8782-story-time-care-share.html)

blinkwatt 12-28-2006 03:18 PM

Story time,care to share?

Let's take a moment and share with everyone else a funny story that has to do with their Boxster. Could be anything,comments,looks or faces people make at you. I will start.

Earlier today I was on my way home and pasted by this school's playground area. As I pull up next to the STOP sign in front of the playground about 10 kids stop and look at me. You would have thought I was Spongebob the way they were looking at me. I stopped and looked to the opposite side of the playground to see if the kids were looking at something across the street,nope nothing there. So I look back at the kids and wave as to say "hello" and about five of the kids wave back and one yells, "Nice car mister!". :cheers:

Jeph 12-28-2006 03:30 PM

Here's a quick one... my brother taught -rather trained my nephew to ask me "How come you didin't get a 911?" everytime I pull up in my Boxster. Real cute coming from a 5 year old.

Another one: While walking to my car after work there were a couple of high school kids checking out my car. As I was walking up to it, one of them commented on how they liked it and said something to the effect of "What do these run, 'bout a hundred grand or something?" He was a little off. I couldn't help but laugh.

djomlas 12-28-2006 04:06 PM

i told my dads friends wife that i have no motor, she wouldnt believe me and asked me to open uip the hood(s), she was amazed. i ended up telling her it only runs on a battery and showed her the battery up front. to this day she believes that a boxster runs only on a battery :)

jeffsquire 12-28-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
i told my dads friends wife that i have no motor, she wouldnt believe me and asked me to open uip the hood(s), she was amazed. i ended up telling her it only runs on a battery and showed her the battery up front. to this day she believes that a boxster runs only on a battery :)

drburton 12-28-2006 04:53 PM

I had a couple high school kids ringing my doorbell this summer and figured they were probably selling magazines or something so I wasn't planning on going to the door, but randomly did. They asked if they could take pictures of each other by my Boxster. I thought that was funny, nice of them to ask.

C5150 12-28-2006 04:56 PM

DJ - that is just too funny. I can't beat that...

RandallNeighbour 12-28-2006 07:39 PM

My 50 year old friend's dad, who must be in his 70's, got up after dinner one night, went out to the boxster, came in and said, "Am I going blind, or does your Porsche really redline at 6500 rpm?" Evidently, he thought that was really, really high. He's an old school American car guy for sure.

Then, just last night, someone at a dinner party said, "Is it really true your oil changes cost something like $150?" After I explained that it's really about the same amount as he pays on his SUV, but I do them every third time he does his at $40 a pop, I told him about wearing out $200+ tires in 7500 miles. Everyone in the room freaked.

MNBoxster 12-28-2006 08:54 PM

Hi,

I got my '99 in April of '05. On a sunny Sunday a few weeks later in the middle of May, I dropped by my parents house to show my Dad (who had no idea I was going to buy it).

My Dad, 82, who had owned a couple Porsches back in the day ('54 Pre-'A' and a '63 'C'), was amazed, and thoroughly impressed, at how refined the car was compared to the 356's he'd owned.

We drove around the Mpls. Lakes and I pulled over and told him to drive. He beamed a look at me like that of a kid who just realized that everything on his Xmas Wish List was waiting for him under the tree. He drove for more than an hour that day before I brought him back to his house. My mother later told me how much Dad had talked repeatedly about that drive, and how amazing the car was.

Dad died somewhat suddenly and unexpectedly less than 5 weeks later. That drive was really the last quality time I ever had with him. The car will always be special to me for that reason...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Adam 12-28-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

LOL, that reminds me of going to local car shows here down in the sticks. When I have both decklids raised they walk around the car a few times wondering where the enigine is. I tell them it is gerble powered. ;)

ohioboxster 12-28-2006 09:04 PM

Ok heres mine, I was in training one day and for lunch I ran to Taco Bell in the Boxster. Now this Taco Bell is placed right in front of a popular set of projects in the beautiful city of Akron. I was walking to my car and keep this in mind. I was wearing all black BDU'S with a side arm strapped to my side and this guy who was WALKING with two really nasty girls says to them and I quote "Only Pussi*$'s drive those cars." Now you need to just imagine a scrawny white guy with no teeth and really dirty saying this as he was walking by. I didn't pay him any attention, people like that dont even deserve my attention.

Jump 12-29-2006 04:28 AM

Neat story Jim. Thanks for sharing.

z12358 12-29-2006 04:30 AM

The Box was just a couple of months old on a perfect sunny weekend early this summer. We were hanging out with our friends at their house. My fiance (driving) and the wife took the Box to pick up some wine for dinner. They had just pulled out onto the road (top down) as my friend and I were standing at the end of the driveway watching. About 100 yards down the road a pick-up truck comes from the other direction and as he passed the girls in the freshly waxed black Box, he leans out the window, honks a few times, and yells "woooohooooo!!". My friend then tells me that the guy's their friend and that the guy also knows his wife but must have not recognized her in the Box (perhaps not expecting her there with another girl). As the truck passes by us, the guy says hi to us and gets redder in his face as he realized what he did. I was trying not to crack myself up, and we both exploded laughing later.

djomlas 12-29-2006 09:46 AM

hey Jim, thats a very touching story.
if i were an old guy and had a chance to spend my last days on earth, i would do it with my son cruising in his new porsche, hands down

z12358 12-29-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

hey Jim, thats a very touching story.
if i were an old guy and had a chance to spend my last days on earth, i would do it with my son cruising in his new porsche, hands down

Very nicely said.
Z.

cartagena 12-29-2006 07:22 PM

Where I am there are almost no sports cars, and only one Boxster. So almost all little kids look at it. Every car load of them are stuck to the windows.

One day I am stopped on a street that is congested with people walking around. A little kid walks up to the passenger side and says "I know this car. I saw it in the theatre. I want to hear it talk". My assistant in the passenger side said it does not talk but he insisted he knew it talked. His mother then dragged him away before I needed to tell him to get his fingers off the side of the car.

One time I was in McDonald's during lunch hour where no less than 20 kids in the 13-16 age range saw me drive up. I knew they were talking about me but they were trying to be polite and not bother me. As soon as I went to the washroom one walked up to my assistant and asked if they could photograph the car with the top down. She told them to wait until I leave as I might put it down. When I walked out they all went to the window to see what I would do. Being in a more friendly than normal mood I put the top down, and then told my assistant they could photograph it. They all came running outside of McDs and took as many photos as they could fit on their cell phones.

Another time I was inside a store and an SUV drove up out front. About 8 teenagers jumped out and started photographing themselves in front of it. When I walked out they saw me, and all ran as fast as they could back to the SUV and took off spinning the tires.

Stuff like this happens almost every day. It is fun at times but I also do not like myself being photographed driving it. Yet people snap photos of me all the time as I drive by. I just do not want a bunch of photos of myself driving around to get circulated on the net.