986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   "CD Shelf Center Console" = WORTHLESS (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8752-cd-shelf-center-console-%3D-worthless.html)

MrBoxster 12-26-2006 10:35 AM

"CD Shelf Center Console" = WORTHLESS

What is with this CD holder anyway??? It holds 4 CD's for crying out loud!!!

The space could have been used for something cool...like a half-way descent cup holder or a fold-out third seat (ok, maybe not a seat)?!?!?!

I want to remove it and put up a blank space (flat black). Is this something I could do myself? Or is there a solution I could do to get this $45 option, I was forced to get, out of my car???? I am trying to mount a DELPHI SKYFI XM Receiver but have limited space.

Perfectlap 12-26-2006 10:43 AM

I don't have that. I have the equalizer thing below the cd player. And I barely use the cd player. I run my Sirius tuner 90% of the time or plug in the MP3.
I went to Best Buy the other day and noticed they had only one cd changer for sale. Porsche audio needs to catch up to BMW and others.

docdyh 12-26-2006 11:45 AM

Porsche offers a factory Cup holder Tray or cubby space that fits this space. You can often find them on ebay as well.

bagwell 12-27-2006 07:00 AM

I ordered one of these...my cd storage thing squeeks like crazy :mad:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...e20shelves.jpg

fishage 01-02-2007 12:36 PM

"The space could have been used for something cool...like a half-way descent cup holder"

Obviously you haven't seen the cup holder...

I have both, and let me tell you, the cd holder is 1000 times more useful than the factory cup holder that can't hold any normal size coffee mug and will throw a water bottle at your back window if you try to use it while moving. I ended up buying the cup holder insert that sits in the arm rest console (for way too much money considering what it is).

I'd like to rip the cd holder and the cup holder both out and mount a touchscreen for a car pc or something.

racer_d 01-02-2007 12:48 PM

I've been thinking of removing my lower center console for more leg room AND the GT3 look it inspires. Cup holders? CD Holders? Who uses that crap ;)

Perfectlap 01-02-2007 01:01 PM

cup holders are illegal in Germany. Going slow in the passing lane is also illegal as is weaving between lanes.

cup holders are a purely American affliction.

fishage 01-02-2007 01:37 PM

Pretty decent cupholders came standard in all the cars I've driven in Germany.

And although people were truely more courteous to pull to the right to let people pass... good luck finding a cop anywhere pulling someone over for not doing it on the A5.

--

Drinking a beverage while driving is not the same as having a place to transport one.

My morning routine includes filling up a travel mug with my home brew, driving to work, and enjoying my much-better-than-the-free-sludge coffee at my desk.

Sealed travel mug. No chance of spilling. No hands touching it while I'm driving. No decent place to store it from the factory.

Poor design choices made for certain elements of the car's storage are not a statement of superiority. They are quite simply poorly designed and or cost saving choices made during development of an otherwise great vehicle. Happens all the time in product design and engineering.

djomlas 01-02-2007 01:57 PM

my friend has a boxster and a supra, neither one has cupholders. hilarious

but yes its an american thing, and i really dont care much for cupholders anyways, if you drive your porsche the way you should a cupholder will not hold any kinda drink in there :dance:

FrayAdjacent 01-02-2007 02:06 PM

My car has that useless thing. I'd rather have a cubby hole there. Mine also has the climate control in the bottom most slot... It's a PITA to adjust stuff with the shifter in the way... so I think I'll move that up a slot and get the cubby/pocket unit to put in the bottom.

RandallNeighbour 01-02-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoxster
What is with this CD holder anyway??? It holds 4 CD's for crying out loud!!!

If you had my Alpine MP3-enabled CD head unit, you could hold no less than 32 CD's within those four spaces. I squeeze 8 albums in MP3 format (recorded at 190 no less) on each CD-R.

If I didn't need both my cubbies so much, I'd have bought a CD holder from someone on this forum that has the factory CDR220 head unit and finds it a waste of space.

Travis 01-02-2007 04:52 PM

I agree on the worthless CD shelf, I mean mine came with the 6-CD changer in the front and you can not insert a CD into the head unit... So you put 4 CD's into the holder and when you want to switch CD's you pull over and pop the trunk :rolleyes:

Now that is true German engineering ;) (or prior owner's worthless options)

KevinH1990 01-02-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
my friend has a boxster and a supra, neither one has cupholders. hilarious

but yes its an american thing, and i really dont care much for cupholders anyways, if you drive your porsche the way you should a cupholder will not hold any kinda drink in there :dance:

I always thought Porsche just didn't want people snacking in their cars - it's an image thing. It shows a lack of discipline and order. Germans like order.

Compare that to the typical American in his or her minivan. I've gone out to lunch with co-workers whose cars look like they live in them. The seats and floors are littered with food wrappers, cups, CD jewel cases and children's toys.

When I get into my Porsche, there's nothing to distract me from driving enjoyment. I think that is how Ferry Porsche wanted it to be. :)

The CD holder was intended to keep the interior tidy. The fact that technology has passed it by doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

jteixidor 01-03-2007 07:54 AM

CD tray

I have the space and am actually looking for a cd tray, I like the "filled in " look rather than the compartment. If anyone ones to switch or sell their CD case let me know

Joshua
01 Triple Black

boggtown 01-03-2007 09:39 AM

I have a cupholder in my car... its called my girlfriend, lol. My only complaint is that there is no glove box.

bnorman 01-03-2007 10:38 AM

My 2002 came with a cassette tape (4) storage unit? (Must have been an upgrade from an 8 track.) I replaced it with an open storage cubby from Suncoast for $29.95 plsu shipping.

MrBoxster 01-03-2007 11:11 AM

One of my complaints about this design is that I did not have a place to mount my XM reciever...that is before i mounted the reciever right on top of those holders. Now before anyone is quick to judge take note of this:

(a) I dont care what the Germans had in mind for their design. I bought this car in America (i.e. the steering wheel is on the opposite side). If Germans dont want Americans driving their car, then they can stop selling it in America.

(b) A big part of my driving experience is music. Nothing gets me more fired up at 5:45 am than listening to ACDC with the top down (okay that is a bit extreme, and fabricated :cool: )

But I know the idea of some XM receiver unit on top of a factory CD shelf sounds appauling. But honestly, you cant tell it is there. You can check a previous thread and look where dcallas mounted his reciever.

XM thread

The place I mounter my reciever is working out great. It is low profile and you cannot tell what is behind it. Plus, when I sell the car, I can just take the velcro adhisive off and hopefully it will still work and look like new!

MrBoxster 01-03-2007 12:14 PM

Here Is What My Xm Reciever Looks Like

AUDIOGUY 01-03-2007 02:56 PM

I have the cup holders above the head unit in mine and I actually use them quite a bit to hold my cell phone! Also, I would much rather have the cubby hole instead of that bogus cd holder... at least, I could store my cd wallet there in stead of next to the passenger seat adjuster.

By the way, what is the best way to install an Ipod with the 220 head unit...
Is there an Aux rca jack in the back... I dont have the CD changer?

NickCats 01-03-2007 05:49 PM

Audio,

If you have the CDR-220 call Becker for the Aux Input :

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/99_01_carrera_cdr220_cd_4462.html

Then all you need is the cable for the Ipod :

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1731

Hope this helps...

Nick