Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #1

car cover

I'm now parking in a lot without shade. Which cover is best for '98? I need one I can easily store in the trunk and use most days. So easy on and off. It is garaged @ home. The Oklahoma sun and 100 degree days are brutal.

Do the interior covers work?

sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #2

Car cover

I just recently purchased a Coverking Stormproof from AJ-USA (lots of folks sell them - no discounting that I could find). Fantastic custom fit - covers all the way down over the weels and no extra material anywhere. Lightweight microfiber material - grommets for a lock & cable are nicely padded if you need that.
MitchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #3

What size is it when folded? Does it come with a stuff bag? Does it fit in the trunk?
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:45 AM   #4

Folds very small as the microfiber material is very thin and lightweight - so it fits easily in the bottom of the front boot - overall about the size of small briefcase when folded up. Does not come with a carry bag but I believe they sell one.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #5

just to be the descenting opinion I really don't recommend the use of car covers unless you have just washed your car. And really only then. Particularly if you have a darker colored car. Dry rubbing of your car's paint is not good.

Use a softtop cover instead (Ebay search "boxster cover") to protect the top and interior from the sun. Use UV protectants on the trim and plastic (303, Poorboys trim dressing or 1Z rubber and vinyl from openroadmotoring.com).

Use a good sealant Like Poorboys EXP, Klasse, Zaino and you will protect the paint fine.

The car cover will do more damage then good if its ever used when the car is not 100% clean.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #6

Actually I'm with you too - cover ONLY goes on right after a wash - bought it mainly for the long winter's nap
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #7

MitchB:
"...- bought it mainly for the long winter's nap"

Mitch was that an outdoors cover (Stormproof?), or indoors? I may also be interested in an indoors cover for winter storage. The lighter, the better -- mainly to protest against dust. I recall Porsche was offering both indoors and outdoors covers. Was this one better (cheaper?) in any way?

Thx,
Z.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #8

I have the Porsche outdoor cover and love it. It breathes well and is water proof. Although I with the other comments - that you only put it on a clean car.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #9

Car Cover Question...

Just bought the outdoor cover for my 2002 (part #98704400002). Haven't put it on yet as my car is dirty, but will likely put it on tonight. I noticed it's got a suction cup on the inside - can anybody tell me where it's supposed to stick? I'm assuming it's designed to let you stick the zipped-up cover to your hood in just the right spot, making the covering process easy (i.e., unzip, pull around, and tighten). Any help here?

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
MitchB:
"...- bought it mainly for the long winter's nap"

Mitch was that an outdoors cover (Stormproof?), or indoors? I may also be interested in an indoors cover for winter storage. The lighter, the better -- mainly to protest against dust. I recall Porsche was offering both indoors and outdoors covers. Was this one better (cheaper?) in any way?

Thx,
Z.
The stormproof is an outdoor cover that can be used inside just like any other cover. Overkill for indoor storage really and lacks the softness of a indoor cover. If you are looking for a cover that has a soft lining for storage and dust protection go with a flannel lined or the satin snugfit.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The stormproof is an outdoor cover that can be used inside just like any other cover. Overkill for indoor storage really and lacks the softness of a indoor cover. If you are looking for a cover that has a soft lining for storage and dust protection go with a flannel lined or the satin snugfit.
Thx Adam. Went with the OEM Porsche indoor (soft) cover and it's great.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #12

I have a Noah cover that came with my purchase. It fits great but I only use it indoors. Since my car never gets dirty (garage queen), It is to prevent my lovely children from scratching the car. Not that I love the car more than my children, it just is an insurance policy to prevent a discussion about the car.

Anyway, I like the Noah and it fits like a glove.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1009A0A0A1794480.aspx

Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote