986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tell me what's going on here. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8669-tell-me-whats-going-here.html)

jeffsquire 12-18-2006 04:25 PM

Tell me what's going on here.

THese are pictures of my front and rear tires/rims.
The front rims have rusted lugnuts. PIctures 5 and 8
The rear rims don't. pictures 6 and 7.
The front rim lugnuts appear to "jut" out, or are more exposed.
The rear rim lugnuts are recessed and not as rusted. (compare 7 and 8 from an angle).

I suspect I have spacers but I don't know.

Can anyone tell me:
1. Do I indeed have spacers in the front rims? If so what length.
2. What length are my front and rear lugnuts?
3. WHEre can I buy new lugnuts, OR how can I repaint/restore them.

eslai 12-18-2006 04:34 PM

Looks like you've just got rusty nuts. Buy a new set from the dealership or online someplace. Depending on wheel offset, your front wheel's nuts will probably jut out more than the rear wheel's so I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Can't really tell from your pictures but it doesn't look like you've got spacers. Feel behind the wheel and see if it's touching the hub or if it's sitting on something sandwiched between. That would be the spacer, if you have one.

Oh, your other option might be naval jelly, a wire brush, some elbow grease and a coat of silver paint.

Grizzly 12-18-2006 04:41 PM

All the Porsche lug nuts do this. I replaced mine, but they're not cheap. They were like $120.00 for the set and they're just going to rust again. You can do what ESLAI said and clean them up, re-paint and re-install. Or, you could replace them with chrome ones that are always for sale on ebay. Whatever you do, be sure to torque the wheels correctly or you'll warp the rotors.

wvicary 12-18-2006 04:58 PM

Just a question..... what do you use to clean the wheels? Is it anything corrosive? The reason I ask is even your brake caliper seems to be discoloured more then usual.

RandallNeighbour 12-18-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eslai
Looks like you've just got rusty nuts.

What a diagnosis! Lack of use or just in dire need of some penicillin? :D

jeffsquire 12-18-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What a diagnosis! Lack of use or just in dire need of some penicillin? :D

ohioboxster 12-18-2006 06:06 PM

Yeah, you have rusty nuts and I have a bent shaft.

djomlas 12-18-2006 06:20 PM

mine were rusted as well. i just bought new ones since my locking key was broken.
15 bux off ebay and heres the diff
http://i10.tinypic.com/3yfe7o6.jpg

RandallNeighbour 12-18-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

Here's the deal. I already know what I'm getting from Santa for Christmas (and even taken the side skirts and boxster humps out of the box and tried them on the car) so there's really no reason to be good any more until well after Christmas day.

And there you have it.

Adam 12-18-2006 08:51 PM

My nuts aren't rusty at all. What are you guys doing wrong? Maybe it's because I always drive my car after a wash.
We can't see any rust :)

Allen K. Littlefield 12-19-2006 06:03 AM

Why Nuts around?

At the risk of being boring, here again is a pic with the chorme nuts/bolts actually. Is there really a choice? For track events either switch back to stock or take your torque wrench and soft socket with you. Party on!

986geezer

djomlas 12-19-2006 06:24 AM

chrome lugnuts with nothing else chrome on a car looks outta place, but then again i was really never fan of chrome anything, but it does look better than the rusted ones

Allen K. Littlefield 12-19-2006 11:32 AM

All chrome wheels put me off but five little jewel like bolt heads do not and I think they add a finished look to the wheels. Opinions, you know what they say about them, are the reason we have custom cars. Party on!

986geezer :cheers:

jeffsquire 12-19-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly
All the Porsche lug nuts do this. I replaced mine, but they're not cheap. They were like $120.00 for the set and they're just going to rust again. You can do what ESLAI said and clean them up, re-paint and re-install. Or, you could replace them with chrome ones that are always for sale on ebay. Whatever you do, be sure to torque the wheels correctly or you'll warp the rotors.

Thanks Grizz and eslai: Do you have any products in mind to clean my "lugnuts" and paint them?

FYI once I get driving again the rust on the rotors disappears. Based on my observations rust appears in a matter of minutes depending on conditoins