986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone have option XMK? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8663-anyone-have-option-xmk.html)

John Y 12-18-2006 12:37 PM

Anyone have option XMK?

Hi guys,

I'm referring to the rear-center console painted in exterior body color; I think that's the right code. I didn't like it at first, but it is growing on me - I think it's attractive in a dark color on a sand beige interior, and a unique piece of trim that breaks up the palstic monotony a little. All in all, a nice way to personalize a car I hope to have for a long time.

MY question is for those who have it - how is it manufactured - that is, do they do anything to it to help it hold up - does it scratch easily, etc.
What's your experience with that?

Thanks.

bmussatti 12-18-2006 12:41 PM

John, you can also get this done aftermarket by www.bumperplugs.com. They are offering a year-end sale on this now.

bmussatti 12-18-2006 12:46 PM

FYI:

The option Code for Painted Rear Center Console is XME ($730).

You listed the Code for Painted Roll Bars (XMK).

:)

SD987 12-18-2006 02:12 PM

As you can see, mine is white but doesn't really get too dirty considering the amount of dirt that settles into a convertible driven top down alot. I also like the fitment of the ashtray lid which is superior to that of the standard vinyl interior center-console.

I didn't rejex it with the rest of the car and only give it the occasional wipe down with an instant-detailer moistened microfiber cloth made in korea instead of china with the scratchy tag removed. Not that I'm particular about that sort of thing. :)

I've actually found the painted rollbars to be more of a maintenance hassle.

MNBoxster 12-18-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
...I've actually found the painted rollbars to be more of a maintenance hassle...

Hi,

Really? Why do you say that?? I have them and just a quick coat of Zaino and they're maintenance free the rest of the season...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

SD987 12-18-2006 03:04 PM

I was speaking on a relative basis and primarily it's just a question of access. The rollbars are easy to wipe down at the hoops but I find the base and fixture points have some nooks and crannies that tend to accumulate a good deal of grime, exponentially more than the center console.

John Y 12-22-2006 11:39 AM

Thanks for the input, guys; looks like the aftermarket version may be a useful way to go later on. January 9th production date is getting very close now...

djomlas 12-22-2006 12:23 PM

well the grime will still be there if you keep everytihng the same...not like grime only gets on painted parts. its just that you wont see it as much, but its still there