986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Front and rear bumper swaps on Boxster S and Cayman S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8732-front-rear-bumper-swaps-boxster-s-cayman-s.html)

kidplatinum 12-24-2006 09:14 AM

Front and rear bumper swaps on Boxster S and Cayman S

Hello All,

I am not a Porsche owner but will be soon, but before I decide I need some assitance on exterior styling

I was curious if the Boxster and the Cayman share the same platform. If so can I change out the front and/or rear bumper? I really like the Tech Art GT Sport bumper on the Cayman and Tech Art does not offer the Boxster that style bumper except for widebody kit. Does anyone know if the Cayman S GT Sport front bumper will match up to the Boxster, or does anyone know if Tech Art plans on producing a non widebody GT Sport front bumper.

Thanks in advance for the assistance
Mike

djomlas 12-24-2006 11:57 AM

modifying the car without even owning it?
get it and enjoy it man

boggtown 12-24-2006 03:14 PM

At least your looking to make your dream car. Ive seen a 987 with a cayman from bumper on. I dont know about the rear though.

kidplatinum 12-25-2006 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input boggtown. It looks as if the Boxster and Cayman swaps would work with no issues, but I wanted to make sure first so I know what mods I will purchase.

I completely understand your approach djmolas, but the whole reason I want the car is to mod it. My 330i ZHP currently is my toy car...plenty of mods and no miles.....plan to do the same with a Boxster S. My vision is Tech Art GT Sport front bumper from the Tech Art Cayman S tuning program, Boxster Tech Art side skirts, and the Sport tec rear (looks like the new GT3 OEM rear bumper, that bumpber also would look nice on the Tech Art GT Sport Cayman S), and to finish off the look I will be ordering the 911 turbo wheels when the car is purchased!

So if anyone knows if the platforms are the same and interchangable please let me know. I have some very tasteful mods planned for the Boxster S and I have learned it is easier to do cosmetic stuff right from the start....my 2 cents....and no one steal my idea....LOL.

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike

djomlas 12-25-2006 01:19 PM

IMO i still call that a boxster coupe so its still a boxster in my opinion, just a diff roof and few other things here and there engine wise to promote sales, but other than that same car

kenkamm 12-25-2006 04:29 PM

A thought: Techart would list the piece as fitment for both cars if it did indeed fit both, no? If not, they might be losing sales.