Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
kls

Can I hard wire an Ipod in my Box?

I have a 04 Boxster and I'm planning to get an Ipod, hopefully to use on long trips. I know I can run it through an FM system fairly cheaply, but I've heard that sounds pretty lousy. At Car Toys they told me there was not yet a system to hard wire the Ipod to the stereo in the Boxster, although they could to it for $160 in my Tundra. I have the standard lousy stereo, is there any solution?

kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #2

There is a system from Dension "imminent" (which it has been for months) that will cost about $600 ridiculous dollars.

MOST is least.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
boggtown

I have heard of some people talking about an ice link or something, I went and got a new cd player with ipod interface (amazing), and you could always get an older cassette one and get a sony cassette adapter for your ipod , lol, j/k
Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i say get a new CD player w ipod function, and sell urs on ebay or something, and ull end up making money and getting a better CD player than what porshe sticks in there , great car, ****************ty sound sistems
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i say get a new CD player w ipod function, and sell urs on ebay or something, and ull end up making money and getting a better CD player than what porshe sticks in there , great car, ****************ty sound sistems
Nice thought but... from 03 onwards the system is all fiber based so you'd need to replace the amp as well, you'll also get error codes if the head unit is removed as it is coded in to the CAN bus. Non of it is impossible but you can't just remove the head unit and put in another one like you can up to 02.

Chris.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
kls

I had seen the Ice-? online, but for some reason I could never find exactly what it was, or what it cost. When I bought the car it had a Sirius radio in it that I removed, and it would seem that an Ipod could be wired in the same way.

If anyone is interested in the Sirius radio I took out (Audiovox) you can have it for the price of shipping.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #7

I'd be interested in the Sirius maybe, how much shipped to 01830?

How was it connected to the head unit?

Chris.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls
I had seen the Ice-? online, but for some reason I could never find exactly what it was, or what it cost.
Generally the IceLink setups are a harness to hook up the iPod and in many cases to control it from the head unit as though it was a CD changer, I think they usually run around $100 - $150.

For the 03+ Boxster however a whole new device was needed, this is supposedly in final testing. Eric at BumperPlugs is running a group buy which probably still will nopt make it cheap but should make it cheaper than the list price of around $600. It is supposed to allow Aux-In to the MOST units and also control of the iPod from the head unit, with PCM I think the track info is displayed too, not sure about the CDR23.

This is the unit http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php it is also supposed to have a USB port where it will allow you to play MP3 tracks froma memory stick or hard drive etc.

I have no affiliation with Dension or BumperPlugs, just passing on what I have heard here and there.

Chris.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
kls

ukchris; The unit has a round plug with 6 pins in it. I know nothing about these things, but it is simply the radio with the cable and a remote control. I have no idea if there is an antennae hidden in the car too, but if I can identify it, you can have it. I'm sure shipping would be $5-$7 and if you don't like it you can toss it.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
id be interested in it as well, if its not gone already. lemme know
thx
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
kls

If you want the Sirius system - such as it is - send me an email with your mailing address and I'll ship it and let you know the cost. KLSimmons@Canby.com
Old 11-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls
If you want the Sirius system - such as it is - send me an email with your mailing address and I'll ship it and let you know the cost. KLSimmons@Canby.com
I PM'd you my address yesterday, I'll email it too now.

Chris.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #13

I just got an iPod installation done in my 2006. It's done with hardwired FM-modulation. As soon as you hear "FM-modulation", you're likely to run in fear, and I was the same. But this is NOTHING like the wireless FM modulators. They all utterly SUCK.

This hardwired approach is fantastic, though. The sound quality is phenomenal. I seriously can't hear any difference between playing a CD and this. There's never any static (since it's hardwired).

I got it done at Abt in Chicago. I believe the unit they use costs something like $180.

I'm really, really happy with it. Strongly recommended.
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
I just got an iPod installation done in my 2006. It's done with hardwired FM-modulation. As soon as you hear "FM-modulation", you're likely to run in fear, and I was the same. But this is NOTHING like the wireless FM modulators. They all utterly SUCK.

This hardwired approach is fantastic, though. The sound quality is phenomenal. I seriously can't hear any difference between playing a CD and this. There's never any static (since it's hardwired).

I got it done at Abt in Chicago. I believe the unit they use costs something like $180.

Can you please give more info (name, link, etc) on the product?
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 AM   #15

Ditto. I am tired of the FM junk sound. Can you change stations on it? In the words of Dr. Evil..."Need the info."

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Can you please give more info (name, link, etc) on the product?
Thanks.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132

I am in chicago too and would like the info to call them! do you have any pics of what this looks like installed? where do you charge the ipod? how does it plug in etc...
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #17

Fellow Boxster Owners,

When I had my Jaguar I was also looking at Ipod solutions.

I stopped by Tweeter and they also suggested hardwired FM-modulation as an option :

http://www.tweeter.com/home/index.jsp

Since the Jag was a 2004, I'm pretty sure this would work in newer model Boxsters as well.

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
I am in chicago too and would like the info to call them! do you have any pics of what this looks like installed? where do you charge the ipod? how does it plug in etc...
I don't recall the name. You guys can give Abt in Chicago a call. Ask for John.

The install looks GREAT. You hide the cord in the center console room at the bottom. It uses the iPod connector, so it'll charge the iPod while you play it. It also needs a tiny on/off switch that I placed to the right of the steering wheel (just about invisible).

This unit can be extended with Sirius radio too. A friend of mine got that done using the same unit in his Aston Martin Vantage.

I'm totally going to do the same install in both my S4 and Gallardo. Can't stop singing its praises . And I can't believe that I didn't get this done for my cross-country road trip this Summer
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #19

I have one for sale (Cheap)

I bought one for my gf's acura. Ended up buying her a new stereo due to unrelated issues (no fricking radio code!!...not even at Acura or manufacturer...no I am not over it). So, I have one that could go to a good home. I don't have the details here but I did buy it online.

Basically you place it somewhere behind the dash and it plugs in between the antenna and the radio. When you switch it on, it disables the fm antenna and sends the signal direct. It comes with RCA cables so to get the ability to charge the ipod and use a simple dock connector (instead of headphone jack to RCA) you would need a cable from http://www.davidnavone.com/ipodadapters.htm. I have used his cables a couple of times and they work great.

You could pick power up off just about anything behind the dash (not sure if your year model has the phone connector behind there).

You would end up with a dock connector and a small switch (to turn the unit on and off).

e-mail me on jasondexterwebb at gmail.com if you are interested.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #20

I recently got a little creative with my iPod integration in my 2002 986. It's somewhat of a pricey option, but I think it's well worth it.

I wanted to have my iPod AND my XM tuner run through the stereo ("direct connect") without losing my CD changer. After a lot of Google searches (and thanks to a lot of the folks here at 986forum), I came up with a pretty cool solution.

First, for the iPod I bougt a spec.dock from www.2point5.com. A spec.dock is an iPod dock that replaces the ashtray in your Boxster. You send them your ashtray, they remove the "flip door", attach it to a spec.dock (complete with whatever wiring you need) and send it back. Here's a shot:

This cost me $199.

Second, I already had a Delphi SkyFi 2 XM receiver mounted, but I was using the FM modulator function. So I had to purchase a $20 cable to direct connect the XM.

Third, I bought a Soundgate Aux3 switch, which basically allows you to connect multiple devices to one head unit (in my case, the Becker CDR 220) and toggle back and forth between them using a small black switch, which I mounted in the "dead" space opposite the cigarette ligher (i.e., if there was a lighter on the left side of the stereo panel, this is where it would be).

The Aux3 cost me $60 I think.

I had Al & Ed's do the install for me for $200 (I'm not handy enough to be removing panels and rewiring stuff in my car). The net result is an iPod, XM Receiver and CD Changer ALL direct connected to my head unit with a nice, sleek 3-way switch mounted next to the receiver for me to choose which I want to listen to, and the iPod dock cleverly hidden away in the ashtray beneath the flip door (very James Bond-esque if I do say so myself). ONE DRAWBACK: I still have to control the iPod from the iPod itself, not from the stereo controls. But I preferred this option - others may prefer to purchase the additional hardware that lets you control it from the stereo controls.

So, spec.dock from 2point5.com, Soundgate Aux3 from some discount stereo website, XM from Al & Ed's, miscelleneous cables from Al & Ed's and about $200 of installation. It's a very sleek option and it looks and sounds great!!!

I'll also add that, although FM modulators are far, far inferior to a direct connection, the one modulator I had pretty good luck with was the dLo TransDock. If you're on a budget, this one isn't bad.

Happy driving.

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote