986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Disabling the internal handle to the rear trunk, has anyone done it here? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8555-disabling-internal-handle-rear-trunk-has-anyone-done-here.html)

Wonko The Sane 12-10-2006 09:55 PM

Disabling the internal handle to the rear trunk, has anyone done it here?

I'm thinking about disabling the internal handle (by the drivers' seat), to the rear trunk area. Has anyone else here done it? What's the likely-hood of my electronic trunk release failing on this car? Has anyone had problems with that?

docdyh 12-11-2006 02:12 AM

Why do you want to disable it?

RandallNeighbour 12-11-2006 07:10 AM

I'm guessing for security.

Wonko, is it the older cable type like I have, or electronic like the newer models? I'm sure that with either, removing the plate and disconnecting it would work fine. You may also try disconnecting it in the trunk itself because that would be far easier to get to.

I wouldn't do it though. If your battery ever dies, getting into that trunk is going to be impossible without doing some damage.

Also, if the car sits idle for over a week, the key remote is not "seen" by the car and you'd have to put the key in the door, turn on the car, turn it off and then push your rear trunk release button.

A good lock box, drilled into the floorboard of the rear trunk to keep valuables in that trunk might not be a bad idea.

Wonko The Sane 12-13-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docdyh
Why do you want to disable it?

Randall is exactly right.. Think about security with your box right now... there is NO secure place to store anything in this car. any internal lock is pathetic and only acts to aggravate thieves to destroy more if they're locked, and the front and rear trunks can be opened if they open the driver side door, which is not exactly secure due to a soft top.. Of course, to be fair, even with a hardtop it's laughably easy to break a door window (trust me, I've had three door windows broken in my last cars).

What I'm thinking is that if I disable the cable, I'd still have the electric lock.

Randall, You bring up a good point about the lock not working after a week of sitting, but I don't think that will be an issue, as well as the dead battery scenario. If my battery dies, I'd just jump it/hook it up to another car if I needed into that, and if I'm coming back from a week, putting the key in isn't that much of an inconvenience.. I think I'm going to do it, it was nice with the Miata having one secure place to lock things that I didn't want to carry.