986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My 02 sensor story (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8639-my-02-sensor-story.html)

ohioboxster 12-16-2006 06:53 AM

My 02 sensor story

Well, one month wait and one hour later I finished installing my factory Porsche 02 sensors. You will notice no check engine light and its throwing no codes! I had universal 02's installed and the car was throwing codes that they were all bad. Im extremely happy right now!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...enws6/dash.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...enws6/pass.jpg

djomlas 12-16-2006 09:41 AM

nice :cheers:
im stuck w the retarted airbag light

ohioboxster 12-16-2006 11:23 AM

Hey Randall knows how to fix the air bag light. I think he says it has something to do with the seat belts.

MNBoxster 12-16-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Well, one month wait and one hour later I finished installing my factory Porsche 02 sensors. You will notice no check engine light and its throwing no codes! I had universal 02's installed and the car was throwing codes that they were all bad. Im extremely happy right now!

Hi,

You can use the Universals if you are sure to make the proper connections. The Universals (as the OEMs) get their Reference Air samples through the wire's Teflon insulation. If you use Crimp type conectors, you can seal off this source of Reference Air and the system will throw a code...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

blinkwatt 12-16-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You can use the Universals if you are sure to make the proper connections. The Universals (as the OEMs) get their Reference Air samples through the wire's Teflon insulation. If you use Crimp type conectors, you can seal off this source of Reference Air and the system will throw a code...

How would you properly connect the wires?

MNBoxster 12-16-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How would you properly connect the wires?

Hi,

If using Universals, I would eliminate the connector altogether and simply splice the two wires together using some Hi-Temp Shrink Wrap or Tape. This will allow the air to enter the wire sheathing and be used by the sensor. You could also carefully make a few pin holes in the sheathing. Just so long as you don't cutoff the Reference Air supply to the sensor...

ohioboxster 12-16-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

If using Universals, I would eliminate the connector altogether and simply splice the two wires together using some Hi-Temp Shrink Wrap or Tape. This will allow the air to enter the wire sheathing and be used by the sensor. You could also carefully make a few pin holes in the sheathing. Just so long as you don't cutoff the Reference Air supply to the sensor...

I did just that and its weird the car ran great but the computer hated them. The universals looked different too even though they are the same ones everyone else used. All I know is I have no codes and Im so happy there are no idiot lights on the dash.

RandallNeighbour 12-16-2006 02:07 PM

DJ, the airbag light is usually lit because a seat was removed without disconnecting the battery or one of your receptacles has crapped out on you, which is typical... they always go out. Get a couple of new ones from Sunset and install them one afternoon, then have the airbag light turned off.

No, it won't go off by itself... just in case you ask!

wvicary 12-16-2006 03:10 PM

I've installed hundreds of universal O2 sensors with no problems.... maybe you just had a defective one. As for the reference air supply, Bosch states that it gets it sample from the main electrical connector. They also recommend not using anything like dielectic grease as this can block the air from the sensor wire.

I've never heard or read of adding holes at the connection site.... I would think moisture would migrate into the wire and casue corrosion.

ohioboxster 12-16-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvicary
I've installed hundreds of universal O2 sensors with no problems.... maybe you just had a defective one. As for the reference air supply, Bosch states that it gets it sample from the main electrical connector. They also recommend not using anything like dielectic grease as this can block the air from the sensor wire.

I've never heard or read of adding holes at the connection site.... I would think moisture would migrate into the wire and casue corrosion.

I have four 02's for sale if your interested. I can tell you my cel is off and I dont have any codes now. Have you installed hundreds of 02's on Porsches? If so which ones do you use?

wvicary 12-16-2006 04:12 PM

Only installed around 20 on various Porsche models over the years and used only Bosch universal sensors. I have had some problems on older Nissans using universal sensors.

MNBoxster 12-17-2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvicary

Hi,

Yes, the hole is in the connector on the Sensor half, but if you crimp on the old connector to the new sensor, you run the risk of cutting off this reference sample supply.

You can quite easily use a pin or awl and carefully put a single hole in each side of the sheathing. The hole will be so small that getting moisture or corrosion won't be a major issue, but it will be sufficient to admit a reference sample for the sensor. I'm not advocating perforating the entire length of the sheathing, I should have made it clearer...